05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It's the pits!

[Image: JBYnIFv.jpg]
***Not me in the pic!***

Deodorant / Antiperspirant recommendation...

Ladies and gentleman, I'm calling on the collective genius of the forum to recommend me a deodorant or antiperspirant.

I do understand that to some these are two different things, but I am interested in either as in my mind they achieve a similar goal.
Deodorants fight bacteria that cause offensive smell and antiperspirants eliminate sweating.
IMO if I'm not sweating I'm not stinking...

Remaining dry in the underarm department is important to me, but smelling fresh is paramount.

I do sweat. Our climate is hot. My work is often physical. I will sweat no matter what.

I do not shave my underarms and for that reason I prefer a spray to a roll on.
I know some will argue that hair will trap the spray and make it less effective, but spray remains my favourite.

I don't believe I have sensitive pits, but they don't like being told they smell, so maybe I do...

Something natural and non carcinogenic would be nice, but performance is even more important.

Price is not a dictator in my decision, I'm always prepared to pay for quality, but I do like to see value in it.

I hate the powdery residue that is often left on clothing.

I'm considering RazoRock and Speick (in the absence of other suggestions), so any experiences with these I'd be interested in.
Of course any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Please help...

[Image: HGuQMFl.jpg]
***I won't require any pit sniffers!***

91 17,830
 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
Ben, I have somewhat sensitive pits, developing rashes with most sprays and some roll-ons. One that I do tolerate well, and which my wife likes, is the Armani Acqua di Gio roll-on. It's not cheap, but it has a very nice subtle scent and seems to do the job well.

184 12,002
 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
I can't use antiperspirants so I've been hunting for a while for something that holds up.

I switched to the cheap alum based roll on Crystal this winter. It's held up to my workouts, but we'll see now that the heat is coming. Using these its paramount that you clean well in the shower then apply as quickly as possible.

0 46
 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
I borrowed this off the web as it summarizes my thoughts and saves me a lot of typing...

Quote:Why choose a natural deodorant over an antiperspirant?

Most people think that antiperspirants and deodorants are the same thing, but they aren’t. Antiperspirants work by clogging, closing, or blocking the pores with powerful astringents such as aluminum salts so that they can’t release sweat. (Note that aluminum can accumulate in the brain.) Deodorants work by neutralizing the smell of the sweat and by antiseptic action against bacteria. Deodorants are preferable because they don’t interfere with sweating, a natural cooling process.

Baking soda works wonders because it neutralizes the odor of sweat. Just sprinkle a light covering of baking soda onto a damp washcloth. Pat on. Don’t rinse.

This tip—just using baking soda—has saved me on many occasion, especially when traveling.

Basic Deodorant Powder
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
A few drops essential oils such as lavender or cinnamon

Place the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Sprinkle a light covering of the powder on a damp washcloth. Pat on. Don’t rinse.

Basic Liquid Deodorant
1/4 cup each witch hazel extract, aloe vera gel, and mineral water
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
A few drops antibacterial essential oils such as lavender (optional)

Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake to blend.

Makes 3/4 cup

Shelf life: Indefinite.

I haven't tried the "recipes" nor baking soda before but I think that I will. I avoid antiperspirants though. I never like using anything that prevents the body from performing natural functions of which sweating is one. I currently use an Old Spice High Endurance deodorant. I also avoid the alum deodorant/antiperspirants as they give me a rash.

31 7,912
 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
User Info
With my recent purchase of a big chunk of alum, I now have 3 pieces of alum. My old facial piece and the one I used to use for my antiperspirant. So now I have two for use as antiperspirant. It just plain works for me.
When getting ready to go out or after shower and shave I'll take the alum and wet it like you do for your face and rub it good in my arm pits working it through the hair. So it takes a little bit of time, not much and I'm just use to it now so it does not seem like it's a very long process. It really isn't long at all but it is longer than just using a roll on or stick. It leaves your pits wet and I just tap a towel to dry them off. Do not wipe, tap dry so you do not wipe the alum of the skin.

Fab

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

0 33
 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I like the crystal stones....they seem to hold up in hot weather at least as well as deo, if not better...and NO SCENT or waxy pits !
and the military uses them, too. I apply somewhat generously for lasting results.
I use them with distilled water, and also like using unscented baking soda soap from
Grandpa's Soap Co. in Erlanger, KY. for the first act. No irritation for me, but I do know a person who doesn't fare as well with the stone.

(crummy spelling edit)

0 1,291
 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(05-02-2013, 03:19 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: I like the crystal stones....
I use these on occasion and they really do work very well. i use Thai Crystal and get them from Whole Foods. I also use the DR Harris Windsor Stick which also works very well, but is VERY expensive compared to the Thai Crystal deodorant at around $2 USD.

I like the scent of the DR Harris product and use it when I shave with Windsor and use Windsor AS that day as well.

Good luck on your quest, Ben...I know it can be a hard search!

68 1,416
 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you all for your responses!

91 17,830
 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've decided to undertake some testing for myself...

I have ordered the following:

Razorock Alum Spray Deodorant - Lavender
Razorock Alum Spray Deodorant - Aloe
Speick Men's Deodorant Spray
I Coloniali Deodorant Milk with Hibiscus Spray
Lucky Tiger Vetiver Deodorant and Body Spray

If I have no luck with these, then I will force myself to try some roll ons, in particular:

Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant and Deodorant
MenScience Advanced Deodorant

I'm still taking suggestions if anyone has further advice or recommendations...

