05-04-2013, 07:46 PM
User Info
Our next pizzas will feature an experimental 250 year old King Arthur Flour sourdough crust and I made it today using a modified Americas Test Kitchen recipe. In addition to the experimental sourdough pizza dough I also experimented with a new way to knead the dough to develop the gluten.

The old way which I did with the Kitchen Aid and now the Ankarsrum mixer is the obvious, let the mixer knead it for the required time. Pretty obvious. It's also what ate up the gears in the KA and why I bought a different mixer that can take that use and not sweat. I began doing the same steady kneading method with the Ankarsrum and while I'm not worried about hurting the mixer I decided I'd try a new way to knead that I ran across.

The manual kneading method I saw was a stretch and fold, stretch and fold technique (that's basically all there is to it). Then the dough rests for 5 minutes and the 2 part process is repeated, with another 5 minute rest, and repeated once more. The result is a full kneaded dough with the gluten fully developed with basically no work or sweat. But that was a "by hand" method. I needed to come up with one for the machine. No big deal, just guess.

So with the mixer, after mixing the dough fully I shut the mixer off and let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Then I turned it back on to knead for one minute and repeated that 2 more times. 3 minutes of kneading, and 15 minutes of resting in total. The result? Fully developed gluten, satiny dough, much less strain on the machine, and less electricity consumed. Of course it's easier to just set the timer on the mixer and let it do it's thing for 8-10 minutes continuous while I do something else, but if I had a KA (or any planetary) mixer I'd latch onto this method in a heartbeat since kneading will chew up the gears on even the Pro models. I wish I had known of it. Of course you may need to modify it to work with the machine and get the result you want.

BTW, you can see the way this works just by observing the dough. After aligning (kneading) the gluten the dough is all strained like rubberbands in tension. As the 5 minute rest progresses the dough can visibly be seen to relax and slump. It's pretty cool to see in action.

The pizza? Whenever we decide to use the dough next week it'll be ready, or it's even ready now since the flavor is already in it from the sourdough.

32 6,301
 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
Wow, great information, Brian! i learn so much on this forum and not just about shaving! Biggrin
Enjoy the pizza!

74 20,783
 05-05-2013, 05:38 AM
User Info
Kneading the dough is the only thing I use my bread machine for.

Sounds like the Pizza will be wonderful!!!

6 1,224