04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240032.JPG?m=1334004831]

This beauty just arrived from Germany today : a 21mm black fibres (synthetic) shaving brush.

The specs of this brush are :
  • 21 mm knot
  • 55 mm loft
  • 100 mm total height

So this is like the M Silvertip Fibres brush that I already have.

[Image: P1240033.JPG?m=1334004878]

I did read a brilliant thread started by Codfish over at B&B a while ago about the HJM with this same new type of synthetic hair,and after having so much success with the two silvertip fibres brushes,I had to order this one too to try it out.

Once again,I dont know what Muhle have done with this new sinthetic hair,but I can honestly tell you that if feels like badger hair,but in this particular case,not like regular pure badger hair (black),which is kind of scratchy on the tips,but more like silvertip hair.

This black sinthetic hair is super soft on the tips,maybe a little bit softer even than the medium Silvertip Fibres brush that I already own.I remember seeing a pic taken by Codfish of this new hair having its tips splitted (forked) like a boar brush after have been used and break in,but I couldnt take a pic of the splitted tips (my camara is not that good with macros).Here are two pics that I took of the tips of this black fibres hair,and as you can see,it looks like natural badger hair :

[Image: P1240034.JPG?m=1334004974]

[Image: P1240035.JPG?m=1334004988]

Also you can distinguish a reddish color too,but I guess thats a color of the synthetic fibres when light is passing through them.

Codfish also mentioned that the fibres have been "twisted" on a way to resemble even more the natural badger hair.I took 2 hairs out of the brush,and if I would find them on my sink,I would truly think that were hairs shed by one of my badger brushes :

[Image: P1240041.JPG?m=1334005070]

The density of this brush is a little bit less (or at least to me looks like) than the medium silvertip fibres brush that I have :

[Image: P1240037.JPG?m=1334004879]

Is this a problem?Not all all as we would see later.

Once the black fibres are wet,they look even more like natural badger hair :

[Image: P1240038.JPG?m=1334004974]

This brush has backbone,not like a two band badger hair brush,but like a best badger hair (like the Edwin Jagger ones) and also has a nice flow,something that I do really appreciate,since I want to avoid ultra stiff shaving brushes these days.

If I have to compare it with a badger brush,I would compare it with the famoust Edwin Jagger/Crabtree and Evelyn best badger brush,with 10 times softer tips.This brush is a lather machine,due to its density and also the hair used on it.I just tested it with the Muhle Sea Buckthorn shaving cream a couple times, with the same results of tons of lather, from a small quantity of shaving cream :

[Image: P1240039.JPG?m=1334005063]

[Image: P1240040.JPG?m=1334005063]

The results were the same with the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn soap,the Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and the La Toja shaving stick : tons of lather made in less than a minute.Thats quiet impressive,but I shouldnt be since I already know how good are the Muhle silvertip fibres synthetic brushes,or even the Frank Shaving synthetic one

This is the brush after 6 test with different soaps and creams :

[Image: P1240042.JPG?m=1334005145]

I haven't shaved with it,Ill do it tomorrow morning and will post my impressions with it.I will face lather with circular movements and Ill see if behaves like the silvertip fibres ones,but Im sure that it would be behave pretty close.

The brush took like 10 minutes to be fully dry after I used and it was ready to lather since the first test,so I will write again the advantages that I see when you use one of this synthetic brushes :

-Its not a lather hog,either sucks water or soap/cream,so the lather its build really quick,with almost no effort,and the lather quality is what many people like ,dense and thick,instead of runny or full of bubbles due to excess of water on the bristles like with natural hair brushes.

-It take less than 10 minutes to be fully dry out.

-You don't need to much cream or soap to make tons of lather with it.

-It behaves like a natural badger brush,with soft tips,good backbones and nice flow.With circular movements can be used with any problems,making no difference with natural badger hair.

-There is not break in period,like with some badger brushes or boar brushes.The brush is ready to be use as soon as you take it out of its box.No funky smell either!

