04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
I tried cold water shaving for the first time maybe 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back. My process still involves taking a hot shower and soaking my brush in warm water, but once the initial lather is applied, all razor and face rinses are with cold water. I'll do a final warm water rinse at the end just to make sure all lather residue is removed (and then follow with another cold rinse).

Like many, I found the idea of cold water shaving unappealing and less luxurious. However, now I find it refreshing. Realistically, unless you use some kind of bowl or scuttle (which I never do), your lather isn't going to stay very warm throughout the shave anyway. By the time I have re-lathered after a cold water rinse, my skin has pretty much returned to normal temperature anyway, so it's not like I am shivering throughout the shave.

i find the benefits of cold water shaving to be a closer, less irritation prone shave with no extra effort. I think the cold water keeps the skin taught, so the whiskers stand up a bit more and are more easily cut. For me, too much hot water (like a hot towel) makes my skin feel a bit swollen and sensitive.

So if you've never tried cold/cool water shaving, give it a go. It's about the cheapest possible way to improve your shaves, and worst case, it's just one unpleasant shave.

30 275
 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
With the temperature heating up in the American southwest I've started cold water shaving for the first time with a double edge. I quite enjoy it and even take it a step further and build my lather with cold water, very refreshing on a hot morning. My favorite cold lather is definitely Mike's Natural Lime.

I agree it feels like I get consistently better shaves with colder water, but once winter comes again I don't think it improves my shave drastically enough to keep it up in cold weather.

35 1,732
 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I ahve shaved with cold water to experiment and I got excellent results,I must admit.
I dont use hot water,but warm water these days.However Im sure Ill use more cold water when summer/hotter days hits my area.
Cold water leaves my skin better than when I used to shave with hot water.

86 7,123
 04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
I have done it before when my hot water wasn't working right at various places I've lived. Admittedly, it's not what I prefer but I can still get a good shave when doing it. Just requires a little more patience and care because my facial hair is not as soft with cold water being splashed on it vs. hot water.

0 189
 04-08-2012, 11:21 PM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 06:51 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: I tried cold water shaving for the first time maybe 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back. My process still involves taking a hot shower and soaking my brush in warm water, but once the initial lather is applied, all razor and face rinses are with cold water. I'll do a final warm water rinse at the end just to make sure all lather residue is removed (and then follow with another cold rinse).

This is exactly what I do.

9 1,199
 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Hmmm... I'll try it next morning.

4 313
 04-09-2012, 05:18 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've tried it and got a good shave. It's still in the 30s a good bit of the time in the morning here in Minnesota, so warm water and even my scuttle just aren't off the menu, yet. Smile

Once the weather heats up, I'll try it for a week, then a week back at warm water to see if I can tell the difference.

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 05:18 AM)Songwind Wrote: I've tried it and got a good shave. It's still in the 30s a good bit of the time in the morning here in Minnesota, so warm water and even my scuttle just aren't off the menu, yet. Smile

Once the weather heats up, I'll try it for a week, then a week back at warm water to see if I can tell the difference.

Living in Chicago, I thought I wouldn't like cold water shaving in the winter, but it never has bothered me.

30 275
 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
i have started doing it, recently, and i am enjoying it. i get less irritation on my neck! i may have to keep at it!

75 20,883
 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have to say I'm kind of a wimp where cold--especially cold water--is concerned. It seems I am always cold. So the idea of cold water shaving is not appealing to me in the least.
I much prefer hot water, hence my two scuttles plus a brush scuttle! Tongue

52 785
 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
A friend and experimenter discovered that the much maligned Williams soap produces quite a good lather with cold water.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
User Info
I follow a process very similar to the OP's. I noticed I get way less redness or irritation. It's made a huge difference in my shaving.

0 120
 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
I've done it, I don't like it. I use warm, not hot, water.

0 24
 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try cold water - I get irritation (as posted on another thread I started), so maybe this will help. Thanks, Jeff

15 185
 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
I read that hot water can act as an irritant, so I rinse with tepid water. It won't be too much of a stretch to try a little cooler.

4 112
 04-21-2012, 06:18 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I'm a cold water shaver when the weather is getting hotter. I can't say it's better then hot water shaves necessarily but I like to mix things up.

27 1,294
 04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
User Info
I'm a cold water rinser. I wouldn't shave with cold water again unless I had to shave and there was no other alternative.

0 24
 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
As the weather approaches the 90's again here in Florida, I always switch to a cold water shave for the summer. Even in the winter I am at best a warm water shaver though.

5 78
 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
I've just started CWS this week and I love the way my skin feels afterwards. It's a big improvement (for me) over hot or warm water.

9 1,199
 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
I haven't used cold water to shave since I was in the Navy. Of course, then it was with a disposable cartridge and canned goo. Plus, it was not by choice. I think I may try this for 30 days and see if I notice any difference. That way I'll be giving it a fair shot.

0 33