05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
User Info
Good evening Nookizens. I beseech your help as I try to decide which preshave product I try next. Not too long ago I picked up one of Dave's great JPS PIFs for a jar of the green Proraso Crema Pre Barba. I've been using it almost every shave since and I really like how it works, but I also wouldn't mind trying some other similar products.

A bit more information first though. I do not like preshave oils. I already have an oily complexion so PSOs just don't work well for me. I do have good results with a preshave soap such as Clearly Natural and other glycerin based soaps. However, I find that the Proraso cream is the best for me. So some other products that I've found that appear to be similar are 3P, Prep, & Vito's. The RazoRock Shave Gel also looks interesting but I'm not sure if it's too much like a PSO.

So if you've used one of the similar products mentioned above or have another one that you'd recommend, then I'd love to hear from you to see which I should try next.

Thanks Nookizens!

31 7,912
 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
You should really try the Razorock Shave Lube. The scent isn't overpowering, you don't need to use much (I'm just now finishing my tube which has lasted a good 90 or so shaves), and it's water based! Not oily hands, no gunked up brush, and it doesn't suds up like a puck of MRGLO. It's absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

35 1,732
 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've used 3P, Vito's, Prep, and both Proraso Pre Shaves. The 3P is slightly thinner than Proraso and Prep. Proraso and Prep have about the same consistency. Vito's is the thickest of all. 3P has more of a medicinal scent that the others which I did like. It's closer to a Vicks smell than the Proraso is. I think the 3P spreads the easiest because it's thinnest. The Vito's is a good value because you can get the 250ml tub for about $14 I think. The Proraso White has same great performance as the green but a lighter scent which is really nice. It's hard for me to rank them but I will give it a shot based only on performance and scent (Not Price).

1. 3P
2. Proraso White
3. Proraso Green
4. Prep
5. Vito's

45 3,955
 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Items I have tried as pre-shaves (btw I too have oily skin, especially in the Summer): Noxzema regular (good), Noxzema moisturizing (great), Pears transparent soap (burns, bad), various pre-shave oils (no thank you, bad), Clearly Natural glycerine soap (ok), Trumper shave soap (can't lather so might as well use as pre-shave, very good but not cost effective), Rise brushless shaving cream (ok), generic shave gel from Dollar Tree (ok), and regular shaving cream (great).

So my usual pre-shave of choice is Noxzema moisturizing face wash. I leave it on my face for about a minute as I prepare the rest of my items for my shave and then rinse off to face lather. Regular shaving cream works very well and can be left on to make a super lather or rinsed off if you only want to enjoy the main lathering product. If I am using a shaving cream for the shave I will apply a small amount to my face and work it in with my fingers and let it sit for a minute or two before applying more cream to build up my lather. Both of these methods seem to do a very good job of prepping my whiskers without leaving any undesirable results afterwards.

127 2,375
 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
SharpSpine, I forget how many pre-shaves I have tried through the years, but none comes anywhere near Castle Forbes. For the past three years, then, I have stayed with Castle Forbes and that's that. No oily stuff here; the product is water soluble and does wonders for the skin.

132 2,614
 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Obie, you piqued my interested in the Castle Forbes preshave, so I decided to look at the ingredients.

Castle Forbes
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclopentiaslloxane, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-37, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Chamomilia Recutita (Chamomile Extract), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime Extract), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Extract), Citrus Noblis (Mandarin Extract), Citric Acid, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Alcohol Denat (SD Alcohol 40-B), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben (taken from highlandmenscare.com)

RR Shave Lube
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Limmnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Seed, Vaccinium myrtillus (Organic Bilberry) Extract, Saccharum officinarum (Organic Sugar Cane) Extract, Acer saccharinum (Organic Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus auranium dulcis (Organic Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus medica limonum (Organic Lemon) Extract, Vaccinium macrocarpon (Organic Cranberry) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel),Vegetable Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine (TEA), Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Triple Distilled Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha Piperita), Menthol. (taken from italianbarber.com)

Sure, a lot of it is just big words, but comparing the two, there are a lot of very similar ingredients. I would venture to say you could even classify them in the same "family" of preshaves. The using more natural ingredients (except all the parabens in CF) and are water soluble.

