05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am happy to keep trying, but this beastie is really hard to get a good lather up. It's a hog. I have tried face and bowl lathering, lots of product, different product, damp brush, dryish brush, consistency of effort, experimentation. You name it. Has anyone here some remarkable secret they could let me in on that would see this beast spring into frothy, lathery life? I have never seen a clip of anyone using this brush either. Has anyone, ever?

I get a far better lather from ANY other Simpson brush, easily. But I WANT the Chubby 2 in Best to be THE BEST. So far, it's short of that mark by a long way.

Your comments and experiences would be of interest to me.

0 1,625
 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
User Info
My advice is to load, load, load, and load more product. The Simpson chubby series are some of the densest brushes out there, so don't be afraid to load the brush with lots of product and slowly add your water as usual. If not, you will likely always end up with thin lather. I also find that splaying the brush just a bit really helps improve flowthru, although you don't want to mash your brush down when lathering. I hope this helps some.

63 2,128
 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM
User Info
(05-06-2013, 12:35 AM)cessnabird Wrote: My advice is to load, load, load, and load more product. The Simpson chubby series are some of the densest brushes out there, so don't be afraid to load the brush with lots of product and slowly add your water as usual. If not, you will likely always end up with thin lather. I also find that splaying the brush just a bit really helps improve flowthru, although you don't want to mash your brush down when lathering. I hope this helps some.

Yup. And if that doesn't work, try loading with a little bit more pressure so you get some more soap deep down into the knot.

9 2,988
 05-06-2013, 01:42 AM
User Info
For what it's worth..... Of all my Chubbies either they be Best, Super or Manchurian I find not to have the brushes very wet a gentle squeeze, quite damp to the touch.

If using Soap or croap a couple of drops of water sitting on the top will help & as Cessabird & Asharperrazor load and load with your favourite cream or soap.

How old is your Chubby 2 best !!! it will over time improve and will get better & better. Enjoy and don't give up just yet.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 05-06-2013, 05:06 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Lot's of great advice so far.

I would also ask what product are you using? If you are using a cream you could try doubling the amount you start off with. My Chubby 2 in best is in my top three brushes but it needs a lot of product, I typically load for 60-90 seconds depending on the product. If I'm using a very hard triple milled soap like D.R. Harris I need to load much longer, if it's a soft croap like RazoRock I don't need to load nearly as long.

I shake the water from my brush and also gently squeeze the excess water from it then I start loading. Once the brush is loaded I start making lather, either face lathering or bowl lathering, adding water a little at a time as needed.

7 1,018
 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
User Info
As the others have said, load for longer and more product.
They are beastly dense, but very nice! Good luck.

75 20,883
 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM
User Info
I share your frustration. I have a Chubby 2 and 3 and neither lathers well in a bowl unless I use a very large amount of cream. Even then, it takes longer to work up the lather and I just don't hit that sweet spot where you have an explosion of lather. All my other brushes, Simpsons or otherwise, lather better in a bowl. The density of the Chubby just doesn't allow for great flow of water or air, both essential for lather.

What I have found is that where the Chubby excels is face lathering. It holds heat better than any brush I've used, and even on a third pass I'm still getting warm lather. And the feel of that dense knot when face lathering has no equal. That same density which negatively affects bowl lathering turns into a big plus when face lathering.

37 2,965
 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM
User Info
(05-06-2013, 06:31 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I share your frustration. I have a Chubby 2 and 3 and neither lathers well in a bowl unless I use a very large amount of cream. Even then, it takes longer to work up the lather and I just don't hit that sweet spot where you have an explosion of lather. All my other brushes, Simpsons or otherwise, lather better in a bowl. The density of the Chubby just doesn't allow for great flow of water or air, both essential for lather.

What I have found is that where the Chubby excels is face lathering. It holds heat better than any brush I've used, and even on a third pass I'm still getting warm lather. And the feel of that dense knot when face lathering has no equal. That same density which negatively affects bowl lathering turns into a big plus when face lathering.

My thoughts exactly.

63 2,128