04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
User Info
I used a shaving stick & face lathered for the first time last night. for the soap I used a stick of speick that Teiste was kind enough to send to me and for the brush I used my NF 2201. I quite enjoy it and might begin doing it more often!

40 5,830
 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
It's pretty neat. I like to use a frankenbrush an online friend made for me (TGN super silvertip) or my Vie-Long horse hair brush.

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
User Info
Face lathering is amazing! Once you start, you may not go back to bowl/scuttle lathering.

75 20,883
 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice!

To be honest, I never did well with shave sticks "in stick form" and probably under loaded my beard, thus weak lather. I still prefer to mill them into a bowl so I can have more control. Can't deny they're convenient though! One of my favorites - Valobra - only comes as a stick and can't be beat, IMO.

35 2,703
 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 04:04 PM)texbilly Wrote: Nice!

To be honest, I never did well with shave sticks "in stick form" and probably under loaded my beard, thus weak lather. I still prefer to mill them into a bowl so I can have more control. Can't deny they're convenient though! One of my favorites - Valobra - only comes as a stick and can't be beat, IMO.

@texbilly I could not agree more with you. I mill mine as well into a bowl/dish. Valobra is very underrated. I have tried lots and lots of soaps and it is in my top 5 list.
@andrewjs18 I have not bowl lathered in years. I tried face lathering once and never looked back.

10 173
 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 04:02 PM)celestino Wrote: Face lathering is amazing! Once you start, you may not go back to bowl/scuttle lathering.

He speaks the truth.

9 1,199
 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never had good luck with it myself but think it's great for those who like it. I sometimes face lather with MWF, but not by rubbing the soap on my face. I load the brush like Teiste does in his videos, rub the lather all over my face then add water as needed. Otherwise, I'm making suds in the scuttle.

173 23,546
 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
I bowl lathered exactly once for real, then just decided face lather simply made far more sense and did so for a month or so before trying bowl lathering one last time. That day I actually missed the face lather and decided I'd never not face lather again and I haven't other than for test lathers or to break a new boar in.

BTW, Valobra may only be available in a stick, but it can be shredded and turned into a puck fairly easily. Most sticks can be. I use ARKO as a puck, and soon Speick, Palmolive, and Valobra will be also. I just haven't gotten there yet.

We all blade shave but within that bin, there are also bowl letherers, hand latherers, and face latherers. YMMV, but we all blade shave. It's what works best for you.

Personnally I like the face prep that face lathering affords. But again, YMMV.

32 6,309
 04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-09-2012, 04:02 PM)celestino Wrote: Face lathering is amazing! Once you start, you may not go back to bowl/scuttle lathering.

Face lathering is amazing, but bowl lathering is too, IMHO.
I just grated 3 sticks of Palmolive tallow sticks in one big bowl and this morning I had plenty of fun lathering and made a really creamy lather. BBS result!

4 313
 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
User Info
I bought an Arko stick specifically for a trip I was taking last week and fell in love with face lathering. I melted a puck of VdH Luxury into a cool mug I found and have been lathering in there instead of my lather mug (Latte mug) but I'm anxious to try face lathering with some of the creams I have too.

0 120
 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
I tried bowl lathering once. It just seemed all that brush time was better spent on the face.

2 697
 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
I've been palm lathering my Razorock soap with good results lately. With sticks I just rub em on my face and go to facelathering. With soaps and creams in containers I just load the brush and facelather. I find that I get a closer and smoother shave than when I bowllather.

Clayton

6 617