05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
This is a very wordy and subjective soap comparison. For those of interest, the protocol, imperfect as it is, is provided below. You can scroll down to the bottom for the results. Spoiler Alert - there was no significant difference.

PROTOCOL:
Three shaves were performed on one day’s growth with each of the candidate soaps (Panna Crema/Lavandotta; Cella; Institute Karite; Klar Kabinett). Why these three? Panna Crema (“PC”) has burst on the scene and lathered up the wetshaving community. Similarly, Institut Karite (“IK”) and its shea butter formulation was/is somewhat unique and is highly regarded. Klar Kabinett (“KK”) simply blew me away. Of course we need a common denominator we can all be familiar with, for which I chose Cella.

For each soap, each shave was with a different razor and blade combination. Each blade is used for the first or second time in each test. Therefore, each soap was used with each razor/blade combination and lathered with the same brush (loading for 45 seconds-yes, I timed it).

The criteria assessed:
a. Protectiveness – blood or irritation and magnitude of AS burn.
b. Closeness
c. Glide – ease of movement of the blade against skin
d. Smoothness – tugging or pulling
e. WTB (where’s the blade?) – during the second pass in the moustache/goatee area, I think it is desirable to have the feeling that there is no blade in the razor. This is essentially an assessment of the efficiency of the first pass.
f. Lather thickness/cushion.
g. Post-shave feel of skin judged after AS but prior to aftershave balm application.

I do not assess scent: 1] I do not have a very discriminating sense of smell; 2] I don’t consider scent important (Arko excepted) and 3] there are few attributes of a soap that are more subjective than its scent.

Lather used for each shave is likely to be thicker than one would normally use. I believe that the term used in TSN is “ultralather.” In my view, the less water I add, the less error I introduce (when added, I will use a ¼ teaspoon measuring spoon). Intuitively, I think that the thicker the lather, the greater the chance to observe a soap’s attributes. However, I’m sure one can argue strongly against this approach, but…c’mon, it’s only a hobby.

For the aftershave test I consider the aftershave sting/burn, i.e., AS sting/burn. I measure out ¼ teaspoon aftershave in a measuring spoon.

Scoring from was from 0 to 4, including fractional values. Grades were recorded immediately after shave to get first impressions.

RESULTS
Overall average score, Klar Kab = Inst. Karite > Cella = Panna Crema.
Before objecting, one should be aware that the difference in score between the two first place and the two last place was a whopping 0.07 points. For all intents and purposes, this is a draw. I kind of expected this per my earlier post suggesting that the top soaps are so good that one can be hard put to differentiate between their performance.
Interestingly, the two non-tallow soaps get a slight nod over the tallow-type. This is the second comparison in which I observe this trend. After doing some research into the chemistry of soap-making I am not really surprised that non-tallow soaps can be the equal of the tallowed guys.
Thanks for listening.

1 739
 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
It looks like a good systematic way to make a comparison.

But, I am wondering if your Scoring from 0 to 4 was for each of the criteria assessed vs. for each soap's overall performance?

And who said it was only a hobby?

1 819
 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM
User Info
Haven't tried the others, but Klar Kabinett really is pretty nice, isn't it?!

3 543
 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Very interesting, Ted. I have to say that with so many soaps and creams that I like (and that have the excellent attributes you based your test on), I choose which I'm going to use by the mood I am in and here is where scent, for me, plays its role. Am I in the mood for a citrus scent? floral? earthy? You get the idea. Smile

2 11,211
 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Great assessment and write-up!
Well done. Smile

75 20,883
 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
Well done.

I've used Cella and KK, not the other 2. KK is indeed a very nice soap.

32 6,308
 05-01-2013, 10:42 PM
User Info
(05-01-2013, 07:42 PM)freddy Wrote: Very interesting, Ted. I have to say that with so many soaps and creams that I like (and that have the excellent attributes you based your test on), I choose which I'm going to use by the mood I am in and here is where scent, for me, plays its role. Am I in the mood for a citrus scent? floral? earthy? You get the idea. Smile

Same. But my DRH has so little scent compared to everything else that I'm finding that I hardly ever reach for them. Same with Haslinger's Ewe's Milk & MWF.

9 2,988
 05-02-2013, 04:15 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate that others consider the scent of a soap in determining its place in the rotation. I also reach for a particular scent from time to time. But since I was after performance-related criteria I decided to ignore scent. Ideally I would like to compare the unscented versions of different soaps. So far, I only have QCS unscented (a special group buy on B&B) and Mike's unscented. I believe Mystic Water also has an unscented version, but I have never been able to produce a good lather with regularity using other MWs.

1 739
 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I haven't tried Klar but the feel of the Karite and the smell just didn't work for me. I washed it off and used another tallow based one.it just didn't work well for me. PC,as you know, I luvs it! Cella is nice for me, but then again I like Italian croaps a lot. Enjoy!

0 205