04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
User Info
I have (what I believe to be) Muhle and Jagger V1 STF brushes as well as a newly received Kent Silvertex. I'm going to start with a couple of pictures.

[Image: adajanej.jpg]

[Image: zu3y7agy.jpg]

The Kent is 19mm, the Jagger 21mm, and the Muhle is 23mm.

My initial impressions are that the Kent is more densely packed than the others, and the tips are both straighter and softer than the other two.

The Muhle and Jagger appear to be less dense, and the tips seem to be crimped by the manufacturer.

The face-feel of the Muhle and Jagger are definitely are more scrubby than the Kent while they are dry. I always check the face-feel while dry before I actually use a brush.

I've used one STF V2, and I think that the Kent tips feel pretty close when it comes to softness - distinctly softer than the other two.

Tomorrow, I'll actually use it, and we'll see where it goes from there!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

97 615
 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
The Kent has a flatter internal glue bump than the Muhle or the Jagger. Flatter glue bumps give less of a flare out in the knot, but I actually prefer synthetics to have more density in center. I think you will find you will enjoy each for slightly different reasons.

Have fun and we look forward to your findings! Cool

1 2,827
 04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thanks for the synopsis! I look forward to more when you have a chance!

14 870
 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM
User Info
Great looking brushes, Sean! That Kent looks very intriguing.

75 20,884
 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
User Info
I look forward to hearing your thoughts of all three, one vs the other.

63 2,128
 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
Thanks for the thread, Sean.

I'm also eager to hear your thoughts of the Muhle vs. Kent.

3 270
 05-01-2013, 02:57 AM
User Info
I used the Kent this morning, bright and early, with RR Fresco. It was Fresco's turn in the lineup, so I figured I'd go with it. I gave the Kent tips a quick dip in some water and swirled it for just a few seconds in the RR. That provided enough product for my preferred prep (bowl lathering). I added water gradually (a fair amount) and the Kent quickly created enough lather for several passes. It required a fair amount of water, (but it started out virtually dry), and additional dips in the water between passes (my experience with all of my synthetics). The brush worked best with painting stroke, but it is just being broken in, and I have heard that it will splay out a bit in time. All in all, I can already say that the brush is a good performer at a great price.

97 615
 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(05-01-2013, 02:57 AM)mcgils Wrote: I used the Kent this morning,... All in all, I can already say that the brush is a good performer at a great price.

Nobody here hasn't flushed $20.00 on lesser things. All in all, this is a great bottom line. Thanks Sean. Still waiting for mine but looking more & more forward to trying it out.

17 290