05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
User Info
I got the hankering to get my DE razors in the mix with my straights since they were just collecting dust, and I pulled the trigger on a Cadet Robusto from Phil this afternoon. I went through several pages of this forum and found nothing on this particular model, and wondered if anyone has it and wants to tell me the good or bad with this razor.

0 372
 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I have one. It is a very efficient shaver. I am very happy with the shaves. It is aggressive which for me is a good thing. Nothing to fear. Make sure to get a thick lather and it will reward you.

44 632
 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
Excellent! If it behaves like my New Long Comb, I'll be very happy with it.

0 372
 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Mine is on deck. Check my SOTD on B&B
Stephen Gooze

44 632
 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
User Info
I'm expecting to receive a Robusto from Phil in the next few days. I have a Cadet open-comb (TP-44), and I like it a great deal. If the head's the same, I'll be very happy.

I have been using my vintage Gillettes a great deal of late, in particular my (U.S.) Aristocrat and President. I like the shorter handles of the Gillettes, and so I'm looking forward to the Robusto, which appears to have a shorter handle than the TP-44.

I'll post a SOTD with my impressions after I receive the Robusto. I look forward to your review as well.

Best regards,

Dan

1 69
 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM
User Info
I should have it by Monday, Tuesday the latest. Will definately post my findings.

0 372
 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
User Info
I received my Cadet Robusto today from Phil. It's a handsome little razor--especially for the modest price!

I'll fire it up tomorrow morning and report back!

And let me once more praise Phil's superb customer service and speed of shipping!

1 69
 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
I recently got one from Phil, and really enjoyed it with an Astra SP. It was less aggressive than my Tradere OC 1st gen (which is still milder than my MMOC) but more aggressive than all my other safety bar DEs. The first shave was a tad harsh, but I went with a shallower angle the next day and it was super agreeable after that. The RazoRock Bastogne looks identical, but has been out of stock for eons. At $25, this is a great value.

3 195
 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
I compared the head of my new Robusto to my Cadet TP-44, and they appear to be identical. I like the TP-44, which I find moderately aggressive but predictable and thus a fine shaver.

I've been using my Gillettes a great deal of late, and I've grown fond of their shorter handles. That's one of the reasons I went for the Robusto.

I have mine loaded with a Gillette Super Thin for tomorrow's shave.

1 69
 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
Mine showed up in the mail today, from Southern Califronia to West Central Florida in under 48 hours, how's that for speedy shipping!

The plating on this razor is flawless and the blade loaded perfectly with no fiddling to make it even. It looks better than my EJ89L and I didn't think that would be possible. The height of the razor along with the width of the handle mirrors my fat handled tech, even the top plate is identical in thickness, width and length.

I loaded it with a Treet Durasharp carbon blade which is one of my favs and will give it the initial go tomorrow. I'm trying something a bit different, as I will be trying out Bruce's 3 razor system this week. I'll be using the Robusto with the Treet, EJ with a Voskhod and the Tech with a Red IP.

0 372
 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
I have been sick today and have spent most of the day in bed. I'm hopeful that tomorrow I'll feel well enough to shower and shave!

1 69
 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
User Info
[Image: pz456hv.jpg]

I started feeling better late this evening. I started laying out my gear for my shave in the morning and then began washing my face before going to bed. But as I washed my face, using a bulk sandalwood soap from Whole Foods, I began building a lather . . .

So I went ahead and shaved! I hadn't shaved since seven o'clock since yesterday morning, so I had more of a beard than I usually do. But the Robusto, loaded with a Gillette Super Thin, handled it very well. I ended up with a very, very smooth shave--a real pleasure after feeling so crummy almost all day!

I don't think that the Robusto is a terribly aggressive razor, and it felt very predictable loaded with the Gillette Super Thin.

I like the weight of the razor, and I like the size of the handle. I've taken to propping my pinkie on the very tip of my Gillettes, which are all shorter than any of my modern razors (although perhaps my '63 Slim Adjustable is close to the length of the Robusto). The Robusto is a trifle longer than the only Gillette Tech that I own (a 1938-41 model, if I understand my Gillettes--which seems unlikely).

I'm looking forward to more shaves with this razor. But I think that I may have found my new travel razor!

1 69
 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
Fantastic shave. I think I've found my new favorite razor.Biggrin

0 372
 05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
RazoRock Little Bastone open comb is identical to the Cadet Robusto OC. I assume we are talking about the open comb version of these razors here. I have the Little Bastone OC and it is one of my favorite razors. It is efficient, not crazy-aggressive and very well made for a sub-$30 razor. I sometimes mount the head on my Ikon bulldog handle and that makes it a different razor. Not better or worse, but different, heavier, with balance more away from the head. Works very well, but equally well with original handle. Great razor. Keith, I hope you continue to enjoy it. It took me some time before it became a permanent fixture in my shaving routine. I tend not to rotate razors too much as I like to get to know the tool and get really proficient with it, which takes time. So I will keep shaving with the same razor for weeks. This also keeps the RAD at bay. As you shave more with a particular razor you begin to enjoy it more (assuming you are working with a razor you liked to begin with). I am now down to 6 razors, two of them being the same thing (Progress) and three open combs including the RR Little Bastone. I find myself shaving with the RR more and more. It's a really good razor.

25 1,705
 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
Thanks for the post.Looks like this is gonna be my first non Gillette oc. Enjoy your shaves!

0 205
 05-10-2013, 12:29 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-10-2013, 08:51 AM)coolbus18 Wrote: Thanks for the post.Looks like this is gonna be my first non Gillette oc. Enjoy your shaves!

You will not regret it. More aggressive than the four types of OC Gillettes I know (Old, New LC, New SC and New Improved) and very good.

25 1,705
 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
I always look forward to the RR Little Bastone coming up in my rotation.

Jeff

0 205