05-04-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
Has anyone shaved your head? Was it difficult to avoid nicks? Do you use the standard three passes?

I have a Headblade, which worked fine for me last summer, but I don't know if I want to buy more cartridges when I run out. I think I am going to try this weekend, but I am curious about your experiences.

0 54
 05-04-2013, 05:48 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I'd love to shave mine, but due to several rather large moles on my noggin, a very low buzz cut is much safer option. Tongue

31 1,510
 05-04-2013, 07:56 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
When I was shaving my head every day for the police academy I found the Gillette Gaurd Razor was the best for head shaving. You can get it at Italian Barber and Westcoast I think. You can shave your entire head without the razor getting clogged.

45 3,955
 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
User Info
When I was shaving my head I tried a few different SE razors, not DE razors.

The first time I shaved it after a close buzz cut the Feather weight I was using (I found out later) kept clogging.

The 2nd time I shaved it after a buzz cut I used a GEM ClogPruf Micromatic with no clogging issues and a shaved head.

Each time I used different razors and I found that the OCMM gave me the best noggin shaving performance. I have at least one scar on my scalp and the OCMM helped to shave the scar tissue down. Maybe it's smoother today; I have no idea since I didn't measure it before and after.

But at this time head shaving isn't for me; even though I liked it.

Edit: Oh, you asked about passes. I didn't do it for very long to achieve expertise. I'd feel the head for spots that needed more attention, but when I went to the OCMM I found extra attention required to be minimal.

32 6,308
 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I use my Fusion, no fuss no muss.

16 541
 05-05-2013, 03:36 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I've been a head shaver to some degree for quite a while. At the moment I shave the sides of my head al la Mohawk. I had a head blade a long time ago. No likey. Of course it was a new thing then and it may be improved a bit by now. Since I began classic wet shaving I've tried DE's and SE's and I seem to cut myself up a bit. I have settled on a Schick Quattro. It's a pretty efficient shaver and the carts are cheaper than the Fusion. I do use the same pre prep as I do when I shave my face.

I've also found a way to "sharpen" (more like stropping) a cart razor.

When you feel your blade getting dull give this a try...Take a piece of denim. Set it flat on your counter top and push your razor across the denim away from you. (The opposite from how you shave). The 1st time you strop it go 30 strokes with both hands. (I don't know why but it does make a difference using both hands)... Then 15 times per hand each shave is plenty enough.... I kept a Fusion blade going for a couple months. (Same blade is still on the handle. I haven't used it since I picked up wet shaving). Yes the little teflon strip will go away but I really think that's a crock anyway. I have a Quattro that is at least a month old going right now... I imagine it would work with a Headblade.. Give it a shot.

Good Luck and Happy Shaves!!!

5 1,151
 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM
User Info
It definitely takes too long for me to use a DE on work days. I will definitely work on it more on the weekends as time allows. However, my DE works great for touch ups.

0 54
 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
About any razor will work, I shave my head daily and have used straights, DE's and my favorite the Feather DX razor. Can't really say what DE would work best as most do a decent job, you should probably start with something like a EJ86 or similar mild razor and work from there.

It takes 2 to 3 passes with a DE to obtain BBS for me, when I use the Feather DX it takes me one pass only and I'm done.

27 1,294
 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
User Info
I go back to trying different razors, DE and SE for my dome, however I always go back to Dorco three blade cart. It takes too long any other way. I have to shave it in the shower, outside of the shower I get water all over the place and we have mirror covered walls over the sinks. I have a gem g-bar coming that will hopefully speed things up, I have tried the push button and the ocmm.

2 14
 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
I use a Merkur futur set on 4. It's magic.

7 1,179
 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
User Info
(05-04-2013, 10:37 AM)Macko Wrote: I use my Fusion, no fuss no muss.

Agreed +1

Have been using my Fusion 3 times a week since 2006, where I started my head shaving adventure Biggrin
(Not the same blades and handle though Cool )

Fusion for head shaves - the best a (bald) man can get Tongue

22 5,038
 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
How long do blades last you Claus?

7 1,179
 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
User Info
(05-10-2013, 01:28 PM)Dipesh Wrote: How long do blades last you Claus?

Surprisngly long to be honest.
I 'hone' the blades in my Fusion with my thumbs after each shave and I get anything from 20-30 full head shaves out of 1 Fusion blade (and I have pretty coarse hair on my scalp, 80% coverage Biggrin)

I can't get that many shaves out of a Fusion cart when used on my face to be honest but I still get 12-15 fine full shaves out of on Fusion blade - using the hand strop method and also this device:

http://www.razorpit.com/

I have no commercial interest in this company what so ever, but Søren/SHM from B&B, a danish avid shaver, used the Razorpit device on one of his DE blades and got 100 tolerable shaves out of it.....hundred shaves - it works.

But even just stropping it by hand will get me at least 20-25 fine head shaves from the same Fusion cart blade Smile
As mentioned I can only get 12-15 face shaves from one Fusion cart.

I prefer using a DE razor on my face, but time limitations means I use my Fusion twice a week and my DE razor twice a week (DE weekends and evenings)

I never found my DE worked better than my Fusion for head shaves to be honest. I can shave my head in 6-8 minutes with a Fusion and no mirror standing in the shower. This is not possible with my DE razor - not any of the 40+ DE razors I own Wink

22 5,038
 05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
User Info
I have a razorpit Claus, it does work!

Thanks for that, I may grab a fusion and give it a go.

7 1,179
 05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
User Info
Head shaver of 15 years here, I've always used the womans Venus and couldn't have seen myself changing that.

However, now that I wet shave and to cut down on cost I've decided to try it. The safety comb wasn't for me and I was close to giving up but have started using a cheap $5 1930s NEW OC with a Derby blade and I'm sold!!!

3 passes and I'm good! Is it the quickest, for sure not but I'm getting that and would say it's only taking me about 20% longer now that I've got some experience behind me.

I must say, the Gillette Gaurd does look interesting to me, I'd never seen it before and my main worry is clogging which isn't a huge issue with the OC but I'd like zero clogging.

1 50