What else can I say?Biggrin

Well done for Muhle and this new synthetic fibres shaving brushes!

Muhle Black Fibre 21mm shaving brush

86 7,123
 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Nice review!

1 223
 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Another nice review, Teiste!!

35 2,703
 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
Excellent review!

How does it feel balance wise? Is the weight distributed at the base or middle or uniform throughout the handle?

1 2,827
 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Biggrin

wow! very impressive! but I kinda like the smell of badger brushes...

do the synthetic ones have a spray on badger scent!
Wink

9 1,684
 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-09-2012, 04:05 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Excellent review!

How does it feel balance wise? Is the weight distributed at the base or middle or uniform throughout the handle?

Let me use it more and Ill let you know.So far I can tell you that I wish that Muhle would make this handle option for the silvertip fibres brush too.

(04-09-2012, 04:45 PM)gijames Wrote: Biggrin

wow! very impressive! but I kinda like the smell of badger brushes...

do the synthetic ones have a spray on badger scent!
Wink

The Chinese are working on it...Rolleyes

86 7,123
 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
Teiste, do you know the extent of the differences between the Muhle Black Fibre and Silvertip Fibre synthetic hair? Muhle markets them as two separate synthetic fibres, and it will be interesting to hear the results of your shaving experience with each of these synthetic fibre brushes. Your reviews of these brushes has been extremely useful and informative and undoubtedly has many readers reevaluating their next brush purchase...it certainly has done so for me.

0 3,341
 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-09-2012, 06:12 PM)jaguar Wrote: Teiste, do you know the extent of the differences between the Muhle Black Fibre and Silvertip Fibre synthetic hair? Muhle markets them as two separate synthetic fibres, and it will be interesting to hear the results of your shaving experience with each of these synthetic fibre brushes. Your reviews of these brushes has been extremely useful and informative and undoubtedly has many readers reevaluating their next brush purchase...it certainly has done so for me.

Let me use it on my tomorrow's shave and I will let you know.To me feels pretty similar to the Silvertip Fibres but I need to use it on my face to confirm that.

86 7,123
 04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. I've been wondering about these two kinds of synthetic fiber by the same company. I'll be watching this thread as your impressions take form.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(04-09-2012, 07:14 PM)Teiste Wrote: Let me use it on my tomorrow's shave and I will let you know.To me feels pretty similar to the Silvertip Fibres but I need to use it on my face to confirm that.

I'm very interested in your results. The price difference and handle design of the black fibre brush is more appealing to me for sure.

35 1,732
 04-10-2012, 04:36 AM
User Info
Very interesting indeed.

Looking forward to your experiences. One would think that Muhle would make (or use) two very different types of fibers. They could be very similar though, why not.

I hope Muhle will make these in a classic Muhle handle (e.g. the 33 K 257) one day, I'd buy it immediately.

0 641
 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Any update on the shave results with the black fibre vs the silvertip fibre?

31 7,912
 04-20-2012, 04:02 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you! I've been waiting to read about this one.
Much appreciated!

6 905
 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info

I received a prototype of this brush some time ago during MÜHLE's test of a new synthetic fiber & brush combination. I was very impressed with it.

The brush is now available on their website. It's offered through the HJM line of affordable, high-quality products. The same black fiber knot is now available in several Mühle and Edwin Jagger lines.

My experience with it has been amazing. This is my first synthetic brush, and I didn’t know what to expect. I was surprised at the softness of the tips, its ability to hold water and the fast drying time (about three hours). I think its price makes it a great value.

There is no noticeable break-in period with the brush. It performed as well on Day 1 as it does months later. It has a number of notable characteristics that are immediately apparent:

*ergonomic design
*softness of the tips
*performance
*quick drying time
*extremely economic use of soaps/creams

It quickly became my favorite of the dozen or so brushes I own.

