04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  • mr.jvb
  • Ontario Canada
User Info
Evening gents.

The Feather AS I purchased off another member arrived late last week. I was down with the flu, and so I could only admire the AS through dizzy-watery eyes.

A few days rest, plenty of fluids and a nice hot shower later and it was time for us to get to know each other. I loaded up a brand new Feather blade and prepped my face with Proraso Sapone cream/soap (I don't really know which it is, cream or soap? To be honest, it's the only shave soap/cream I have, as I'm only a few weeks into DE shaving).

My first impressions... it's all true!

It's true that it is super-mild. For me, this is a very good thing. No cuts or nicks. No irritation. I took on the 'dangerous curves' of my chin & jaw line with confidence. Icing my post shave face with the alum block was much less painful than usual, leaving such a nice feeling on my facial skin. My cheeks were so smooth that I couldn't stop 'petting' myself. I feel like a cat. I hate cats.

It's true that you have to find the correct angle. That three day old stubble came off like a charm once I found the right angle. And lost it. And found it again. It really is a precise endeavor.

It's true that the build is superior. Holding it, looking at it (even smelling it. I stopped short of tasting it.) reveals an attention to quality and detail that I was hoping for.

Anyway. Thanks for reading, thanks to the member for selling, and thanks to all who have posted their experiences with the All Stainless.

Any recommendations for soaps or creams?

-jake

1 12
 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
User Info
Jake hello there and nice review, good to read you can achieve a close shave with this razor which seems to be universally accused of being too mild. I am a daily shaver and the thought of a comfortable, irritation free and close daily shave (sometimes :-D ) beckons.

Good background here: http://sharpologist.com/2012/03/feather-...-fans.html which you may have read and I find it amusing that Feather emulated the Gillette design and then a generation later Ikon emulates the Feather AS D1 with it's OSS SB, the concept coming full circle and a reminder (for me) of standing on Andalucian sand dunes and contemplating the beginning of Paulo Coelho's Alchemist journey.

Would recommend the OSS to you, from what I read it is not of the same quality but provides a nice contrast and comparison to your Feather AS D1, enjoy, Frank

ps
TOBS sandalwood, Proraso white/sensitive, La Toja classic red - I find are must haves.

6 30
 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Jake congratulations on acquiring a tool that assists you to have a pleasant shave.

I rediscovered the AS D1 myself recently and am pleasantly surprised by the results of shaving with it.

Yes it is extremely mild, but it is also effective. It does the job. Although not as close or as long lasting as others it delivers an extremely comfortable, easy and irritation free experience.

The angle is definitely important otherwise it isn't effective. This may be the issue that some users face or it has also been suggested that the fault may lay with Feather and a less than perfect batch release.

As for soaps and creams, there is nothing wrong with Proraso. Using creams may be an easier start than soaps. TOBS and DR Harris have some fine creams, but a visit to the Soaps & Creams section will provide an abundant resource of recommendations and reviews.

91 17,801
 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
User Info
(04-29-2013, 03:40 PM)ben74 Wrote: Yes it is extremely mild, but it is also effective. It does the job. Although not as close or as long lasting as others it delivers an extremely comfortable, easy and irritation free experience.

I get an extremely close shave with my AS-D1 and never have any irritation issues at all, though my hair is very light and fine. Perhaps it works better for those with finer facial hair?

5 407
 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
It sure is a great looking razor -- glad it works for you.

I am curious -- did the original owner not like it or did it just not seem to work in his hands?

3 69
 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
Jake, congratulations on the new acquisition and enjoy the razor!

75 20,883
 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
This is one of my coveted razors. Thanks for the review.

14 1,177
 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
Bought it. Tried it. Sold it. It wasn't for me. Well made razor.

3 244
 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Great that it's working for you. Wish that I would have received a working one in the past. But I'm happy with the new version as this one does work for me.

I hope you get many great shaves with your new tool!

27 1,294
 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM
  • mr.jvb
  • Ontario Canada
User Info
(04-29-2013, 06:20 PM)tm3 Wrote: It sure is a great looking razor -- glad it works for you.

I am curious -- did the original owner not like it or did it just not seem to work in his hands?

I gather by the description in his ad that he tried it a few times but wasn't getting the shave he wanted. A few days in, I can see how the mildness can be frustrating, but I'll take the irritation free smoothness all day long.

-jake

1 12
 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM
User Info
Best razor available IMO. Only other razor that I use (or own) is a Pils. Congrats.

97 615
 05-02-2013, 07:21 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Glad you like the Feather AS. It is one of the best made razors in the world.

100 12,438
 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an AS-D2S.

4 358