04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
I have 2 horse hair (with a third on the way) brushes in my current collection. I got them as I heard they did best with the croaps out there and having Cella and I Coloniali I thought I should get one.

I have to say, I am truly loving these brushes. They are perfect for croaps, do as well as badger with creams IMO (and yes, I have silvertips I paid over $150 for), and hold their own nicely with hard soaps.

I know the Anthrax story from WWI as to why they fell out of favor, but I am wondering why they have never really regained their prominence. Horse hair can be firm, it can be soft and it's the only natural brush out there where no animals are harmed.

Anyone else out there like Horse Hair??

129 6,685
 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Horse hair brushes really seem to be catching on. They were only recently reintroduced to traditional shavers on this side of the pond and it will take time. In the last two years though they have definitely increased in popularity.

Mt natural horse beehive is among my favorite brushes.

45 16,276
 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-09-2012, 08:37 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Horse hair brushes really seem to be catching on. They were only recently reintroduced to traditional shavers on this side of the pond and it will take time. In the last two years though they have definitely increased in popularity.

Absolutely. Based on my great experience with my first, a Vie-Long, I'm quickly becoming a fan and see the unique advantages these brushes bring.

35 2,703
 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
I got two horse hair brushes from Turkey and just love them - they see a lot more use than my boar brush, that's for sure Smile

A decent horse hair brush don't cost that much, it'll make a wonderful lather from soaps, creams and sticks and it's great for working the lather into my skin. What is not to like?

I suspect there is so little talk about horse hair brushes since there are so few that makes them these days... and there are few manufacturers because so few people buy them, and so few people buy them because there is so little talk about them. Funny how things work that way.

3 3,550
 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
With three horse hair brushes now on my possession they are definitely worthy of high praise from me. While I have not had the pleasure (or funds) to try out a high end badger, the more I use horse the less need I feel to fall into the price trap of badger. In fact I'm more interested in the new synthetics and more horse than fancy badgers.

35 1,732
 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
(04-09-2012, 08:43 PM)Tonality Wrote: With three horse hair brushes now on my possession they are definitely worthy of high praise from me. While I have not had the pleasure (or funds) to try out a high end badger, the more I use horse the less need I feel to fall into the price trap of badger. In fact I'm more interested in the new synthetics and more horse than fancy badgers.

I could not agree more. I *may* order one of Phil's custom Vie Long horse badger mix beehives when I order a natural horse from him, but other than that I don't see myself ordering any more badger brushes. I have several brushes I consider my "travel" brushes as in if I forget them at the hotel I won't be too upset. I have a badger in that list and a couple boars, but not so with the horse.

I am glad to see I am not alone in the linking of horse.

129 6,685
 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(04-09-2012, 08:48 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(04-09-2012, 08:43 PM)Tonality Wrote: With three horse hair brushes now on my possession they are definitely worthy of high praise from me. While I have not had the pleasure (or funds) to try out a high end badger, the more I use horse the less need I feel to fall into the price trap of badger. In fact I'm more interested in the new synthetics and more horse than fancy badgers.

I could not agree more. I *may* order one of Phil's custom Vie Long horse badger mix beehives when I order a natural horse from him, but other than that I don't see myself ordering any more badger brushes. I have several brushes I consider my "travel" brushes as in if I forget them at the hotel I won't be too upset. I have a badger in that list and a couple boars, but not so with the horse.

I am glad to see I am not alone in the linking of horse.

I have the LE horse/badger and I think it's a good buy. It's shorter than I expected and stiff, but after a couple lathers it softens up. I prefer it over my Vie Long 13061 for hard soaps and it face lathers great.

35 1,732
 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The generation break in wet shaving created a new market along with a relatively new consumer base.
We were all initially exposed to badger with it's preponderances of offerings and 'mystique.'Boar and horse are coming back and will need to build consumer confidence and acceptance.

2 3,166
 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I really want to like these. I ordered a couple of Vie Long models and tried the larger one, but I have never seen a brush suck up all the lather into the knot like mine does. I would squeeze the soap out of the knot and start working it, and it would get sucked right out of the bowl into the knot. I would squeeze it out again, and it would suck it right back into the brush. It would literally leave no lather in the bowl! I gave up on it and never even tried the smaller brush.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-10-2012, 12:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Vie Long is doing a great job with their horse shaving brushes.I must admit that I did tried one on the past and I didnt like it a bit (a barber style one) but I took some pics of the Vie Long Bullgooseshaving.net LE brushes,and the mixed badger/horse and 100% pure horse hair surprised me.
Im too sold to synthetic brushes right now,but who knows,maybe I should try one of those Vie Longs horse hair soon.

86 7,123
 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
User Info
That is odd Murray, neither of mine does that... off course, both of mine have a reasonable short loft. If you're not too disappointed, you might want to give the short one a go.

Off course, if you are too disappointed to try again, I know of a good home for them Wink

3 3,550
 04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I did try a vintage Semogue horse hair brush that Sr. Gomes lent me.
I was not impressed.

4 313
 04-10-2012, 12:54 AM
User Info
I have a pure horse (Vie-Long 12601) and a horse/badger mix (Vie-Long 14080) and love them.

Especially the 14080, it was indeed excellent value for money. And that typical red and white Vie-Long handle is a beauty!

2 5,527
 04-10-2012, 01:45 AM
User Info
I like my brown horsehair LE, but not as much as my badger brushes for sure...

I mean it was a great value of a brush, and its close to great badger brushes, but not quite.

0 652
 04-10-2012, 04:24 AM
User Info
I really like the horsehair concept, all of it. I like how it was the original choice for hair (AFAIK) in a brush & no animals are harmed in the making. However, my face didn't care for the prickly hairs that are in there as I got the worst case of brush burn from it. I know that with less pressure I wouldn't even feel the prickly hairs, but I'm not one that like to build lather o my face with the tips only & a feather light touch on my face.

I'm not a huge "don't hurt the animals" proponent but for my next animal-friendly choice of brush I'll be giving the new breed of synthetic a try before giving a horse another chance. I'm sure I'll try another horsehair eventually as Vie-Long is making some great brushes & I'm glad so many are having great results with them. This should ensure that I even have an opportunity to try another in the future.

31 7,912
 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
As above, I think that for most of us they are a recent addition to the brush options out there. As positive reviews build and I believe that the popularity will continue to grow.

Also, as of right now they seem more affordable than many badger brushes, which will help it along also.

0 353
 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Maybe we need to start the Jockey Club at the Shave Nook. Cool

45 16,276
 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(04-10-2012, 07:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Maybe we need to start the Jockey Club at the Shave Nook. Cool

I'm game, I have a nice little stable with more planned in the future!!

35 1,732
 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I picked up a VL 13800 based on the suggestion of some guys over at Reddit, including a couple who post here. I love it, and I'd say right now it's fighting for dominance with my new boar brush.

I have a silvertip badger, and it's nice, but for some reason the stiffer brushes just get more love from me. I will probably try some middle-price Finest or Best badger brushes before I settle on a final line-up, but I'm definitely a horse lover.

10 1,858
 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have a Vie-Long 12601 100% horsehair and a Vie-Long Gonzalo horsehair/boar mix and enjoy them both. I also think both of them are great value for money. The 12601 is one of my favorite brushes and works well at creams and croaps. I tend to go with the Gonzalo if I am using a hard soap.

2 11,211