However, based on the price per ml (RR=$0.07/ml, CF=$0.32/ml), and the inclusions of parabens, I can't really see why I would ever give it a try.

Thank you for the mini research prompt, though!

35 1,732
 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Yes, yes, of course, Tonality, go with what you like, my friend. That's how it should be with these products, since personal preference is essential in the selection. I, however, have tried RazoRock also and, well, here I am still with Castle Forbes. It's what I prefer.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-03-2013, 10:05 AM)Obie Wrote: Yes, yes, of course, Tonality, go with what you like, my friend. That's how it should be with these products, since personal preference is essential in the selection. I, however, have tried RazoRock also and, well, here I am still with Castle Forbes. It's what I prefer.
Stay well.

What differences between the two did you find? I'm honestly quite curious.

35 1,732
 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
I sometimes use my Proraso Pre but I need to be very judicious with its usage since it gives off a very mentholated scent, which can sometimes overpower (a little) the scent of whatever soap I'm shaving with.

Another "low key" pre-shave oil I've used is Pacific Shaving Oil. It is very light, not at all like heavier pre-shave oils like AoS or others I've tried. It has that pine-y scent that Pacific products have.

72 1,407
 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-03-2013, 10:11 AM)Tonality Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 10:05 AM)Obie Wrote: Yes, yes, of course, Tonality, go with what you like, my friend. That's how it should be with these products, since personal preference is essential in the selection. I, however, have tried RazoRock also and, well, here I am still with Castle Forbes. It's what I prefer.
Stay well.

What differences between the two did you find? I'm honestly quite curious.
Tonality, I really did not venture to look for a difference in the products. I don't compare products by examining their ingredients. I try them and, if they don't hold my interest for some reason, move on. I used the RazoRock pre-shave and it did not hold my interest, even though it's a quality product. So I moved on. I did the same with John Allen's Slick Water, Taylor's and scores of other pre-shave products — and then moved on. As I noted, I prefer Castle Forbes.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
If you like the Green Proraso Crema Pre Barba, don't overlook the White (Green Tea & Oat). It's similar but not the same, and you'll still get some menthol out of it... just not nearly as much. I alternate both.

And, although it wasn't asked, just a comment on Parabens; Controversies abound and it's easy to find pros & cons related to their use. Maybe they're safe and maybe not, but without getting into it... When included as ingredients in personal care products... they do break the skin / blood barrier. They get into our bodies and aren't naturally meant to be there, benign or not. Personally, I choose not to use any product containing them if I can help it, no matter how good it is. No doubt, over the years I've had plenty of exposure to them. But, I can only move forward, not back. ...btw, I'm not a doctor, and have no professional credentials. If I'm factually wrong in expressing some of my opinions, perhaps someone will correct me.

17 290
 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
User Info
I've been trying out the PREP pre/post cream from Italian Barber for a couple weeks. It works well, but I'm not totally sure if I like it better than the Proraso though.

10 2,062
 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
I will share what I have used and currently use and what I have read that others use. I have tried:
udder smooth- it's ok, but better I think as a post shave cream,not pre.
Jergen's original hand lotion- I don't know why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. the scent is good and works well pre and post.
corn husker's lotion- ok, but post I think is better.
baby oil- this is what I use now. for me it works great. I have a mixed oil/dry complexion with sensitive skin and barbed wire for whiskers. a little goes a long way and is not expensive. I have even heard of some folks using a mixture of olive oil and baby oil. not sure of that since I have not done it. I have tried baby lotion and that works good too. I am a cheapskate, but the baby oil works really,really well for me. when I shave the oil gets mixed in with the lather,i guess and it doesn't break me out.

0 189
 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM
User Info
Thanks for the recommendations but I really do need to avoid oils. They make a good shave terrible for me.

31 7,912