05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
Lazy, warm, sunny, Sunday mornings (which surprisingly, today is...) shaves want to be relaxed and comfortable... Ruben Gonzalez's long, slim fingers extend over the ivories in the background as I lift the Weber polished from the rack.

A new blade for today (after six memorable days with a Solingen Timor stainless) and one I've not experienced before.

Dorco stainless steel platinum ST300. The blade is presented in a blue card box of ten (the 10% more expensive ST301's are supplied in a disposable and I guess, non bio-degradable white plastic container) Dorco's are of South Korean manufacture and a timely reminder of the 38th parallel and DPRK.

The Dorco ST300 is double wrapped in a printed outer an plain 'waxy' inner, the steel blade is free of glue spots and of 'thinner' variety, blade surface finish is mottled yet clearly and minimally printed.

These days I always strop and cork before and after use (on hypothenar eminence surface and cork/dry the blade - I use to collect empty bottles for too many years, so have more than a few 1996 vintage corks Biggrin )

And I found a four pass shave with multiple touch-ups smooth, close and irritation free. This Dorco blade is of moderate/medium sharpness, it feels forgiving and comfortable. Further use this week will allow assessment of longevity and comparison to it's sibling, the ST301. In the market place, the Dorca ST300 is perhaps one of the least expensive 'platinums' de blades available at £UK8.40/100 incl of VAT, just 1/4 the cost, of the most expensive de blade. It compliments the Weber polished and I recommend it, ymmv, enjoy your weekend, fw

proraso sens pre/Webber polished/BKL12/tobs almond/nivea sens asb/proraso original as

6 30
 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
Glad you like it. Clearly a case of YMMV.

32 6,309
 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I used the Dorco ST300 for a year-and-a-half in a Gillette Tech! That was a very mild combination that was right for me at the time with my developing skill and my very sensitive skin. It is a very forgiving blade whose main limitation is very heavy and/or coarse beards. I also used to use it to tame more aggressive razors. I think it would be the perfect blade for a teenage wetshaver whose skin is still more vulnerable due to young age and scant whiskers.

I now use sharper blades for my coarse, but not very dense, beard. Awhile back, I gave the ST300 another try to see how it worked for me and I was disappointed with the cut. So, I don't think the right blade (and razor) for a new wetshaver is necessarily the blade (and razor) s/he will settle on in the end.

Among my favored blades now, I really like the Dorco ST301. I find it sharper than medium and quite smooth. It is an excellent value in a very good blade.

(Brian/ShadowsDad, I know that neither of these blades was remotely acceptable to you, so as you pointed out, YMMV. Like every other blade, these will not the be favorites of every wetshaver.)

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
I'm a huge fan of the Dorco 301s and one of those rare folks who is also OK with the 300s. The 300s aren't great, but they get the job done. It's nice to see someone else who likes them too.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
I like the st301... not my absolute favourite, but they get the job done. Smile
In UK, they are sold on the "Superdrug" chain of drugstores, under their own brand. Smile

2 5,531
 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Hi Emanuel! Good to cross paths with you.Smile

I think the ST300s are sold in some US chain stores, but I'm not such which. As a more "specialized" blade, I think they have less universal appeal than the 301s would.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
User Info
Murray good to read of your extensive experience of the Dorco and also you have fairly accurately profiled my face... How I wish I was still a teenager, there would be less regrets... but yes, I'm new to wet shaving, have a light to medium growth and sensitive skin to the extent that just the smell of 'rose water with glycerine' provokes the feeling of a hot skin rash, surprisingly TOBS rose must be mild because I tolerate/like it.

Thus far I'm happy with the Dorco ST300, but when it comes to the thin red line which shouldn't be crossed... that would be the Treet carbon steel (for me) but I suspect it will work well in an R41. enjoy, Frank

6 30
 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM
User Info
(05-05-2013, 01:11 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I used the Dorco ST300 for a year-and-a-half in a Gillette Tech! That was a very mild combination that was right for me at the time with my developing skill and my very sensitive skin. It is a very forgiving blade whose main limitation is very heavy and/or coarse beards. I also used to use it to tame more aggressive razors. I think it would be the perfect blade for a teenage wetshaver whose skin is still more vulnerable due to young age and scant whiskers.

I now use sharper blades for my coarse, but not very dense, beard. Awhile back, I gave the ST300 another try to see how it worked for me and I was disappointed with the cut. So, I don't think the right blade (and razor) for a new wetshaver is necessarily the blade (and razor) s/he will settle on in the end.

Among my favored blades now, I really like the Dorco ST301. I find it sharper than medium and quite smooth. It is an excellent value in a very good blade.

