05-10-2013, 06:13 AM
User Info
Why is this type of comment used so often for items that need to be reduced three times befor a sale? Is there a secret keep the prices high brigade? I am just trying to recover what I paid for this item. Is it collectable? If not, prices decline. If you believe prices do not decline, I have NIB, (when I got it) used onlfy a few times ( new and used? ) new, I only used iy once, five year old Ford for sale for what I paid. Of cource, I will pay the shipping. Also, I view any offers as insulting.

0 25
 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sounds more like a complaint so I will move this from the General Section to the Complaint Section.

173 23,513
 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-10-2013, 06:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: Sounds more like a complaint so I will move this from the General Section to the Complaint Section.

I was not sure what to make of the post. Huh

45 16,310
 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I must agree with you, Phil ... I read the OP several times, and can't quite make 'heads or tails' of what the issue was/is? Huh

102 17,665
 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
A Little More Detail would be nice.

1 819
 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't truly understand the OP's complaint, either. Huh

2 11,211
 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
Panama, can you please clear up what the complaint itself is? Are you complaining about people making posts in BST saying things like "I can't believe this is still here?" or are you complaining about people lowering prices to get things to sell?

Sometimes I do make "great price" comments on sales. Occasionally someone is posting something for a quick sale. Sometimes, prices seem good, but for whatever reason the items just don't want to sell. Prices keep getting lowered until someone finally buys it or the seller just pulls the sale.

What is your actual complaint?

129 6,685
 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, there is much to be said about clarity. I, too, have no idea what our colleague is trying to say. Perhaps he will clarify his point.

132 2,614
 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
It's always risky to try to interpret someone else's posts, but I think he may be complaining about ads whose titles or content are possibly misleading by saying "Great Prices" when the prices may not actually be so great, since they subsequently are lowered 2 or 3 times before a sale happens. However, my own impression is that items still may not sell quickly, for one reason or another, even if the prices truly are great compared to other previous sales.

184 12,002
 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
User Info
My comment regarded people jumping in saying price or won't last long. For example, yesterday six brushes for sale. First comment was I expect these will be gone posthastel. Thay have all been lowered and none have sold. I am not talking about the seller, I am talking about the commenter. Are these people just shills? Truly great prices result in sales.

Next, I have seen new in box, I only opened it to try it. That is NOT new on box.

0 25
 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Many users of a product for sale put up these types of comments. Rather than shills, it's possible they genuinely like the product being offered and are just showing their enthusiasm.

2 11,211
 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
User Info
Finally, I just bought this a week ago and it is not for me. I only want to get my money back. Hence my comment I have a car for sale and only want to get my money back. It just seems unreasonable to me to expect someone get their money back after using an item.

0 25
 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(05-10-2013, 12:11 PM)freddy Wrote: Many users of a product for sale put up these types of comments. Rather than shills, it's possible they genuinely like the product being offered and are just showing their enthusiasm.

Yep that's it.

15 541
 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
User Info
Well, I would not expect someone to sell a used item for a new price. But if I go out and buy something used at what is already a discounted price, why should I not be able to expect to get the same amount back?

We are not talking about new cars here. You drive a new car off the lot, depreciation kicks in and poof it is worth a lot less. But if you make a private purchase through craigslist or the classifieds (do people still do that?) for a used car, and you drive it for a week and decide it's not for you. What's wrong with putting it up for sale again for near what you paid?

In another perspective, I have put up a very nice Shavemac 26mm D01 silvertip twice. I paid $180 for it. I've been trying to sell it for $110. People have commented it's a great price. Well for something I have used perhaps 2 or 3 times, it is indeed a great price. It is just a VERY specific brush which is not in high demand. You seem to be suggesting that I sell it for $25 or something.

The same can be said for a couple Joris razors I have put up. They are like new, retail for $160 and I sell for around $110. While Joris makes some of the most beautiful razors on the planet the shave is not for everyone. Sometimes they sit for some time. If someone comments "beautiful handle" what's wrong with that?

All of that said, if you like I will remember that you do not like posts which state something is a good deal, and if you choose to sell something on our BST and it's a great price, I won't mention it. Undecided

But again, your car analogy is severely flawed.

129 6,685
 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
I recently had a want to buy shavemac D01and had no responses. I believe what I was saying referred to, for example, I paid $180 so allI want is my $180 back. Where did I say $25? Three people jump in with great price may well result in someone less knowledgable paying too much. Would people feel it is ok to post "too much, don't buy". Why can't the buyer and seller come to terms among themselves?

One for example, there is a brush (sold) $22, should i have writen too much, only $18 new shipped?

0 25
 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
User Info
(05-10-2013, 01:21 PM)panama Wrote: I recently had a want to buy shavemac D01and had no responses. I believe what I was saying referred to, for example, I paid $180 so allI want is my $180 back. Where did I say $25? Three people jump in with great price may well result in someone less knowledgable paying too much. Would people feel it is ok to post "too much, don't buy". Why can't the buyer and seller come to terms among themselves?

Why can't people post comments in a BST thread?

You are contradicting yourself my friend. I am talking about a post I made, selling a $180 brush for $110 which a couple members here commented that while the brush was not for them, it was a great price and someone should jump on it. Why are you against that?

We're not going to start implementing rules baring users from making posts in people's BST threads unless it is a problematic post. Yes, people have pointed out politely on occasion if a price seems out of whack. If the post is polite, and the seller has a rational response, those posts stand as well.

I just don't understand why you are taking such issue with this. It happens on just about every forum out there with a sales section.

129 6,685
 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
User Info
where did I suggest a rule? Where did I say people can't post. just don't understand entering to the benefit of the seller and to the detriment of the buyer. We should all want a level playing field. I did not suggest requiring one. I do not believe for a minute if I commented price too high every time I see great price I would not hear about it. In general I don't know good prices from bad, only see sold or not. Not that I comment on posts, this was just an observation.

0 25
 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Gentlemen, this thread is closed. Points of view have been expressed and now this is just getting argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Let's move on.

2 11,211