04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
I have recently acquired two new shaving soaps. The first was the Klar Seifen sandalwood. The second was the Calani Spanish Sun. One soap I found to be excellent, the other, so far, a disappointment. I use my Razorock MF soap as a reference when trying other soaps. I found the Klars to be a nice mild and fresh smelling soap with an amazingly smooth shave. Klars lathers easily. I used an Astra SP and Polsiver blade. The 3 Polsilver shaves (with the same blade) were extremely close and very very smooth. The Astra was a close second. Also the skin feel after the shave was moist and comfortable. The Calani on the other hand did not pan out as well. First, the fragrance is nonexistent with only a faint soapy smell. The 6 shaves with fresh Astra blades were close but very rough and not smooth at all. I would not use a Polsilver because I did not feel that Calani would provide enough protection. The lather was full and the shaves were close but rough and unpleasant. I will try to experiment some more but I think the results will be the same. After all, getting a good shave should not be rocket science. Of the 10 soaps and creams in my rotation I would rank the Calani last in smoothness. The MF and KS were good latherers and slick and smooth. The MF being slicker but the KS having a slightly better after shave feeling. All shaves were done with bowl lather using no pre-shave and using Shavemac 177, Shavemac D01, and Seville Row 3824. Razor was a Jagger 89 Barley. I used all three brushes for the Calani so that was not a variable and I suspect it would not be anyway. Has anyone else experienced rough and uncomfortable shaves with the Calani Spanish Sun? By the way, with 40 years of DE shaving experience and since the results are so consistent I would not attribute them to YMMV. Any input would be appreciated. Much thanks!

0 113
 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
User Info
I use Klar Siefen Sport and Kabinett, and enjoy them very much. Good scent; excellent lather. Had Calani Dubai, used it little, and pif'ed what was left. Overly sweet, heavy scent; so-so lather; so-so face-feel; and it was brown in color (picky me!). I know that Calani gets raves on several forums, but I just never got into it.

3 543
 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM
User Info
It takes a while to figure out how to load calani. Its the only soap I have ever had trouble with. You should load much much longer.

8 279
 04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Second that, it takes more loading. Spanish sun is one I never tried, but I have 7 others that I use or have used, most of them are rather heavy on the scent.

IMHO good quality soap, found them nice to try but I have to say I won't buy again as I have soaps that I love more.

27 1,294
 04-27-2013, 03:36 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
My observation, too. Usually Calani soaps get rave reviews on german forums, but I'm not that impressed. I like Cathy's idea to avoid all chemical ingredients as much as possible and to produce a clean, natural soap. Very different to the approach of british soap manufacturers, using everything the chemical industry has to offer.

The results are good, I never had a poor Calani soap. But also I never found one with a "Wow!"-factor. They all were good, yes, but not overwhelming. Worth a try, but I won't buy any more.

Imho the most inconsistent is the scent. A "Cadre Noir" I had was almost unscented (or had lost almost all scent), while the other soaps I had so far (Havanna, iberian sun, and currently an Earl Grey) were way overscented. I like a subtle scent, but not an overpowering one.

0 229
 04-27-2013, 04:36 AM
User Info
(04-26-2013, 01:38 PM)john parker Wrote: I use Klar Siefen Sport and Kabinett, and enjoy them very much. Good scent; excellent lather. Had Calani Dubai, used it little, and pif'ed what was left. Overly sweet, heavy scent; so-so lather; so-so face-feel; and it was brown in color (picky me!). I know that Calani gets raves on several forums, but I just never got into it.

John, how do you compare the Siefen with the Kabinett in performance and scent. Have you used the Siefen refill. Just wondering about its dimensions.

0 113
 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 04:36 AM)sandan Wrote:
(04-26-2013, 01:38 PM)john parker Wrote: I use Klar Siefen Sport and Kabinett, and enjoy them very much. Good scent; excellent lather. Had Calani Dubai, used it little, and pif'ed what was left. Overly sweet, heavy scent; so-so lather; so-so face-feel; and it was brown in color (picky me!). I know that Calani gets raves on several forums, but I just never got into it.

John, how do you compare the Siefen with the Kabinett in performance and scent. Have you used the Siefen refill. Just wondering about its dimensions.

I would give the Siefen Sport a nod over the Kabinett. Both I find good; the Sport just a little better in lather. Two completely different scents; and Kabinett considerably less expensive. I have the Sport in the tin, which is about 35mm x 65mm. Would imagine a refill puck would have to be about that.

