• freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Huh? Huh

Whatever it is, I didn't do it! [Image: smiley_armscrossed.gif]

2 11,211
 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
User Info
Hi lads,can I just say I think British food gets a bit of a raw deal from you Americans, all we ever hear is a constant "mickey take" about kidney pies.NO ONE in the UK eats kidney pies, we eat lovely steak pies,steak mince pies,chicken pies,even chicken curry pies,and they are all something to behold.
In the "states" you only seem to eat fruit pies, apple, cherry, pumpkin? try a good old British Meat Pie,you won't regret it,oh and by the way,it doesn't get much better than fish and chips with mushy peas and stottie cake.
Thank you and goodnight.
Geordie Sam.
ps I forgot about pork pies (I'm not a fan) you can get them with a boiled egg in the middle of them,you eat them cold.With a nice cup of TEA.

0 79
 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
you left out: seafood pie, lobster pie,
onion pie, squash pie. (basically, same as pumpkin)

0 1,291
 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
No pics, no such thing.

Btw, nothing like chicken pot pie.Thumbup

2 546
 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
here's a couple for a quick glimpse. Biggrin
lobster/seafood:
http://maine-fresh.com/pies
onion:
http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cookbook...onion-pie/

now, I just KNOW you've seen squash pie !!

my family also does variations on these pies, using other seafood combos, and different onions for the pies when vidalias are not in season.
Hambre keep Googling if these aren't to your liking. there's ALOT more ! We do homemade CPP, and we also do turkey in a pastry shell.

0 1,291
 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM
User Info
GS, I love steak and kidney pie! You don't? Maybe I just like food.

Onion pie is just phenominal!

As a Maineiac I can tell you I'd never put our seafood in a pie, but that's me. I won't asnswer for a Portland eatery. I just want it by itself or in the case of fresh scallops (big dived for scallops 1/2 as big as your palm) just sauteed maybe a minute per side and I want mine raw in the middle. They are so sweet it's to die for. Scallops that haven't been in the supermarket swill are superb even absolutely raw never having touched heat. But you'll never see those in the markets.

One thing I will do is a sort of casserole I got from my mom. It combines a bunch of seafood with veggies and is to die for. But I never put lobster in it, or my absolute favorite, neck clams (piss clams, because they squirt when you walk near them.). I pass up lobster for steamed piss clams all the time. BTW, it isn't urine that piss clams squirt it's just salt water. In fact it's about time for us to make our way to Red Eats in Wiscassett (google it) for the best fried clams on the planet, maybe the universe. Gotta do it before the tourist season begins. That's where I pass up the lobster roll for clams. I do it every year. They have so much that's delicious and I get the clams every single time. The only place I do that - seriously.

I just have to stop. It's too late to be getting hungry just by thinking about favorites.

32 6,308
 04-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
British food? I went to see my (English) mother once and she said to me "I've made your dinner for you, son", and I looked but couldn't find..and told her. She sighed, got out of her chair, came over and pointed at a plate with 2 (bought) cold pork pies. I stared blankly at them, and she blankly at me. In order to avoid complete intestinal collapse, I asked her if there were any vegetables to go with it and she paused for a moment and said "Yes. There's some macaroni cheese".

0 1,620
 04-27-2013, 12:44 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(04-26-2013, 02:55 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Hi lads,can I just say I think British food gets a bit of a raw deal from you Americans, ...

(04-26-2013, 09:47 PM)Shaun Wrote: British food? ...

Yeah, well... you know, they think it's good. That's what counts. Biggrin

17 290
 04-27-2013, 01:21 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Here in New Orleans we eat Meat Pies. Today for lunch I had a meat pie. (OOPS actually make that 2 meat pies)...lol They are called Natchitoches (nac-o-dish) Meat Pie. It is a savory fried pie with spiced ground meat named for a small town about 250 miles from New Orleans. All I can say is YUMMY....
We also have the famous "Crawfish Pie" of the song, "Jambalaya". We have Pot Pies of beef, chicken, and turkey.

Hate to break this to ya Geordie but I'd put the food of my region of the world against anybodies... And being a foodie and former Chef, I don't know of anyone traveling to England to get some of that great British cuisine...

And for Pancho Bob Villa some of Savs eats. Something to go along with the "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file (fee lay) GUMBO"..

