04-09-2012, 09:44 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
How is the Alum Block applied?
  • after shaving, rinsing face, before drying
  • after shaving, rinsing, drying, and before shave balm

If one has sensitive skin, should an alum block be avoided (does do more burn damage than good)?

9 1,684
 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
User Info
James,
i usually apply mine after shaving, cold water rinse, then the alum, then cold water rinse after 30 seconds to 1 minute.
i also have sensitive skin and it seems to help tight the skin and have had no problems, so far, but everyone reacts differently.

75 20,883
 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
I've heard that it also helps to allow one to "grab" the soaped skin if the grabbing hand is wiped over the block first. I haven't tried this, but I've run across it enough times that it's probably true.

Some after shave products also contain alum.

It's also pretty fantastic applied to the underarms.

32 6,308
 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I apply after the shave and after cold rinse. After i apply i wait nearly a minute (during this time I clean the razor, brush and mug) and wash. After wash, I dry and I may use AS with moisturizing cream or ASB. I don't think it is bad for sensitive skin.

It does help to grab the wet skin; especially helpful when I'm shaving w/a straight razor.

(04-09-2012, 09:57 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've heard that it also helps to allow one to "grab" the soaped skin if the grabbing hand is wiped over the block first. I haven't tried this, but I've run across it enough times that it's probably true.

Some after shave products also contain alum.

It's also pretty fantastic applied to the underarms.

4 365
 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-09-2012, 09:58 AM)staggerlee Wrote: I don't think it is bad for sensitive skin.

Agree! I have "sensitive" skin and have experienced zero problem using one as part of my post-shave routine.

Personally I wouldn't be without an Alum block these days...

23 1,872
 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 09:44 AM)gijames Wrote: How is the Alum Block applied?

When I used one (explanation below), I used it after shaving and rinsing, but before drying. Alum needs to be a little wet to work, so I would let my wet face do the trick.

(04-09-2012, 09:44 AM)gijames Wrote: If one has sensitive skin, should an alum block be avoided (does do more burn damage than good)?

I have pretty sensitive skin and I invariably would get bumps, especially on my neck, using an alum block. My theory is that it closes up the pores too quickly for my skin, creating in-grown hairs, or bumps. It would take about a week to return to normal.

72 1,407
 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have moderately sensitive skin and the alum seems to be doing me some good.

You can use the alum on your wet face, or wet the alum to use on your dry face. Either way you should rinse again before you are done.

I leave it on my face while I clean up my sink area, then rinse it off before putting on AS/B.

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
I used to believe I had sensitive skin when I used the cartridge razors, but these days I'm not so sure...

I rub my face with the alum after the last rinse while my face is still damp, letting it sit while I clean up the gear and sink, then rinsing the alum off in the shower.

It really does my skin a world of good, and helps seal any minor nicks and scratches. Your Mileage May, naturally, Vary.

3 3,554
 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM
User Info
Although I've been using alum sticks on a regular basis, there's not a single time that it didn't cause stingy feeling, even after mild/comfortable shaves. I doubt I have a bad technique. I like that feeling anywaySmile

4 365
 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
I love my alum block. I use mine when I'm finished with the shave I rinse my face with warm water, then have at it with the block. I then proceed to clean up the brush and mug and rinse well with cold water. After that I'll apply the Velva.

0 372
 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I see, so it seems one step to do would be rinsing after letting it sit a minute or so...

unless I have sensitive skin like Josh, the rinse post-alum use should be good to go?

thank you all for the responses!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 10:33 AM)Songwind Wrote: I have moderately sensitive skin and the alum seems to be doing me some good.

You can use the alum on your wet face, or wet the alum to use on your dry face. Either way you should rinse again before you are done.

I leave it on my face while I clean up my sink area, then rinse it off before putting on AS/B.

This is what I do too.Wink

9 1,199
 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 11:40 AM)Williams Warrior Wrote: I love my alum block. I use mine when I'm finished with the shave I rinse my face with warm water, then have at it with the block. I then proceed to clean up the brush and mug and rinse well with cold water. After that I'll apply the Velva.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. And I do love my Alum.

2 546
 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
[font=Times New Roman]I apply it to a wet face, and just leave it on, adding AS lotion and AS wax after. Not sure if that is correct, but it's been working for me. Wink

15 185
 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
Alum has antiseptic properties which I need. I have a copper wire whisker beard and unfortunately baby type skin.... go figure. My best shaves come with very aggressive razors, Muhle R41 toothed comb, Joris, and Fatip with a variety of blades. They last two days sometimes and with fewer passes. The alum block not only relays the "closeness" of the shave but closes the pores and kills "germs". I need it, I want it, I have it. As always, YMMV. I then clean my razor and brush. I then rinse and apply after shave or balm depending on my mood.

0 114
 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
User Info
I usually use alcohol aftershaves and moisturizer. Alum is very rarely used and only if I get irritation. I find them a little drying even after rinsing.

I think I have had the same block and styptic pencil for the past 5 years. I replace them when I knock them out of the medicine cabinet and they shatter.

2 697
 04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
User Info
I apply after a cold rinse and leave for a minute then rinse again before applying cologne etc.
I also use an alum block as an under-arm deodorant,,,very effectiveSmile
regards, beejay

0 39
 04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-09-2012, 09:44 AM)gijames Wrote: How is the Alum Block applied?

If one has sensitive skin, should an alum block be avoided (does do more burn damage than good)?

Hi.

After rinsing face and before drying. Use the driping water to make the alum block glyde through your face.

I too have sensitive skin and it won't do no harm.

4 313
 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I just started using RazoRock Alum, I do notice that it tightens the skin slightly. I use the same as others have stated.

1 3,507
 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
I also use the Razorock Alum. The form factor is great and is even better for traveling. I've used mine every day for 2 months and it looks like it hasn't been touched. It might last forever.

The nice thing is they're only about $6. If you find it's not working for you, you're out less than a bottle of Clubman.

0 120