05-05-2013, 05:14 PM
User Info
I've had many Wade and Butcher straights over the years. I think they're decent, dependable razors, but they're otherwise unremarkable. There are a lot of them out there, of course, so they're easy to get and collect.

I have traded or sold away most of my collection of W&B razors ... including most of the engraved/etched wedges, and the Bow razors, etc.

However, I have retained a few. I think these four shown below are all the W&B's I have left, but I haven't gone through the collection properly yet.

[Image: temporary-17.jpg]

I didn't have the patience to wipe the storage oil off the blades, so they're not pictured well here. Clockwise, from the top left they are:
A) 6/8" half hollow. Restored by Bill Ellis
B) 8/8" For Barbers Use wedge
C) 7/8" hollow ground Old English Razor
D) 7/8" Old Army wedge

These are all decent shavers, and I especially like the 7/8" hollow ground one. It was the first razor I ever honed on a coticule, and I love the edge it took.

[Image: temporary-16.jpg]

I don't buy into the large W&B craze. I have a few in my collection, but they're not standouts. They shave well, but no more so than many other unheralded razors. I have nothing bad to say about the W&B razors, but I don't reach for these any more than I reach for some unbranded razors.

37 1,731
 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice Yohann.

173 23,553
 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
User Info
Like you I find them quite unremarkable, I've owned a few and restored quite a few, but I sold the ones I've owned I much prefer other makes to be honest, I think the big choppers are a kind of fashion statement or a extension of your Manhood, look mine it's so much bigger than yours.Biggrin

Jamie

5 1,810
 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
User Info
I love the crazy prices people are willing to pay for them, but other than that, find them completely bland and boring. Have a few in my collection that stand out a little and/or just to have. But other than that, have found the prices too tempting to keep.

Shave great, but so does most every other vintage razor (actually modern too now that I think of it) that wasn't/isn't a POS.

9 2,988
 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I've always enjoyed using them because I consider them to be historical, especially the wedges. I would agree on the large choppers, they are more interesting to look at than to shave with, IMO.

12 743
 05-06-2013, 03:53 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Johann,
Handsome Wade & Butchers. Yes, it is interesting the high prices people pay for the Wade & Butchers. They can be fine shavers, but I, too, see nothing remarkable in them. My stash has been trimmed to a restored 7/8 barber's notch with a beautiful smile and light horn scales, and I might keep that for novelty or sell it, I'm not sure, since I rarely use it. The other one is a fully restored 11/16 hollow square point, which I am selling, since it, too, rarely gets any use. The Wade & Butchers remind of the Filarmonicas in the hype world. I love the Filarmonicas, but those prices. Oy!

132 2,614
 05-06-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
Obie,
I was just going to mention Filarmonica as another brand that's overhyped, and overpriced, but you beat me to it. Biggrin Like the W&Bs, they're decent razors, but not better than many other brands that don't get the same forum press coverage.

I do think that people think they can buy a better shave - when I mention that technique and a good honing job are so much more important, people sometimes stop listening. Oh well, we live and learn! Wink

37 1,731
 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Johann,
How right you are, my friend. Good honing and good technique can work wonders for the shave. Not only that, but sometimes an inexpensive no-name razor can compete with the best of the big names, sometimes even beating them in the edge it takes. Indeed, we do live and learn.

132 2,614
 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Yohann

Would it be possible to share a few photos of the "6/8" half hollow. Restored by Bill Ellis"? As I like the looks of it, looks different in an interesting way...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
User Info
Nice collection/photos Biggrin

I recently was lent one for a few days, it was a big/heavy 7/8" Wedge, and it was awesome to shave with. I am still a newbie, but I find I prefer the wedges to the hollow ground razors, so that could have been a factor in why I liked it so much.

Will

0 89
 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
User Info
(05-06-2013, 11:22 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Yohann

Would it be possible to share a few photos of the "6/8" half hollow. Restored by Bill Ellis"? As I like the looks of it, looks different in an interesting way...

Take care, Mike

Mike,

Here's a better pic. I'll take some others later.