Savs Shrimp & Andoullie (an do ee) Okra Gumbo...
[Image: fmlw5s.jpg]

5 1,151
 04-27-2013, 01:34 AM
User Info
(04-26-2013, 04:45 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: here's a couple for a quick glimpse. Biggrin
lobster/seafood:
http://maine-fresh.com/pies
onion:
http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cookbook...onion-pie/

now, I just KNOW you've seen squash pie !!

my family also does variations on these pies, using other seafood combos, and different onions for the pies when vidalias are not in season.
Hambre keep Googling if these aren't to your liking. there's ALOT more ! We do homemade CPP, and we also do turkey in a pastry shell.
Thanks for that OldDog23,how about trying a steak pie,just braise some diced steak for an hour or so with some onions,add your stock, put into a pastry dish and "shove" in the oven gas mark 4/5 for about 40 minutes,Good honest British "grub".
Sam.

(04-27-2013, 01:21 AM)savagejoerude Wrote: Here in New Orleans we eat Meat Pies. Today for lunch I had a meat pie. (OOPS actually make that 2 meat pies)...lol They are called Natchitoches (nac-o-dish) Meat Pie. It is a savory fried pie with spiced ground meat named for a small town about 250 miles from New Orleans. All I can say is YUMMY....
We also have the famous "Crawfish Pie" of the song, "Jambalaya". We have Pot Pies of beef, chicken, and turkey.

Hate to break this to ya Geordie but I'd put the food of my region of the world against anybodies... And being a foodie and former Chef, I don't know of anyone traveling to England to get some of that great British cuisine...

And for Pancho Bob Villa some of Savs eats. Something to go along with the "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file (fee lay) GUMBO"..

Savs Shrimp & Andoullie (an do ee) Okra Gumbo...
[Image: fmlw5s.jpg]
Savagejoerude,when I think about it New Orleans probably ( who am I kidding) without a doubt beats Brit food for taste,but then it probably beats most.By the way,just been looking at your bio,2 words,John Entwistle.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Australian meat pies are better than the kind Poms eat.

(04-27-2013, 12:44 AM)RobE Wrote:
(04-26-2013, 02:55 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Hi lads,can I just say I think British food gets a bit of a raw deal from you Americans, ...

(04-26-2013, 09:47 PM)Shaun Wrote: British food? ...

Yeah, well... you know, they think it's good. That's what counts. Biggrin

True, and they can have all the sausages filled with mostly sawdust that they can possibly eat. If they like it, then who am I to comment? Biggrin

0 1,620
 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM
User Info
Well all I know is that my British ex mother in law's Shepherds pie or baked mashed potatoes and cheese with HP sauce is still some of my favorite food. Unfortunately she didn't teach her daughter how to cook and the poor thing could burn a pan of water.

My mom still fixes at least one pot pie a week all winter long. Chicken or beef with the meat cooking all day the day before.

Sav, It's not fair comparing Louisiana food to anything else Biggrin No offence meant to you but I prefer the food from a little farther south than Nawlins. I like a dollop of potato salad in the middle of my bowl of Gumbo the way it was meant to be. Wink

6 1,224
 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
Joe, that Gumbo is making my mouth water.Hambre

2 546
 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
You know, between Brian, Joe, and Sam I'm suddenly starved. 24

2 11,211
 04-27-2013, 02:07 PM
User Info
Our sausages are NOT mostly sawdust,some of them are ONLY 49% sawdust.Anyway there's NO calories in sawdust,you can eat all the sawdust YOU LIKE.
Sam.

0 79
 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-27-2013, 02:07 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Our sausages are NOT mostly sawdust,some of them are ONLY 49% sawdust.Anyway there's NO calories in sawdust,you can eat all the sawdust YOU LIKE.
Sam.

Not if it's deep fried though. It's all deep fried up north isn't it?

0 1,620
 04-28-2013, 02:15 AM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 04:01 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(04-27-2013, 02:07 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Our sausages are NOT mostly sawdust,some of them are ONLY 49% sawdust.Anyway there's NO calories in sawdust,you can eat all the sawdust YOU LIKE.
Sam.

Not if it's deep fried though. It's all deep fried up north isn't it?
There's nothing wrong with a bit of LARD,I fry my porridge in the stuff every morningSmile.12 stone,not a bit of fat on me,I'm never out the gym,walk 3 to 5 miles every day,fit as a butchers dog.
Sam.

0 79
 04-28-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
I've tried meat pies and love them but for me, my favorite English food is Bangers and mash! I love Banger sausages so much that I found a recipe and made them with my dad and they came out quite nice.
Off of the food subject for a bit....English football RULES!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers

0 143
 04-28-2013, 06:27 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
here's one that I left out.....what was I thinkin' ?
the classic Acadian "tortiere" also called a pork pie....ground pork with spices and a flaky crust. mostly a wintertime-holiday thing, although in my Dad's day, it was probably more year-round. Hambre some include some mashed potato in the mix for the filling, it helps to hold the ground pork together.

0 1,291