04-30-2013, 02:48 PM
User Info
Everybody of a certain age speaks of their Kennedy moment (where they were when they heard of JFK's death)I was too young (only 3)but my Kennedy moment happened 38 years later.
It was 1.50 on a Tuesday afternoon, I was looking out of my car window on a beautiful calm North Sea,there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was a warm early autumn day,people were walking their dogs on the beach below,where I was parked up having a sandwich.
Then it came on the radio,a plane had crashed into a tall skyscraper in New York,the fella on the radio said it must be some terrible accident,then, I think about 20 minutes later another plane hit the other skyscraper,this I thought was NO accident.
I started the car and drove the 15 miles to my home and turned the TV on.
I could not believe what I saw that day,it will stay with me forever.
This was MY KENNEDY MOMENT.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
Yep, same for me. My wife's dad was at a business meeting in New Jersey and actually watched the 2nd plane go into the tower. I was in chiropractic school at the time and many of my classmates were from New York. Many of them lost friends in the tragedy. So while it was hundreds of miles away, it sure did feel like it was right there.

31 7,914
 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
Well, I remember both. I was in 6th grade when JFK got killed, and working when the twin towers got it. When I showed up for coffee break I was told one of the towers had "come down" and my initial reaction, was "No effing way!". I was thinking of the earlier attempt years before done with explosives.

32 6,311
 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
User Info
I also remember both American tragedies, (too young to recall where I was for JFK) and all these years later... still puzzled by the magic bullet which removed JFK and by the two passenger aircraft which reduced the world trade centre to 'dust'... you sum up my thoughts precisely "No effing way!" fw

(04-30-2013, 03:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, I remember both. I was in 6th grade when JFK got killed, and working when the twin towers got it. When I showed up for coffee break I was told one of the towers had "come down" and my initial reaction, was "No effing way!". I was thinking of the earlier attempt years before done with explosives.

6 30
 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
User Info
I remember being on my way to play golf with a good friend on a beautiful, sunny morning. By the time we were walking down the 3rd fareware it had become pretty clear what had happened. I remember stopping at a friends home on #5 and watching Tv. When we left, all was pretty eery. Not a plane in the sky. Angry

eta: My club is only ~20 miles from a major airport.

2 546
 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I remember both quite well. I happened to be on vacation and was home enjoying a cup of coffee and watching CNN when the news broke. I spent my whole vacation watching the reporting of that event.

I was a junior in high school the day Kennedy arrived in Dallas. Two of my best friends and I skipped school to go see the President. We were standing on the other side of the grassy knoll from the School Book Deposit building when the shots ring out.

Those are two memories that I will take to my grave.

173 23,557
 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM
User Info
Wow Johnny, you don't get much closer than that regarding the JFK assassination.

63 2,128