04-08-2012, 03:53 AM
User Info
I've been watching some method shaving videos on youtube lately, and I've been thinking: what the hell?! The shaving seems like making an operation in an extremely obsessive fashion with lots of new terms (the terminology is killing me!) and weird and dangerous movements.

I am completely ignorant on this subject, and I don't want to be rude but I'm wondering; what do you think about method shaving? Do you perform it? Do we need it? Is it fun at all??

4 365
 04-08-2012, 04:50 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I'm told the system works pretty well, and I certainly wouldn't think any less of someone that uses it, but.............to me it seems like a valiant attempt to make a repeatable, teachable science out of what I consider an artform. I'm sorry if that sounds a little hoity toity, but there it is. For me a good part of the joy of it comes from choosing what soap or cream from around the globe to use on any given day. Even if I found a "perfect" one I wouldn't use it everyday. Perfection, to me, is boring. Think of your favorite car, or motorcycle, or tool. It's the imperfections, the quirks, that give them personality and endear them to us. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has practiced and enjoys Method Shaving and hear what they have to say.

0 270
 04-08-2012, 05:21 AM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 04:50 AM)Java Wrote: I'm told the system works pretty well, and I certainly wouldn't think any less of someone that uses it, but.............to me it seems like a valiant attempt to make a repeatable, teachable science out of what I consider an artform. I'm sorry if that sounds a little hoity toity, but there it is. For me a good part of the joy of it comes from choosing what soap or cream from around the globe to use on any given day. Even if I found a "perfect" one I wouldn't use it everyday. Perfection, to me, is boring. Think of your favorite car, or motorcycle, or tool. It's the imperfections, the quirks, that give them personality and endear them to us. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has practiced and enjoys Method Shaving and hear what they have to say.

Cheers to that! Great words.. which reminds me of a Leonard Cohen song called 'Anthem' and it goes like this;

'Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in. '

..Now back to shaving Smile

4 365
 04-08-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
Charles Roberts looks and sounds like a complete kook in his videos but I understand he's one of the nicest people you could meet, and he takes as much time to talk to you when you go to his store as you want. I've always been tempted to try his intro kit just to say I did it and to have the expierience but, I've got too much stuff as it is. The only negative that I see is it turns shaving into a pseudo science expieriment instead of just shaving.

0 372
 04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
Never tried it, but if it works for some, then great. i prefer taking my time and enjoying the shave. Just a personal choice.

75 20,883
 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Great words above and I agree. Even if it produced perfect, irritation BBS' every time, I'd have trouble not being able to choose what to use for my SOTD and have the great variety available to us. I guess that MY obsessive nature comes into play aside from Charles Roberts' with his method! Biggrin

P.S. thinking a bit further, if Method Shaving did indeed produce perfect, BBS every time out , I guess it would be good to have in the arsenal just in case of a big business meeting or a special date,etc. There would be no worry that you'd walk out of the house with anything less than the perfect shave. Is that guarantee possible?!?!?!

6 905
 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
The great thing about traditional wet shaving is the choices of how to.
I think it is great that people that find method shaving their thing. I would definitely would not knock them for their choice.

Personally I want to take my time and enjoy my shave. The goal for myself is to have a DFS each morning. Yes I change things and tweak my shave occasionally. At the moment it is working my lathering.

1 3,507
 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
I don't know much about it and I admit that. But I've seen one of the videos, and I don't see it being for me. YMMV, so maybe for others, just not for me.

Whenever I want a BBS I can get one w/o irritation and in 2 1/3 passes. Moreover, I LIKE my shaves now and the way I shave. I like my relaxed shaves, and from what I saw on the video, method shaving was anything but relaxed.

I'm curious about it too, not to be a practitioner of it, just out of curiousity.

I have heard that the products are good.

And BTW Java, well said. Clap

32 6,309
 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
I'm also with Java on this one. Most days I actually get to the mirror before deciding what to do.

Sometimes I use pre-shave oil, sometimes not. Sometimes I use soap, sometimes cream... .

"Life is like a box of chocolates...

2 546
 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
what is method shaving?! Huh

40 5,830
 04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 12:50 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: what is method shaving?! Huh

I was wondering that myself, and googled a bit for it. As far as I can tell, it's a way of shaving that has been developed to "give a perfect shave", and seemingly relies on proprietary products...

Honestly... if I had to shave with the same tools and products every time, I would go back to foam-in-a-can and overpriced cartridges. Part of the enjoyment is spending a minute picking the brush, lather and razor I'll be using while the water gets hot and my lather bowl is filling.

3 3,562
 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
I can't get past the ever changing jargon and nomenclature. The man does have a passion for what he does though.

2 697
 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I received a PIF of some samples and wasn't impressed. It actually made it easier for me to cut myself. I am probably sensitive to one or more of the ingredients.

The jargon annoys me. It feels like an attempt to isolate his customers from the greater community.

10 1,858
 04-08-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
+ 1 on the Jargon. Makes it sound like snake oil, straight up. That alone would be reason enough to avoid this stuff, but the complex "form changing" and "high velocity wet mix building" and everything else put the nails in the coffin.

I dunno about you guys, but I do a 2-pass shave every morning. For the 10-15 minutes I have to shave, I like to relax, enjoy my shave, and not overthink the process. I get REALLY annoyed when something doesn't work right, like a dud soap or whatever...there is no way I'd EVER have the time or patience for all the forms and pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

0 189
 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Method shaving has to be the most controversial subject in wet shaving. I'm intrigued by it, but not enough to spend the cash that it would take to try it. I do know that I make a huge mess just using a brush, cream, and bowl. I cannot imagine the mess Id make if I tried MS.

116 3,804
 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 01:04 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Honestly... if I had to shave with the same tools and products every time, I would go back to foam-in-a-can and overpriced cartridges. Part of the enjoyment is spending a minute picking the brush, lather and razor I'll be using while the water gets hot and my lather bowl is filling.

Well said!

It seems that noone in the forum has tried it.

4 365
 04-09-2012, 05:20 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-08-2012, 07:59 PM)staggerlee Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 01:04 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Honestly... if I had to shave with the same tools and products every time, I would go back to foam-in-a-can and overpriced cartridges. Part of the enjoyment is spending a minute picking the brush, lather and razor I'll be using while the water gets hot and my lather bowl is filling.

Well said!

It seems that noone in the forum has tried it.

I dunno.. I think I'd rather shave every day with the VDH Luxury Shave Kit than go back to canned foam and a cart.

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Amen, Songwind. I hope I didn't come off as being negative about Mr.Roberts or his pursuit. I think it's a noble goal indeed. I'm just saying it's not for me, that's all.

0 270
 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
"Method shaving", hmmm?

Don't know what it is, maybe it's already the way I shave because I have a method, it involves water, a brush, a soap/cream and a razor.

4 313
 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 08:04 AM)Leon Wrote: "Method shaving", hmmm?

Don't know what it is, maybe it's already the way I shave because I have a method, it involves water, a brush, a soap/cream and a razor.

Thumbup

31 7,912