(Brian/ShadowsDad, I know that neither of these blades was remotely acceptable to you, so as you pointed out, YMMV. Like every other blade, these will not the be favorites of every wetshaver.) - Murray

I didn't want to mention that and rain on his parade. He's happy with them and I know you and others are as well. That's why I stopped where I did.

32 6,309
 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Gee whiz, Frank! You are new to traditional wetshaving, you have sensitive skin and a light-to-medium growth beard, and you shave with an R41?!

Though I have shaved with DE/Injector, brush, and soap years back, I came to the enhanced traditional wetshave as practiced on these forums in late 2006. With my sensitive skin, I'm still figuring out how close a shave is reasonable for me ("still" because I probably still want a closer shave than is reasonable for my skin) and how aggressive a razor I should use. I go back and forth between very mild (iKon second-gen 3-piece with safety bars, Feather AS-D1, and Gillette Tech) and mild/moderate (Edwin Jagger and Weber).

- Murray

(05-05-2013, 02:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 01:11 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I used the Dorco ST300 for a year-and-a-half in a Gillette Tech! That was a very mild combination that was right for me at the time with my developing skill and my very sensitive skin. It is a very forgiving blade whose main limitation is very heavy and/or coarse beards. I also used to use it to tame more aggressive razors. I think it would be the perfect blade for a teenage wetshaver whose skin is still more vulnerable due to young age and scant whiskers.

(Brian/ShadowsDad, I know that neither of these blades was remotely acceptable to you, so as you pointed out, YMMV. Like every other blade, these will not the be favorites of every wetshaver.) - Murray

I didn't want to mention that and rain on his parade. He's happy with them and I know you and others are as well. That's why I stopped where I did.

Brian, I noted your restraint! I didn't want to leave you with the impression that my post was intended in any way as a slight to you.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
I've found the Dorcos at several different dollar stores and discount stores branded as the store brand (I.e. Dollar General blades, Family Dollar blades). Considering the fact that you can get 100 for $8 or so on eBay, I could never bring myself to buy a pack of 5 for $1, but they might be a good option for when you're traveling.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-06-2013, 02:33 AM
User Info
Murray, interesting selection of de razors; recently missed a Feather as d1 - that one is certainly on my wish list!

I like extremely close 12 hr shaves and at the point of no return always press on for the closest possible shave with the 'raw hamburger feel' sometimes being unavoidable and then repent at leisure... I find it's the second and third day's close shave which tests resolve.

Would recommend an adjustable for you: The Mergress is well worth a test drive, ymmv, regards Frank

(05-05-2013, 02:54 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Gee whiz, Frank! You are new to traditional wetshaving, you have sensitive skin and a light-to-medium growth beard, and you shave with an R41?!

Though I have shaved with DE/Injector, brush, and soap years back, I came to the enhanced traditional wetshave as practiced on these forums in late 2006. With my sensitive skin, I'm still figuring out how close a shave is reasonable for me ("still" because I probably still want a closer shave than is reasonable for my skin) and how aggressive a razor I should use. I go back and forth between very mild (iKon second-gen 3-piece with safety bars, Feather AS-D1, and Gillette Tech) and mild/moderate (Edwin Jagger and Weber).

- Murray

(05-05-2013, 02:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Brian, I noted your restraint! I didn't want to leave you with the impression that my post was intended in any way as a slight to you.

- Murray

6 30
 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
If any of you have seen my SOTDs lately you would see me raving about the Dorcos. I bought a 100-pack a couple of years ago when I first started wet-shaving and I thought they were OK. I tried sharper Russian and Indian blades (Rapira, Perma-Sharp and Supermax) and the Dorcos moved to the back of the drawer and I never really looked back.

Time has passed, my razor assortment has grown and my technique has improved.

Then last week I was in a situation where I was going to travel on a non-commercial plane to a location, but fly commercial back the next day. I decided to bring a blade that I wouldn't mind tossing after one shave and grabbed one of the 90 or so Dorco 300s I had in my drawer.

The razor is a Feather portable. It's a fairly aggressive Tech clone and I thought it might bring out the best in the Dorco and vice versa... It was a perfect match! I've had 4 effortless BBS shaves so far from a blade that I did not consider as more than a backup! It may be a razor-dependent thing, but this particular combo is a definite keeper for me. Biggrin

So with my theory that Dorcos pair well with aggressive razors, the R41 combo might be a similar hit.

0 911
 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
The R41 2011 and the Dorco is an amazing pair for sure!

The R41 blade exposure needs a rigid blade. The Dorco is stiffer than many other blades.

The moderate sharpness and unbelievably consistent smoothness of the blade is a huge advantage in the R41 too.

The R41 2011 in steep angle mode beautifully presents the Dorco across the surface of the face more like a shavette than a safety.

