05-11-2013, 06:43 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
1st of all Thanks to Teiste and to Barbiere di Figaro for providing the product and setting up this test. The test consisted of using 3 different scents of BdF's Crema de Barba. (Shave Soap). The 3 scents on trial are "Exclusivo", "Classico", & "Mistero".... We each have the Crema da Barba's for 1 week and as I am a 36 hr. shaver who just went through "HELL WEEK" at the day job, I used each scent for 1 shave.

I will 1st get into performance factors as all 3 perform the same. The consistency is really a super thick cream. Almost a croap IMHO. I used my trusty spoon to measure out the product. This cream lathers up willingly. Using the ultra-lather method and my vintage Old Spice mug to get it started it easily became a beautiful creamy lather. As I added H2O little by little it really came to life. An almond sized spoonful made more than enough lather for a 3 pass plus shave. By the time I was on the 3rd tub I had diminished the product by at least 1/2 and STILL had enough for a 3 pass shave PLUS... This soap is very concentrated. A little will go a long way even ultra-lathering which calls for more product. I used all boar brushes for my tests (Semogue 620, Semogue 1460, Omega 10066) and the product performed above expectations with each brush used. Razors as follows, Gem J-Bar, Gem Featherweight, Gem MM Clogpruf.

The Crema di Barba makes a thick luxurious lather but IMHO it could use just a bit more "slick". My razors had enough "glide" but after the pass there was a slight drying sensation. Not really a problem but I personally prefer a little bit of moisture left behind. The lather stayed thick and creamy all through the shave and did not diminish in any way. I really enjoyed the experience. All 3 shaves were BBS.

After the shave and rinse my skin felt nice and smooth. Not dry in any way. Also the scent isn't lingering as with some soaps which to me is a plus.

As for the scents. I spent a good time sniffing the containers. At 1st I wasn't very fond of the "Exclusivo" but it grew on me. It has an herbal-spicy-citrus scent. The "Classico" I could detect a woodsy-floral type fragrance that was very appealing. And my favorite was the "Mistero". I have to say this stuff smells terrific. Hard for me to pin point but I think vetiver-sandalwood for sure is there. A manly scent for sure. Yummy liked it the most also which is a plus for "Mistero"... The scents are not over powering at all but give a nice comfort feeling to the shave.

All in all this was a test and I'm not sure of price points or packaging but for the right price these cremas would be well worth it. The product performs as intended and is overall a great product. I'd score it 8.5 on the Savage scale and would recommend it to any wetshaver who likes variety in their shave dens. Would I buy it? That "Mistero" is calling my name for sure !!!

The Crema da Barba's are off to taborcarn next so look for his reviews..
Thanks again to Teiste and Barbiere di Figaro for setting this up... HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 05-12-2013, 04:38 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm waiting for a BdF "Esclusivo", among other stuff, and I'm really looking forward to try it. Cool

2 5,527
 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Nice review! I have used all 4 scents extensively lately and for slick lather, you'll need to add quite some water as this type of soap is thirsty!
With the right amount of water, you'll get one of the best soaps available.

0 117
 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(05-12-2013, 02:08 PM)marcel Wrote: Nice review! I have used all 4 scents extensively lately and for slick lather, you'll need to add quite some water as this type of soap is thirsty!

Marcel I am inclined to believe you are correct. I plan on ordering a tub of Mystero as soon as my shave funds have built back up. I just purchased a few brushes and had to deal with Mothers Day (Yummy can be expensive...lol) so the shave account is depleted... As soon as I get it I will try your suggestion... Thanks. Sav

5 1,151
 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM
User Info
I have the classico, esclusivo (goes very well with ADP Colonia) and raffinato, all of them are top performers, and reading this post makes mw want to buy the mistero...

10 605
 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
How does the performance compare to other TFS offerings? I'm familiar with the Razorock line and just wondering if these are a different formulation or just different scents.

52 476
 05-14-2013, 12:15 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
(05-13-2013, 08:16 PM)squatzilla801 Wrote: How does the performance compare to other TFS offerings? I'm familiar with the Razorock line and just wondering if these are a different formulation or just different scents.

The formulation is different compared to other TFS products. In my experience, the lather is a bit more dense, creamier maybe. But the performance is on the same level IMHO. And the scents are wonderful, the Raffinato is the best almond croap I have encountered so far.

0 117
 05-14-2013, 05:05 AM
User Info
I received the box with the samples yesterday, so I took them for a spin this morning.

This is a thick cream, more of a croap, so I scooped a little bit of it out of the container with a spoon and pressed it into a bowl. I went at it with a Simpsons Colonel in Best that was pre-soaked and shaken fairly dry. My original plan was to just load it from there then face lather, but the lather fluffed up instantly so I stuck with the bowl.

I chose the Esclusivo scent to start with. The description of this was just "a pleasent fruity fragrance", but to me I found it to be a cirtus and fern scent very similar to DR Harris Arlington but a little woodier/spicier. This was great, since Arlington is one of my top scents.

The lather itself was a little thicker than most regular creams I'm used to, and closer to Cella in consistency. The cushion was good, but the protection and slickness was out of this world (get up, come on get down with the slickness). The blade I used was a GSB on its third use, and it barely felt like I had a blade in the razor at all. This was just one of the smoothest and most comfortable shaves I've had. No weepers at all, and when I applied some Clubman afterwards the sting was minimal.

So it's still very early in the test, but I'm giving it a preliminary 8/10 for scent and 10/10 for performance. It really puts the Proraso White tub croap I've been using for the past few weeks to shame. Call me a fan, I definitely see an order of this in my future.

10 2,062
 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
(05-12-2013, 02:08 PM)marcel Wrote: Nice review! I have used all 4 scents extensively lately and for slick lather, you'll need to add quite some water as this type of soap is thirsty!

Hi Marcel Biggrin Yes, also here Tongue

I got all 4 of the soaps here too and i am really satisfied with them.

They all have a nice, quite unique scent and they perfom (with the right amount of water) excellent!

The lather is superthick, gives a really nice slick and keeps the skin well protected. These are absolutely one of my favorite soaps i got (and i got quite a few Tongue )

0 4
 05-15-2013, 04:54 AM
User Info
I used the Classico soap this morning. This one has kind of a similar scent, Fruit with some earthy spice. For now I think I prefer the Esclusivo, but I'll try each again before sending them on.

I used a different brush this morning, the Semogue 2012 LE. This is a boar/badger mixed knot and I'm still getting used to it. I think the water ratio was off since I didn't get as much slickness and protection as yesterday, but it was still a very smooth and comfortable shave.

10 2,062
 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM
User Info
I have the Raffinato and its an excellent soap! It's an incremental improvement to her older soaps (which I also love).

47 1,112
 05-16-2013, 05:47 AM
User Info
I took the Mistero for a spin this morning. The scent of this one is to me more of a cologne-like scent, with the sandalwood and vetiver being apparent. Good stuff, but now that I've tried all three I think I still prefer the Esclusivo.

I think my water ratio was better than yesterday, but I still didn't get the magic slickness I got from the first day. Good thing I still have a couple more days to try and work it out.

10 2,062
 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM
User Info
Found that magic water ratio again this morning and was rewarded with that ultra-slick lather again. This time with the Semogue Italian Barber brush. Esclusivo will definitely be my choice when I make an order.

10 2,062