04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got some samples while at the Mall of America the other day. So far I have created one test lather and used it for one shave, both successful.

First off, kudos to the Body Shop for giving out samples, and making them pretty generous. Looks like I should easily get 5 or six shaves out of the two little containers they gave me.

I got a great shave today with it (up until the point where I pushed an old blade too far and gave myself razor burn, but that's my fault). It creates a thick, dense lather quite easily. I have lathered it with my Omega Pro 49 and my short lofted silver-tip.

After the shave, my skin was left feeling pretty nice. Not quite as good as with Mike's, MWF or Spencer & Devon, but still a step up from soaps that don't have any skin care ingredients.

The smell is, sadly, unimpressive to me. It reminds me very strongly of the sort of scent you'd get in a blue gel bodywash with a name like "Clean Rain" or "Spring Waters." It's a very synthetic smelling scent, and has no real depth. It's just not the caliber or type of scent I have grown accustomed to in my shave products.

All in all, it's a good cream with a lot of good things going for it. If they offered an unscented version, I would probably buy one. At $14 for 6oz, it's a very good cream for the price.

10 1,858
 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
TBS is great for samples.

that said, the cream is a great performer but i can't stomach the scent.

almond, lime, coconut, mint...anything would be better and they'd sell a ton more.

8 2,718
 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I tried a sample of that cream also and I agree with you - it performs great, but the scent is lousy.
(04-08-2012, 02:53 PM)Songwind Wrote: I got some samples while at the Mall of America the other day. So far I have created one test lather and used it for one shave, both successful.

First off, kudos to the Body Shop for giving out samples, and making them pretty generous. Looks like I should easily get 5 or six shaves out of the two little containers they gave me.

I got a great shave today with it (up until the point where I pushed an old blade too far and gave myself razor burn, but that's my fault). It creates a thick, dense lather quite easily. I have lathered it with my Omega Pro 49 and my short lofted silver-tip.

After the shave, my skin was left feeling pretty nice. Not quite as good as with Mike's, MWF or Spencer & Devon, but still a step up from soaps that don't have any skin care ingredients.

The smell is, sadly, unimpressive to me. It reminds me very strongly of the sort of scent you'd get in a blue gel bodywash with a name like "Clean Rain" or "Spring Waters." It's a very synthetic smelling scent, and has no real depth. It's just not the caliber or type of scent I have grown accustomed to in my shave products.

All in all, it's a good cream with a lot of good things going for it. If they offered an unscented version, I would probably buy one. At $14 for 6oz, it's a very good cream for the price.

3 2,562
 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
User Info
The scent is 'take it or leave it' with me, but it hasn't stopped me from using it in a rotation. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of TOBs Avocado to me.

In fact, I used it this morning because it has become one of my 'hurry up' creams ... because when I'm running late and need to hurry up its one of the products I grab first ( it's this or MEM ) simply because it's a no brainer to lather quickly with little effort, and it provides tons of slickness for when I'm not taking my time with a razor. So far it hasn't failed me. I can almost auto-pilot this cream. The scent isn't an issue in such a short shave scenario.

When TBS runs their buy 2 get 1 free, or buy 1 get 1 half price it's a great product to stock up on.

0 252
 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Not a fan of their scent either. Smelled like detergent mixed with something else to me.

0 115
 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I need to stop by and get some of this stuff. I've heard good and bad on it.

116 3,804
 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 05:14 PM)Dave Wrote: I need to stop by and get some of this stuff. I've heard good and bad on it.

ask for a couple samples, they are more then glad to give you a few.

8 2,718
 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good cream with a poor scent...I like the scent of the old one better.Actually Cyril R. Salter Sandalwood cream smells pretty close to what the old TBS shaving cream used to.

86 7,123
 04-09-2012, 01:29 AM
User Info
I really like the Body Shop cream. Great performance, it works very well on my skin, although the scent is definitely nothing to write home about.

2 5,532
 04-09-2012, 02:55 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I join those who like Maca Root cream. It provides fine lather, cushion and glide. It also leaves the face comfortable after the shave, which for me is an indication of a good product.

I have had it in the rotation for while and enjoy everything about it, including the fragrance. I picked up three tubs of it, because the store which my wife and daughters frequently visit had it on sale — buy one and get one free — and I often tag along.

132 2,614
 04-09-2012, 02:58 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I've had this cream.

While it worked OK, the scent was "meh".

4 313
 04-09-2012, 04:46 AM
User Info
Performance wise this is one of the best creams out there. The scent has always reminded me of laundry detergent, not the best but certainly not the worst.

0 372
 04-09-2012, 05:13 AM
User Info
I've used this a few times and the performance was just fine. I scent isn't very strong and I hardly notice it.

0 836
 04-09-2012, 05:22 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
Still one of my favorite shave creams right along with a puck of MWF.

7 243
 04-09-2012, 05:23 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-09-2012, 05:13 AM)5Savages Wrote: I've used this a few times and the performance was just fine. I scent isn't very strong and I hardly notice it.

This is true. It's not an overwhelming scent by any means. Maca Root is definitely in my list of candidates for the next time I purchase a cream, just not a shoe-in.

10 1,858
 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
User Info
This cream is one of my all time favorites because of the following: The lather is extremely easy to produce in copious amounts, rich and thick lather, good glide, you can get it locally and it is very cheap. The scent at first I find it to be a little bit weird (like grass), but it is weak and won't interfere with any other product you use. But of course YMMV!

10 605