03-15-2017, 08:30 AM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 06:43 AM)SteelTown Wrote: I no longer use them but of the ones I've tried when I was in my experimental phase it would have to be B&M for scents and Tallow and Steel for lather

May I ask what made you stop using artisan shaving soap ?

If you feel this is better kept private, please send me a PM instead.

23 5,601
 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 08:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 06:43 AM)SteelTown Wrote: I no longer use them but of the ones I've tried when I was in my experimental phase it would have to be B&M for scents and Tallow and Steel for lather

I did not like the consistency and lack of homogeneity. They seemed to vary in scent and softness from batch to batch. Also I prefer more stringent controls over production that is found in EU artisan and commercial soaps. Another pet peeve is I am not to fond of superfatted soaps. They don't work for me as well when it comes to beard softening and comfort when straight shaving. All this is YMMV of course. As an FYI I worked on the commercial side of soap and cosmetics and know the controls and care that goes into making consistent product batch to batch so that colors my opinion too

3 737
 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 08:46 AM)SteelTown Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I did not like the consistency and lack of homogeneity. They seemed to vary in scent and softness from batch to batch. Also I prefer more stringent controls over production that is found in EU artisan and commercial soaps. Another pet peeve is I am not to fond of superfatted soaps. They don't work for me as well when it comes to beard softening and comfort when straight shaving. All this is YMMV of course. As an FYI I worked on the commercial side of soap and cosmetics and know the controls and care that goes into making consistent product batch to batch so that colors my opinion too
Are EU artisan soap makers under similar restrictions/rules as EU makeup/skin product manufacturers? My wife told me that there are lots of makeup available in US market which cannot be sold at EU countries.

1 22
 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 09:02 AM)iamsms Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:46 AM)SteelTown Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: May I ask what made you stop using artisan shaving soap ?

Are EU artisan soap makers under similar restrictions/rules as EU makeup/skin product manufacturers? My wife told me that there are lots of makeup available in US market which cannot be sold at EU countries.

EU is governed by Cosmetic Regulation 1223/2009. They also have to demonstrate safety by an independent assessor, carry product insurance, use INCI labeling standards, carry batch and expiration dating and follow EU good manufacturing process.

This does not guarantee a great soap but puts liability on the manufacturer for not following these rules.

3 737