05-02-2013, 04:22 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Can anyone tell me whether or not the ultralather technique works regularly or predictably with Mystic Waters. I have had problems lathering this soap but would consider trying it again as an ultralather.

Thanks.

1 741
 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
User Info
Haven't tried it myself, Ted, but no reason why not. Personally I am not a fan of this method. My belief is that a product should perform by itself, and if not, then forget it altogether. There are far too many excellent soaps around to resort to that. That said, I must be a glutton for punishment. Having failed miserably with MW soaps, I have just ordered Sandalwood from Michelle to try again.W00t

31 4,957
 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 10:16 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Haven't tried it myself, Ted, but no reason why not. Personally I am not a fan of this method. My belief is that a product should perform by itself, and if not, then forget it altogether. There are far too many excellent soaps around to resort to that. That said, I must be a glutton for punishment. Having failed miserably with MW soaps, I have just ordered Sandalwood from Michelle to try again.W00t

I don't quite understand your statement in this regard "...a product should perform by itself...". UltraLather is not adding anything to it like a superlater or uberlather (combining soap, cream, & glycerin). Rather, it is a lathering technique which you have regardless of how you do it or by what name you give it.

To the OP, I have not used MW and have no intentions to. I've read of many people having lathering issues, some of those going back to it later with much better and even great results. I'm not sure as to why this happens. In and of itself, people are lathering with it so I'd presume that an UltraLather is quite possible. The rub is that you ask for consistency. This is what I read many people have trouble with MW is getting that great lather consistently. Those that can get it though rave about the soap.

Bottom line, get some and try it. I'm sure plenty of people here would be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

31 7,912
 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
The ONLY way I could get MW to lather was with Distilled water, but who wants to keep distilled water when they could just use another soap / croap? It was sad really because I had mentioned the issue to the soapmaker and got a belittling email response to the effect that I didn't know what I was doing, so I just PIF'd the soap and moved on. Too many great soapmakers around to waste my time on one that does not like feedback.

68 1,416
 05-02-2013, 11:46 AM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 10:29 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 10:16 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Haven't tried it myself, Ted, but no reason why not. Personally I am not a fan of this method. My belief is that a product should perform by itself, and if not, then forget it altogether. There are far too many excellent soaps around to resort to that. That said, I must be a glutton for punishment. Having failed miserably with MW soaps, I have just ordered Sandalwood from Michelle to try again.W00t

I don't quite understand your statement in this regard "...a product should perform by itself...". UltraLather is not adding anything to it like a superlater or uberlather (combining soap, cream, & glycerin). Rather, it is a lathering technique which you have regardless of how you do it or by what name you give it.

Whoops! Sorry, Brian, I misunderstood the OP. I was referring to uberlathering which quite obviously the OP isn't. My mistake.

31 4,957
 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
I thought that might have been what you were referring to. Some of our nicknames can get confusing though for sure.

31 7,912
 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM
User Info
The ultralather method is what I used to get the best results out of my puck.

You should try it and report back so we can compare notes.

9 2,988
 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Personally, I find MW to be easy to overload. I use Michael Hamm (Leisureguy)'s method and get a great lather out of this soap.

10 1,858
 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM
User Info
Man, i need to find a way to make a video on lathering this wonderful soap! Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
User Info
(05-03-2013, 07:42 AM)Songwind Wrote: Personally, I find MW to be easy to overload. I use Michael Hamm (Leisureguy)'s method and get a great lather out of this soap.

What method is this?

31 7,912
 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'll just let him tell it in his own words.

10 1,858
 05-08-2013, 04:33 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(05-02-2013, 10:37 AM)Crag Wrote: The ONLY way I could get MW to lather was with Distilled water, but who wants to keep distilled water when they could just use another soap / croap? It was sad really because I had mentioned the issue to the soapmaker and got a belittling email response to the effect that I didn't know what I was doing, so I just PIF'd the soap and moved on. Too many great soapmakers around to waste my time on one that does not like feedback.

I'm glad the distilled water worked - I will try it.

(05-02-2013, 11:07 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The ultralather method is what I used to get the best results out of my puck.

You should try it and report back so we can compare notes.

So far I am struggling with this soap. I will try distilled water b/c I cannot understand how so many experienced people cannot get this stuff to lather like other claim. It may be the water. My basic ultralather technique did not work. I am trying a somewhat Draconian modification of it and I get a lather that shaves well, but is thin and unstable. You have to work fast, which I do not like to do.