[Image: ellis.jpeg]

(05-06-2013, 11:29 AM)wquiles Wrote: Nice collection/photos Biggrin

I recently was lent one for a few days, it was a big/heavy 7/8" Wedge, and it was awesome to shave with. I am still a newbie, but I find I prefer the wedges to the hollow ground razors, so that could have been a factor in why I liked it so much.

Will

Will,

Most guys prefer wedge grind razors when they're starting out with straight shaving. I think that's because they're easier to strop, and because their weight disguises an edge that's beginning to go off. It's easier to mess up the edge on a full hollow, with inexpert stropping. Also, it is possible that the weight of the choppers can disguise improper shaving technique a bit.

Some people change their preferences to hollow ground razors as they get more experienced, others stick with wedges.

I don't think that anyone here is badmouthing W&B choppers. If you like that kind of razor, they're pretty good. However, they do command a price that's a little extreme sometimes. There are other makers who made large wedges that are every bit as good, but not as popular on the forums.

As with anything in this hobby: it's important to find a setup that works for you, irrespective of what other guys say. You know best what works for your face. Smile

37 1,731
 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
(05-06-2013, 03:48 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Will,

Most guys prefer wedge grind razors when they're starting out with straight shaving. I think that's because they're easier to strop, and because their weight disguises an edge that's beginning to go off. It's easier to mess up the edge on a full hollow, with inexpert stropping. Also, it is possible that the weight of the choppers can disguise improper shaving technique a bit.

Some people change their preferences to hollow ground razors as they get more experienced, others stick with wedges.

I don't think that anyone here is badmouthing W&B choppers. If you like that kind of razor, they're pretty good. However, they do command a price that's a little extreme sometimes. There are other makers who made large wedges that are every bit as good, but not as popular on the forums.

As with anything in this hobby: it's important to find a setup that works for you, irrespective of what other guys say. You know best what works for your face. Smile

I have heard that from others in more than one forum, so what you are telling me is consistent. So far I see my preferences/attitudes change as I get more experience (started with str8's in Feb), and I expect more changes in what I like as I try new/more things.

As to the wedge - it was very subjective. I really liked the more muted sound of the wedge (vs. my current hollow grind) and the weight in my hands, but I can shave equally well with any str8 razor that is well honed/sharp (I have been lent several razors over the last month or two) so as expected having the right edge triumphs over the type/style of razor.

Thanks,
Will

0 89
 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-06-2013, 03:48 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Here's a better pic. I'll take some others later.

[Image: ellis.jpeg]

Hi Yohann

Thank you Smile

I can't put my finger on it, but I find that razor to be extremely appealing...

Cheeky request, if you ever come to sell it, could you please contact me first Blush

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Beautiful collection you have, I have just one and I too find their prices unjustifiably high

8 154
 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
I think I'm in the minority here. I happen to like them. Currently I have around 25 or so and find they are terrific razors. Sure, the prices I've seen are crazy but I've picked up mine locally primarily because they were there and the most I've spent on one was $35.00. The majority were in the 10-15 dollar range.
The prices might be tempting but I can't bring myself to part with any though I've turned down some knee buckling offers.

0 772
 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
User Info
The French/sharp point, the over-pronounced hump in the shank, the complex angle from the shank to the shoulder. . The long, flowing tang.. that's a beautiful razor.

0 1
 12-25-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
(09-04-2014, 11:49 AM)dieseleagle04 Wrote: The French/sharp point, the over-pronounced hump in the shank, the complex angle from the shank to the shoulder. . The long, flowing tang.. that's a beautiful razor.

dieseleagle04, By any chance, do you have one? If so, would you please show a photo? I'd like to see it and compare to what I have. I'm learning more into SR. Thanks!

0 7
 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
A very nice selection..1820's to 1900's. To me what gives them class is the "swayback" that makes honing of a smile so easy. My favorite is the Celebrated because of the grind and shape.
Sell or keep, they are now usable and apt to last for a great many more generations!
Thank you!
~Richard

8 1,190
 12-26-2014, 12:41 PM
User Info
Very nice....

10 399
 12-26-2014, 01:40 PM
User Info
Awesome collection: Now if those old classics could just talk. What a mesmerizing history story they could tell.

0 123