04-08-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
Hi gents first post on here so please bear with me, I recently purchased a tub of the portman sq coconut and having trouble lathering it . I'm pretty sure it doesn't like boston water . Ive tried extending the loading time but still having trouble . So I was wondering if any of you gents have any tips or techniques for this croap. Thanks again guys

1 61
 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike :
I dont really believe too much in that thing of hard water / soft water thing.I know for sure that with soft water they lather easily (I have experience that thanks to Mynorx) but I have extra hard water where I live and I dont find any problems lathering any soap or cream (as long as they are usable).Use more product,load the brush with more product and add water.Instead of swirling the brush for 10 seconds,do it for 30/40 seconds,over the soap and go and make lather with it. Im sure that you would be able to get stable,thick lather out of it with no problem if you really load the brush more.

86 7,123
 04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Mike -I find that the Portman Square English Style creams produce a very slick lather but the lather does not have the volume/thickness as the other Portman Square creams (they have different formulations). As Teiste says, try loading the brush for a longer period of time. I also think this croap does better with soft water.

45 15,931
 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
One easy way to see if it dislikes Boston water is to pick up a jug of distilled water ($1.19/gallon at my grocer) and try making a lather with it.

I basically agree with Tieste about hard water. I will add though that lather made with hard water doesn't seem to get the same volume for me that it does when the water softener is charged, but the slickness and protection are there.

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
Phil sent me a sample of this croap a while back, and I was never able to get it to lather up quite as much as other products, but it was still very protective. I did end up using more product than other soaps\creams.

0 252
 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
I love the scent of it but it's tough for me to get it going . I've tried different brushes and tried more product it still doesn't blow up with lather

1 61