I can get my longest lasting BBS with the R41/Dorco combo.

The R41 2013, in contrast, prefers sharper blades like the Iridium and PermaSharp in the cardboard box.

I am happy to see that some people are having success with the Dorco. I've been singing its praises for a while and usually get crickets in response.

3 285
 05-09-2013, 02:51 AM
User Info
Bjorn - caught up with your SOTD's and good to read you have been having fun on location, with the Dorco's most humble blade.

What I find amusing; being new to wet shaving I merely loaded up the Dorco (from my selection packs) no previous reading of anything about the ST300 and haven't had the opportunity to use many de blades - and virtually nothing to prove, so what I experienced, is as it is.

Just completed my fifth day with the ST300 - I get the feeling the blade could go at least another couple of days with ease, yet I just felt it drag over my chin plus noticed I was having to apply head pressure and increase number of touch ups to achieve that 12hr closeness (look forward to a new ST301 tomorrow).

Utterly superb, close comfortable shaves each & every one. Cut my chin deep yesterday --- just got a little over confident thinking the Webber/Dorco was just another benign 'ol cartridge razor... let my mind wonder to an issue... and too late! That quick searing flash, delayed sting and shock and feeling of flapping flesh exposure and cut nerve endings as the Dorco sliced the dork back! I'll get over it Smile

Couple of other interesting points; a native Korean wet shave enthusiast and Dorco user, reported the Dorko plant had invested heavily in new manufacturing machinery which he believed may explain the marked increase in Dorco blade quality. Also the company's management (I believe a Mr Ahne was quoted in an e-mail) confirmed the 300 and 301 are the same blade - in different wrappers.

We shall see... enjoy, fw

(05-07-2013, 07:25 AM)bjorney Wrote: If any of you have seen my SOTDs lately you would see me raving about the Dorcos. I bought a 100-pack a couple of years ago when I first started wet-shaving and I thought they were OK. I tried sharper Russian and Indian blades (Rapira, Perma-Sharp and Supermax) and the Dorcos moved to the back of the drawer and I never really looked back.

Time has passed, my razor assortment has grown and my technique has improved.

Then last week I was in a situation where I was going to travel on a non-commercial plane to a location, but fly commercial back the next day. I decided to bring a blade that I wouldn't mind tossing after one shave and grabbed one of the 90 or so Dorco 300s I had in my drawer.

The razor is a Feather portable. It's a fairly aggressive Tech clone and I thought it might bring out the best in the Dorco and vice versa... It was a perfect match! I've had 4 effortless BBS shaves so far from a blade that I did not consider as more than a backup! It may be a razor-dependent thing, but this particular combo is a definite keeper for me. Biggrin

So with my theory that Dorcos pair well with aggressive razors, the R41 combo might be a similar hit.

6 30
 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
User Info
(05-09-2013, 02:51 AM)frankw Wrote: Couple of other interesting points; a native Korean wet shave enthusiast and Dorco user, reported the Dorko plant had invested heavily in new manufacturing machinery which he believed may explain the marked increase in Dorco blade quality.

Fascinating. Do you know when?

3 285
 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
User Info
Aimsport hello there, unable to relocate post, but if memory serves me right, it was dated around 2009/2010 - the wet shave enthusiast reported his friend actually worked at the Korean Dorco manufacturing plant, thus providing corroborative intel. to what I find to be a great although much maligned blade (ymmv, of course).

The following extract is courtesy of JSS at B&B, posted April 2008.

I contacted DORCO in San Diego as promised. Customer service could not answer the question and referred me to Mr. Jason Ahn, DORCO, Korea. Here is his reply:

Dear Julian,

Thank you for your email

Regarding your inquiry, the quality of ST300 and ST301 is same

and the only difference is the packaging.

If you need any other information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Jason Ahn

PS. Please send email copy to Charles Park (cspark@dorco.co.kr) as well.

Enjoy, Frank

Fascinating. Do you know when?
[/quote]

6 30
 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
Yes, I found them to be very much the same as well. Wink

32 6,309
 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-09-2013, 12:46 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, I found them to be very much the same as well. Wink
I saw that wink! Smile

0 911
 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
User Info
(05-09-2013, 11:41 AM)frankw Wrote: Aimsport hello there, unable to relocate post, but if memory serves me right, it was dated around 2009/2010 - the wet shave enthusiast reported his friend actually worked at the Korean Dorco manufacturing plant, thus providing corroborative intel. to what I find to be a great although much maligned blade (ymmv, of course).

Thanks! That means the old ones could have been in the pipeline as late as 2011 or later.

3 285
 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
I seem to have a couple of these and didn't even realize it. I think I'll try one tomorrow.

0 9