04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: trumper-violet-soap-refill__27574_zoom.jpg]

Thanks to my good friend Ed I was able to try this wonderful veggie based shaving soap.Ed sent me a puck that I milled into a wooden shaving bowl.The puck was from 2009 and had the following formulation :

[Image: GFTss-1.jpg]

As you can see if one of the Palm oil based shaving soaps,whith a soap based formulation that I have seen so many times in other good soaps like the Floris Elite/JF,Edwin Jagger/Muhle,Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna and Nomad...

Many people have complained about how bad Geo F. Trumper shaving soaps are after the reformulation : well,I know for sure that some batches of these soaps are totally dull (imposible to get a good lather from them) but its not the sace of this soap.

This is a pic with a Semogue 620,just after I loaded the brush with this soap :

[Image: P1230626.jpg]

And this is a pic of the lather I got from it after a minute and a half :

[Image: P1230627.jpg]

I dont know what to say,but if they tell me that this soap is a tallow based one,I would believe it too.

Its lather its really slick,but I have experience the same with the other Trumper soaps that I have tried like the coconut one,sandalwood and roses.

Also provides a good skin care : its not a top soap,but close enough to be consireded a pretty good one.

If we add its scent,so different than other "classic" scents,we have a good alternative to the "rose,lavender,sandalwood,limes" scents out there.The scent is not as strong as the shaving cream,but its there and last during and a little bit after the shave.

I dont know what happened to this soaps or to few batches of them,but I can only tell that this one is one of the fine english shaving soaps I have tried,both in the scent deparment and skin care wise.

Lets hope for Geo F. Trumper to take care a little bit more of the quality control and deliver these nice shaving soaps again.

86 7,123
 04-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Great review, thanks Teiste! After having tried the Razorock Napoleon's Violet I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the scent, I didn't think I would be much for flowery scents. It got me interested in the Trumpers Violet scent, and your review was very helpful. It seems this soap does indeed lather better than others ( I personally have tried the Eucris puck and was very let down) so knowing the Violet is still quality is good. You mention the cream is stronger, but between the cream and the soap which would you say you preferred?

35 1,732
 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-08-2012, 02:00 PM)Tonality Wrote: Great review, thanks Teiste! After having tried the Razorock Napoleon's Violet I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the scent, I didn't think I would be much for flowery scents. It got me interested in the Trumpers Violet scent, and your review was very helpful. It seems this soap does indeed lather better than others ( I personally have tried the Eucris puck and was very let down) so knowing the Violet is still quality is good. You mention the cream is stronger, but between the cream and the soap which would you say you preferred?

90% of the times,I prefer the soap over the creams.

86 7,123
 04-08-2012, 02:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have the tallow version of this soap and it is fantastic!

45 16,352
 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
I wouldn't count on the soap "still being good"...GFT has major batch issues IME. You could get a good one,or it could be unlathereable. Up to you if it's worth the gamble.

I really wish they'd get their soaps consistent. If they did, I probably have most of them in my cabinet.

Right now, I guess I just have to be content with the "good puck" of Rose I got as a replacement for one that would not lather.

0 189
 04-08-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
Such a fantastic soap only draw back I have is the wooden bowl mixing the lather in .

1 61
 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
It's been a while since I've used Trumper's soaps (I've tried both the older tallow version and the palm oil version). I never had any issues making a good lather with either, but found that my skin didn't really agree with them. However, I've seen some threads that show very new soaps as virtually impossible to lather. Since this one is from 2009, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

30 275
 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(04-08-2012, 02:05 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 02:00 PM)Tonality Wrote: Great review, thanks Teiste! After having tried the Razorock Napoleon's Violet I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the scent, I didn't think I would be much for flowery scents. It got me interested in the Trumpers Violet scent, and your review was very helpful. It seems this soap does indeed lather better than others ( I personally have tried the Eucris puck and was very let down) so knowing the Violet is still quality is good. You mention the cream is stronger, but between the cream and the soap which would you say you preferred?

Why is this? Is the lather produced just better? But what about at the risk of getting a bad puck of soap? I'd really like t0 give the Violet a try, but it seems it might be a safer route trying the cream first.

35 1,732
 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-08-2012, 06:33 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 02:05 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Why is this? Is the lather produced just better? But what about at the risk of getting a bad puck of soap? I'd really like t give the Violet a try, but it seems it might be a safer route trying the cream first.
Usually soaps provides (for me) a better skin care,but as cvac have explained,the actual soaps could be an unlatherable one,so go for the cream first.

86 7,123