04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
User Info
I'm fighting the urge to buy a puck of Penhaligon's English Fern shave soap. I'm about 90% sure that I'm going to be disappointed, but I've heard recent chatter about some improvements in Pen's shave soaps of late (ditto for Floris). Does anyone have experience with recently produced Pen's soaps?

Cheers,

Craig

0 9
 05-01-2013, 04:01 AM
User Info
no first hand experience, but everything I have heard is the SUCK

8 2,718
 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
I don't understand why they can't just keep tallow in their soaps? Is it better for the beef tallow to be used or just left to rot in the trash? Whats the deal with the EU about it?

0 84
 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I would pass until they get the formula back up to snuff...a few months back I bought an EF on ebay and was VERY dissappointed in it. I longed for the billowy soft clouds of lather but was rewarded with dissappearing foam instead, and no it wasn't my technique as I can lather everything including Williams, but this puck was just aweful for shaving...I noticed one of the ingredients was NaOH, which is known to inhibit production of lather. I also noticed that the puck was MUCH softer than I remembered, and I could almost press it down with my thumb. It worked great as a Bath soap, but I would not pay that much for a bath soap again...

68 1,416
 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
User Info
Putting it nicely...Save your money! It didn't even serve as good shower soap. The scent is still great and thats where the great ends.

1 345
 05-01-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
It's been over a year now since I use Pen's EF and was highly disappointed at that time. I have been checking their website here in the UK, and for some considerable time, their bowls of both Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern have been unavailable. I would like to read something in to this such as may be another reformulation is on the way for the better, but who knows. Their scents are amazing, just dire performance.

31 4,957
 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
I had a bowl of Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap from about a year ago that was fairly disappointing for me, so I ended up selling it. However, I still have one of their Blenheim Bouquet, which for some reason lathers a lot better and has more scent. It's not really very old, so it can't be tallow, but it's much better than the EF was.

183 12,002
 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-01-2013, 09:28 AM)Crag Wrote: I noticed one of the ingredients was NaOH, which is known to inhibit production of lather.

NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is one of the two most common caustics used to create soap. Just about all shaving soaps contain NaOH except for a handful that use KOH (potassium hydroxide) only.

Any soap that contains something like "sodium tallowate" or "sodium palmitate" was saponified using NaOH.

Penhaligon's soaps may be completely worthless, but sodium hydroxide isn't why.

10 1,858
 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
User Info
I have a puck of Blenheim Bouquet that was PIF'ed. It performs adequately. I would not say it is a great soap, and I wouldn't pay the price that Penhaligon asks for it since I'm not the biggest fan of the scent. But it's not horrible.

The creams are wonderful performers and I would buy those instead of the soaps.

12 1,243
 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM
User Info
I would agree that my BB soap is good but not great. I would equate it to the Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge or the newer Floris soaps.

183 12,002