02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Guys, I wasn't going to write this until tomorrow evening, but I felt I had to do it now. These past few months, I have used Palmolive Cool cream from the Balkans, which up until now seemed to be identically the same as the Italian Palmolive Menthol. Recently I received a tube of the Italian version, and I decided to shave with it, and I noticed a couple of slight, in fact I would say minute differences. What are they? Well, first of all, let's us forget the size, color, and style of the tubes. The Palmolive Cool tube is in a 65 gram tube which is blue in color. The cream is a light minty-blue color, and has a very strong and beautiful minty scent which I love. The lather is a pleasure to work create and stays stable and rich for a no-problem multi-pass shave. The menthol effect is POWERFUL, and it seems to intensify throughout the shave, and not only that - it lasts for a while after the shave. It also leaves the skin feeling cool, fresh and very moisturized and soothed. The Italian version is in a 100 gram tube which is green in color. The cream is a light minty-green in color, with the same rich, creamy, stable lather, the same powerful menthol effect which remains after a shave, the same fresh, moisturizing and soothing feeling, and also both creams allow easy razor glide. What is another difference between these 2 creams? I think it is the scent! Yes, that's it - there's a very SLIGHT difference in the scent! The Italian cream has a hint of a barbershoppy note to the wonderful minty scent, and the Balkan cream smells a BIT more cologney along with its minty scent. I would say also that the Balkan cream might be just a tiny bit less moisturizing than the Italian version. In any case, both creams are superb. Here are what the 2 creams look like the Italian cream is in its green packaging, and again, the Palmolive Cool from the Balkans is in its blue packaging.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562
 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
The Italian version is FREEZING cold to me (a good thing!). I'm not a fan of the medicinal scent, but I put up with it because of the excellent performance. Slick cushiony lather that leaves you feeling smooth and moisturized.

6 119
 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Craig Wrote:The Italian version is FREEZING cold to me (a good thing!). I'm not a fan of the medicinal scent, but I put up with it because of the excellent performance. Slick cushiony lather that leaves you feeling smooth and moisturized.

Craig, the Balkan cream is just as freezing cold. I sniffed again the cream from the tube, and it's definitely very slightly different. Very close to the Italian version, but yet, it does have a distinct undertone of cologne scent which makes it possible to tell where it comes from. Smile

3 2,562
 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Cologne > medicinal!

6 119
 03-01-2012, 04:13 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
No, Craig, the Balkan Palmolive Menthol is not really medicinal in its scent.

3 2,562
 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
User Info
Palmolive Menthol from Italy with a Semogue boar brush = A FANTASTIC shave. This menthol is my favorite menthol cream and the intensity of the coolness builds from my first lather through the third pass lather. A great way to start a morning in the spring and summer.

29 1,731
 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(03-10-2012, 04:04 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Palmolive Menthol from Italy with a Semogue boar brush = A FANTASTIC shave. This menthol is my favorite menthol cream and the intensity of the coolness builds from my first lather through the third pass lather. A great way to start a morning in the spring and summer.

3 2,562
 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
+2 This is my favorite menthol cream as well. The skin conditioning properties are fantastic.

45 16,351
 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Palmolive Italian Menthol S/C is my favorite cream when I want an incredible cooling effect with great skin care, glide and cushion.

45 708
 03-11-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
How does the Italian version compare to Proraso?

0 22
 03-11-2012, 05:33 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(03-11-2012, 04:44 AM)PaleoRunner Wrote: How does the Italian version compare to Proraso?

It has a lot more menthol than Proraso.

3 2,562