3 543
 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I think you need to play with the amount of water you're adding. I get nothing but exceptional lather from Calani soaps. Experiment with different ratios until you get it right. Cool

10 1,120
 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 10:12 AM)MickToley Wrote: I think you need to play with the amount of water you're adding. I get nothing but exceptional lather from Calani soaps. Experiment with different ratios until you get it right. Cool

Thanks for the input. I get good lather as well but there is no real good protection with it aginst the blade. Ill try a few more things and see if it works. Otherwise move on and stick to my old reliable ones.

0 113
 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Having used both, the Klar is a very nice product, but doesn't hold a candle to Calani in the lather department.

Calani and MdC are very close in performance for me.

13 599
 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(04-27-2013, 03:36 AM)Elbe Wrote: My observation, too. Usually Calani soaps get rave reviews on german forums, but I'm not that impressed. I like Cathy's idea to avoid all chemical ingredients as much as possible and to produce a clean, natural soap. Very different to the approach of british soap manufacturers, using everything the chemical industry has to offer.

The results are good, I never had a poor Calani soap. But also I never found one with a "Wow!"-factor. They all were good, yes, but not overwhelming. Worth a try, but I won't buy any more.

Imho the most inconsistent is the scent. A "Cadre Noir" I had was almost unscented (or had lost almost all scent), while the other soaps I had so far (Havanna, iberian sun, and currently an Earl Grey) were way overscented. I like a subtle scent, but not an overpowering one.

Martin, I have Cathy's Cadre Noir and Highland Honey which I love. I think they perform so well and smell so nice. With both these soaps I have no problem lathering, and they also give very good skincare.

3 2,562
 05-01-2013, 04:58 AM
User Info
Your experience reminds me of some lyrics in a song "one man gathers what another man spills".

I would be quite happy only using Calani and will be making a large purchase once my self imposed 2013 sabbatical ends.

14 210
 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
User Info
(05-01-2013, 04:58 AM)Kooze Wrote: Your experience reminds me of some lyrics in a song "one man gathers what another man spills".

I would be quite happy only using Calani and will be making a large purchase once my self imposed 2013 sabbatical ends.
Thanks for the input. By all means enjoy the Calani! Many people love it. My intent was not to spill or gather but to share my experience and see what others have experienced as well. Apparently others have similar feelings. My choice in shaving products are based on first performance. That means a comfortable shave with good protection. Big lather and scent without that is secondary to me but important to others and I realize that. I have used the Calani eight times with the same results with different methods. Could be a bad batch -Dont Know. But, I think its time to move on to something else and im sticking with the ole reliable ones as well.
Tabula Rasa and MdC are next. Happy shaving.

0 113
 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM
User Info
Hey Kooze, I know that one!

Back on topic, I think Calani Simple Soap is a fantastic overlooked shaving soap. I can't begin to describe exactly what it smells like, but it sure is a great fragrance.

0 1
 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
I have the Calani Iberische Sonne (Iberian Sun) and the Eis Engel (Ice Angel) and I get nothing but good shaves with them. Cool

2 5,527
 06-24-2015, 07:23 AM
User Info
Is there any place in the U.S. to buy Calani? 

I've heard such unanimous praise for it so I'd love to try some out

11 483
 06-24-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
I don't know of any place that is easily accessed where we can buy them in the USA. I would recommend using google translate and checking out the website itself.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...sierseifen

Then see if you can do a direct order from them. I have 4 pucks. Simply Soap, Kardamom/Saffron, Classic Havana, and Earl Grey. I just used the Simply Soap and it performs very nice. Gives silky lather, has good cushion and some residual slickness and post shave is favorable on my skin. It has a very strong scent that is simply pure, clean and pleasant. That would be my #1 recommendation. But if you like a fatty soap, the Earl Grey has Goats Milk and Lanolin.

74 1,090
 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM
User Info
To anybody who wondered about the capabilities of this soap: it has many formulations, depending on what you buy. Some are palm and stearic acid based with coconut oil as third ingredient, others are based on olive oil as second ingredient. Which has been debated on the forum as being the sign of a lesser performing soap.
There is a entertainment-TV  video on youtube, in German language....

Philipp

21 1,175
 06-25-2015, 09:09 PM
User Info
I have oriental plum and I love the scent and the soap performs really well!!

0 69
 06-26-2015, 03:21 AM
User Info
No need to fear about live oil in the formulation; calani soaps are very well formulated, as they all perform beautifully.

A few years ago I organized a small group-buy at the Portuguese forum, this was the result... Biggrin

[Image: 11048620ol.jpg]

Dubai and Malabar are my favourite scents... wonderful spicy notes Smile Cadre Noir is not bad either

2 5,527