04-27-2013, 05:54 PM
User Info
I looked out this afternoon to see a cat in our yard. She staggered into the middle of the yard slowly, and then just lay there.

I went out, and even though the kid from next door and I kept walking around her, she didn't really move at all. No collar, undernourished, but otherwise fine. Her black coat was fine, if dirty.

I could tell that she was hungry, so I got out some of our cat's food. Then I got her some water. It took her a while to get going on the food and water, but she kept drinking once she started.

I wasn't sure about keeping her, but my wife and older daughter took that decision off my hands. My wife took her to the vet......spent several hundred dollars, and found out that she may have kidney issues, is very old, mostly blind, but is otherwise in decent shape, given the malnutrition and thirst issues. She wasn't chipped, and has apparently been homeless for a while.

She's now home with us, in quarantine in the library. Medicated, brushed, fed, etc. She really is blind ..... she couldn't find the food and water in the room without help. She's purring away on her blanket.

[Image: temporary-13.jpg]

I'm not a cat person, but I like her. It was a rewarding experience.

37 1,731
 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
She is looking pretty content now Smile

6 1,224
 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Nice of you to give an elderly cat a home Smile I have cats and a dog too. The cats let me live here because I can pop the tops off the cans of food and buy fuzzy blankets.

1 345
 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 06:00 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: She is looking pretty content now Smile

Yep, she does look contented. Smile

As I told my wife, even if she doesn't live much longer (if the kidney issues get worse), we'll do our best to make the rest of her life pleasant.

37 1,731
 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, that's great. She actually looks quite pretty. I hope she brings your family and you lots of contentment.

2 11,211
 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Folks like you (and yours), make this world a better place.

17 290
 04-27-2013, 08:01 PM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 06:23 PM)RobE Wrote: Folks like you (and yours), make this world a better place.

+1 Great to you and your wife, Yohann!

75 20,883
 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
Good for you guys. That is awesome.

18 567
 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
It will reflect on your karma in a next life, it might not be the cat you had in mind but being the kind person you are you couldn't turn away from it could you. May she give you many warm feelings in your hart!

27 1,294
 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
User Info
(04-27-2013, 06:23 PM)RobE Wrote: Folks like you (and yours), make this world a better place.

+2 Wonderful thing for you and your family to do Johann

7 414
 04-28-2013, 12:06 AM
User Info
I salute you and yours for your kindness

0 61
 04-28-2013, 12:15 AM
User Info
Well done Yohann & family - it sounds like the cat has found her proper home now Smile

Our cat - who came to Norway along with my Better Half - is getting to be old with kidney issues as well, but after we started feeding him the kidney-diet food and making sure he always have plenty of fresh water available his kidney-values have normalised - I wouldn't worry about the kidneys too much.

I wasn't a cat person either, before waking up one morning with a very happy, sleepy and purring cat sleeping next to me...

3 3,556
 04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Aww, she looks sweet and good on you and yours for taking care of her. Thumbsup Cats are my soft my spot, I feed and give attention to 6-8 strays that are strictly outdoors (they come and go, so the number fluctuates) and I also have 3 indoor cats.

I had a beautiful little long haired calico show up 2 weeks ago, her right ear was missing and her rear left leg was crushed and stripped to the bone from the foot up to the thigh...oddly, she wasn't in much pain at all..but the bone was dry, there was no blood and from what I can see no nerves/tendons..totally stripped...I guess there wasn't much left to hurt. She was very lovable..she was purring and rubbing on my legs and even laid her head on my 4 year old nephews lap and reached up to him "pawing" for attention.

I checked around and couldn't find the owner in the nearby area, I knew she would need amputation and they run $500+ and I couldn't afford it. I found her on Saturday evening and kept her until Monday, then with a heavy heart I took her to the local humane society shelter, which is luckily a no kill shelter unless the animal is suffering or a danger. I dropped her off, not knowing if they would help her or put her down. I called back 3 days later..expecting the worst and they said she was doing well, her leg and the small remaining bits of her ear were removed and she will be up for adoption in a few weeks.

I am going to wait a month or two and then check on her..if no one adopts her I most likely will. I sort of doubt anyone will, seems when most folks want to adopt all they want are kittens/puppies or at least relatively young and perfect specimens. Angry
[Image: GBjjer6.jpg]
Here she is sleeping on a pair of my old jeans shortly after I brought her inside and fed her..hard to see her injured ear and she had her poor leg curled under her.

31 1,510
 04-28-2013, 04:36 AM
User Info
Yep, as I see it - we're the lucky ones here. She seems to be an affectionate and friendly cat. She has arthritis, I think - she was pretty stiff this morning.

Because the vet suggested that we keep a closed door between her and our other cat for a couple of weeks, we set her up in the library. The bathroom I use is off that room, so we'll be spending some time together. That's where I shave and hone and clean razors. Biggrin

This morning, she came into the bathroom when I went in for my shower, and stayed on the mat at my feet while I shaved. It was very pleasant.

The kids next door decided to call her Rosie, so the name is chosen. She must have been a domestic cat, given her demeanour. We'll put up flyers, in case she just wandered away from home.

37 1,731
 04-28-2013, 05:33 AM
User Info
Well done, Yohann. Rosie is quite lucky to be spending her days with a family who loves her and will provide for her.

I think animals come into our lives for a reason, and although we think we are helping and providing for them, it is they that give us so much more.

14 210
 04-28-2013, 05:38 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Very nice Yohann. You have made my day.Smile

I hope that she ends up staying with you a nice, long while.

Eric

6 905
 04-28-2013, 06:50 AM
User Info
Yohann, what a nice gesture on your family's behalf. She may be sick and blind, but at least she is comfortable which is the important thing. No animal deserves to be sick, painful and uncared for on the streets.

63 2,128
 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann and Byron, I sincerely hope you will continue to let us know what happens to Rosie and the long haired calico. Your kindness to these creatures is wonderful.

2 11,211
 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That cat looks a lot like my late cat I lost 6 months ago. Best of luck and enjoy.

100 12,438
 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Despite all the bad things we see everyday, gestures like these are what gives us hope there are plenty of good people around, and life is all worth it.
Thanks for being so kind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10 486