Price: Offers good value at $39 in the MÜHLE catalog.
Quality: Every detail is carried out with extraordinary attention to design, materials and manufacturing detail. The brush lost only one fiber during the months I’ve owned it.
Density: Medium to dense. Very effective to use with soaps and creams (of all types).
Softness of Tips: Very soft and luxurious. By comparison, it is noticeably softer than my EJ Best Badger (23mm).
Ergonomic: This brush is outstanding in this respect. The size and shape are perfect for my hands, and the hard-rubber grip inserts are so effective they are sure to be adopted by other manufacturers. This brush is a delight to use daily. It dries completely in about three hours, even in cool, humid climates.
Latherability: I’ve used it with a wide range of hard and soft soaps and creams, and it performs very well with all.
Recommendation: Highly recommended. If you’ve been curious about synthetic brushes or great brushes in general, this is a great addition to your shave den.

The brush appears in the MÜHLE online HJM catalog as Model 31 P 8 W/GR. It is a vegan product, and does not contain any materials derived from animals.

This MÜHLE HJM brush contains a new black synthetic fiber that is laced with curly- and forked-strands (see photo), which adds to both softness and water retention. The new fiber was designed to compare in performance with good badger brushes. I think they did even better.

Please Note: The back-lighting used in the photos below was chosen to highlight details in the fibers. The reddish fibers are not visible under normal conditions.

[Image: 1-30-20128-35-37AM.jpg] [Image: photo7.jpg]

0 254
 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste and Codfish, thanks for your reviews. I'm not quite there when it comes to using synthetic brushes. I guess when pigs quit squealing I might give them a try.

173 23,502
 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your review of this brush/fibres,Codfish.Im totally agree with all that you have written about them and theyre outstanding fibres.I will be writing a post comparing them to the new silvertip fibres on a couple days.
I cant see the pics,my friend,I think there must be a problem with Flick.

86 7,123
 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-20-2012, 11:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: Teiste and Codfish, thanks for your reviews. I'm not quite there when it comes to using synthetic brushes. I guess when pigs quit squealing I might give them a try.

Well Johnny : now people who dont want to use animal hair have a more than decent option in these new synthetic fibres (both silvertip and black fibre) so Im glad that Muhle put an effort to provide a good "vegan" shaving brush that could be compare to real animal hair.
Also these brushes are perfect to the travelers.

86 7,123
 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-20-2012, 11:41 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-20-2012, 11:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: Teiste and Codfish, thanks for your reviews. I'm not quite there when it comes to using synthetic brushes. I guess when pigs quit squealing I might give them a try.

Well Johnny : now people who dont want to use animal hair have a more than decent option in these new synthetic fibres (both silvertip and black fibre) so Im glad that Muhle put an effort to provide a good "vegan" shaving brush that could be compare to real animal hair.
Also these brushes are perfect to the travelers.

When I quit eating bacon, sausage and ham I will quit using boar brushes. Biggrin

173 23,502
 04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 11:50 AM)Johnny Wrote: When I quit eating bacon, sausage and ham I will quit using boar brushes. Biggrin

I spent most the day yesterday smoking a pork shoulder. I used hickory and pecan wood and it was great. I shredded the shoulder, tossed it into a pot, slathered it in bbq sauce and black pepper then simmered it for a couple of hours. That was the best pulled pork bbq I ever made. I typically grill slabs of baby back ribs.

On the original topic, how well does Mühle retain water? I had a synthetic haired brush and it sucked.

For all the vegans, buy a horse hair brush. I just got one and I'm really enjoying it so far.

edit:
Wait a minute... isn't synthetic simply a fancy word for plastic? Isn't plastic environmentally unfriendly? Isn't plastic made from oil? Isn't oil collection and distribution responsible for many environmental disasters; which have claimed countless animal lives? hmmmm

9 451
 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
Teiste, thanks for another great write up!

The handle looks very nice, and different, but how comfortable is it to hold?

15 222