1 741
 05-08-2013, 06:13 AM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 10:37 AM)Crag Wrote: The ONLY way I could get MW to lather was with Distilled water, but who wants to keep distilled water when they could just use another soap / croap? It was sad really because I had mentioned the issue to the soapmaker and got a belittling email response to the effect that I didn't know what I was doing, so I just PIF'd the soap and moved on. Too many great soapmakers around to waste my time on one that does not like feedback.

I make every effort to be professional, patient and kind in all my interactions with customers and to respond promptly to their questions. I may sometimes fall short of that ideal, and I sincerely apologize if you were offended by a reply or explanation that I gave you. I do invite feedback and have made many changes to my products based on customer suggestions, as my testers and others know. Even though I realize that I won't be able to please all the people all of the time, I'm always looking for ways to make my products better. If it didn't work for you, I'm sorry.

0 225
 05-08-2013, 03:47 PM
User Info
(05-08-2013, 04:33 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: So far I am struggling with this soap. I will try distilled water b/c I cannot understand how so many experienced people cannot get this stuff to lather like other claim. It may be the water. My basic ultralather technique did not work. I am trying a somewhat Draconian modification of it and I get a lather that shaves well, but is thin and unstable. You have to work fast, which I do not like to do.

Not sure I'd call mine thin, but it does evaporate faster than some other soaps. Still, I wouldn't say it forces me to move faster than normal. But, I may shave faster than you.

This is compared to highly regarded soaps like MdC, RR, etc. Compared to other soaps, MW is a step above I'm sure.

9 2,988
 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
User Info
I'm fortunate in that I've never had problems getting any soap or cream to lather. I live in Seattle and I'm told we have soft water here - no doubt that helps, but on a recent trip to southern California (HARD water) I still had no problem getting lovely lather. Maybe my luck will run out, and I'll have a lather malfunction someday. My approach has been to simply use a bit more product, be patient, and all will be well.
I guess one way to put it might be that there are two types of wetshavers: those who've had a seriously malfunctioning shaving lather experience, and those who haven't...YET.
We'll see...
Euro

5 394
 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM
User Info
(11-18-2014, 09:26 AM)opsimath Wrote: I'm fortunate in that I've never had problems getting any soap or cream to lather. I live in Seattle and I'm told we have soft water here - no doubt that helps, but on a recent trip to southern California (HARD water) I still had no problem getting lovely lather. Maybe my luck will run out, and I'll have a lather malfunction someday. My approach has been to simply use a bit more product, be patient, and all will be well.
I guess one way to put it might be that there are two types of wetshavers: those who've had a seriously malfunctioning shaving lather experience, and those who haven't...YET.
We'll see...
Euro

This is my mantra with all soaps and to add to this, you could always rub the soap on your face or use shave-sticks to aid in getting a better lather. Ahh, how fortunate we are with our very soft water. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
'Tis been a long time since I have tried MW and in that time I have absolutely luxuriated in the wave of new artisans. So I cannot say that I miss struggling with MW, although it was excellent the couple of times it did work.

Like Confucius said: "Man who don't know when to punt eventually trip on his own beard." It's a loose translation of course.

1 741
 11-22-2014, 11:34 PM
User Info
I just got in some soaps from Mystic Water and thought I would give them a try. I always try to take a new soap and just do a lather test to see if I am going to like it or toss it. Well the first time I tried Mystic Water (Lilac) it started off bad, I just could not get it to lather up, so I almost just gave up but then I figured I would try again and I put my brush back on the puck and gave it several whirls and just a tiny bit of hot water and there it was......nice thick silky lather! So maybe it was that combination of just the right amount of hot water that did the trick.....But it was nice, so Mystic Water will stay in my shave den.....I know some folks want a soap that just lathers up quick and off they go, but maybe... just maybe that extra effort will pay off in the end.

10 399
 11-23-2014, 12:05 AM
User Info
The trick is to get more soap solids on your brush, face or both. Letting hot water soak on top of the puck for a sort time will soften the soap so that the brush can pick up more solids. Likewise, using a soap stick or using a puck like a stick introduces more soap solids directly on your face. I use both methods every time I shave and I never fail to get great lathers. The only time I miss on the lather is when I cut corners with using enough soap.

9 1,199
 11-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
MW reminds me of the expression "you never get a second chance to make a first impression." The competition is simply too strong to look back...

16 543