91 17,830
 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(05-02-2013, 07:43 PM)ben74 Wrote: I've decided to undertake some testing for myself...

I have ordered the following:

Razorock Alum Spray Deodorant - Lavender
Razorock Alum Spray Deodorant - Aloe
Speick Men's Deodorant Spray
I Coloniali Deodorant Milk with Hibiscus Spray
Lucky Tiger Vetiver Deodorant and Body Spray

If I have no luck with these, then I will force myself to try some roll ons, in particular:

Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant and Deodorant
MenScience Advanced Deodorant

I'm still taking suggestions if anyone has further advice or recommendations...

Ben, I just recently picked up the Speick stick for myself to try out. Today was my first go, so here's my initial impressions.

Unfortunately, it was a chilly day after a 50 degree drop in temp from Tuesday so no idea on the anti-persperant properties, and doubly so on anti odor. I can say, however, that it didn't go on greasy like other semi-transparent deodorants (I'm looking at you Old Spice...), and left no residue on my shirt. It has a somewhat strong Speick scent though which I'm still deciding if I actually like, though no comments were made from others about smell (thankfully?). I'm not sure if I would use it if I decided to use any cologne, I'd go back to my Toms of Maine unscented.

I'll be interested to read how strong of the scent the spray version has.

35 1,732
 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks Anthony, I'll let you about the strength of the scent of the spray. I'm still waiting on my last order from Phil (placed on the 17th). The one before took only 10 days, so delivery times do vary. It will no doubt be around 2 weeks before it lands...

91 17,830
 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ben, I know you are looking for a spray but I really like the Mineral Salts stick. It's reasonably priced, lasts for at least a year, and, most importantly, does what it is supposed to do. It prevents odor even in August-September which in San Diego can be quite muggy and hot. It is not an antiperspirant so sweating might occur. However, I hate the unnatural feel of antiperspirants on my skin. I am allergic to most deodorants but have absolutely no problem with the mineral salts. The photos show the product I use and if the identical product isn't available in Perth then I should imagine there is something quite similar. Good luck in your search. Smile

[Image: rFItKvY.jpg] [Image: e6jsnsl.jpg]

2 11,211
 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
Dittos a crystal derived deodorant. I use an alum block; it works fantastic! It also allows me to perspire but not smell at all. Maybe the roll ons have a scent. What I use doesn't.

32 6,309
 05-07-2013, 10:46 PM
User Info
Alum for the win - although I'm not using the same block as I use on my face.

3 3,564
 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
[Image: oBGbASI.jpg]

I used "Lucky Tiger" Vetiver Deodorant and Body Spray yesterday and again this morning.

It is a non-aerosol spray deodorant. It's is made with botanical extracts and essential oils (including Vetiver, Rosewood and Spearmint). It also contains witch hazel and glycerine. The scent is very robust. The dominate notes are the earthy, musky smell of Vetiver followed by the more mild sweet, spicy and floral aroma of Rosewood. There is just a hint of refreshing, mint.

The scent is pleasing, but IMO overpowering as a deodorant. The scent lingers, but does eventually soften. Choice of cologne would require careful selection as the two would need to compliment each other.

As ar as performance, it s a deodorant and not an antiperspirant. Sweating was minimal however and I smelt and felt fresh all day.

SWMBO indicated she approved of the scent.

I'll continue to use it, but don't believe I've found the one.

91 17,830
 05-10-2013, 03:33 AM
User Info
While I live in colder climate, I often have had problems with sweaty and stinky arm pits up until 8-10 years ago, when I decided to do a serious research looking for my personal magic formula to avoid this annoying problem.

What I ended up with was - by far - the best and most safe formula for my pits and I have never looked back since that.

You may know I'm into fragrances and own 200+ bottles of EDT/EDP, so I had to look for a solution that did not interfere too much with my fragrance du jour, but still kept my pits dry and non smelling.

I now use this 'formula' each morning, and sometimes also each night.
It consists of 3 products, yes I need 3 products and they keep my pits secure and safe.

After the shower I apply:

1. Nivea deodorant scent fred Roll on - a thin liquid, never leaves any residue
2. Sanex Anti Perspirant deodorant spray - a very dry powdery spray, that never leaves any residue
3. Pierre Cardin Deo Spray (I own 3 scents of this) - it works very efficient as a sealer of the two first and smells pretty well too. I own an aquatic version, a leather/tobacco based version and a fougére fresh version.

I know 3 deo products sounds excessive, but I have now used this formula for 8-10 years and I can count on my fingers the times I have smelled of sweat since starting using it.

Cool

22 5,055
 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM
User Info
I will join my vote with the alum (stick) contingent here. Try it; you might like it, Ben!

47 1,270
 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
With all the favourable comments regarding the Crystal / Alum stick I will be ordering one soon.

But, I've just received a few more sprays to try first!

91 17,830
 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM
User Info
You really should try the 3 layer deo option I use and recommend, Ben Smile

It really does work, I almost never transpire any more, at least not from the pits Tongue

22 5,055
 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM
User Info
The Alum Block I got at Whole Foods (same as the alum block suggested for an after shave treatment) is probably the best solution I've found.

I ride to and from work, and I hate showering in locker rooms, so I need a good deodorant to avoid scaring off my co-workers. The alum block is the best solution I've found. Still, some days, I really have to shower at work. Luckily, my employment comes with a membership to the gym which is about a half block away.

37 1,731