04-30-2013, 02:26 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Well, that went without a hitch...Call it a DFS+

I have some experience with the Feather system and a few shavettes, but tonight was the first traditional straight shave..

Not nearly as sharp as I expected, or hoped.

Hot shower (after the gym)
Cold Water Shave
CO Bigelow and Rooney Heritage 2XL, just to make lathering a non-issue
Henry Sears & Sons 7/8

Found myself using the toe more than the rest of the blade, possibly because I am coming from a Feather AC non-folding.. or, who knows.

Two passes... WTG & XTG.
Stalled a few times, maybe because I am getting used to manipulating the scales around. Cold water rinse and finished with Menthol spike Proraso ASB.

No irritation, no runs, no weepers or other nasties.

I've had a few hours (of sleep) post shave but did wake a few times to faceterbate and was pleased. This morning my stubble is worthy of a daily shave so I'll have at it before work. It's pretty even, so I didn't miss any spots. Not irritation or residual burn.

I picked up a restored 7/8's Henry Sears & Sons #20 off of ebay. My strop isn't here yet, so I am going at it with giving the blade and truth told I can only say that it 'feels' sharp and presented as shave ready. Truth told, if the edge can be improved upon once the strop is in, it will be all bonus since the first shave went fine in my book. I have no idea as to the quality of the razor, but it met nearly all of the points on my 'favorite design' list. It makes me smile so I bought it....

As far as angle.. I tried to go by feel and would say 'around 2 spines' is where I ended up most of the time and oddly, it's pretty much the same angle I use for the Feather AC.

Now I need to figure out how to rearrange my storage cabinet to accommodate straights, although the cabinet has a door, it is in the bathroom and that might not be the best place to store my gear.

33 914
 04-30-2013, 03:21 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Seems to go ok, stropping should improve the shave. I use the same angle with a straight and a Feather AC just like you did. It can only get better from here on!

27 1,294
 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM
User Info
Congratulations. It is odd adjusting to the much thicker straight razor blade, but it's worth it.

If you do end up storing your straight razors in the bathroom make sure that you never miss a day when it comes to oiling the blade. Those old carbon steel blades love to rust, I learned that the hard way. Also beware of celluloid rot...the gasses from decomposing celluloid can affect the steel of any other blades stored in the same area. I'd never even heard of cell rot until I accidentally found statements about it in a discussion of vintage celluloid scales.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
A good stropping before the shave makes all the difference in the world. Congratulations on your first "real" straight razor shave.

173 23,500
 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Size wise, there isn't that much of a difference, but usable blade is quite different. Much more weaponry on the traditional.

I have room in a draw just outside the bathroom that is now going to store the straights.. I'll leave the DE's in the bathroom cabinet.

The strop is in transit. If I can find some newspaper I'll do a make-shift strop for a shave or two.

I did opt for the same razor this morning. It definitely isn't as sharp as the Feather and it take a delicate balance to be both light handed and deliberate enough to maintain forward momentum. I think that is my biggest adjustment.

33 914
 05-01-2013, 06:36 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Congrats, Mike. It's a very enjoyable learning process.

12 743
 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
Congrats. It gets better and better with time Cool

0 89
 05-02-2013, 01:57 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Cheers all!

My strop arrived yesterday. Took a few minutes of practice and then took the new razor to it. I lost count on the leather, when SWMBO came in and started the inquisition.. "you're going to shave your face with that thing?" followed by shaking her hanging her head and walking away.

33 914