05-12-2013, 06:20 AM
User Info
How do the Lab Blues compare to the reds?

0 54
 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
To me, they are about the same. I think the reds are better thought of but I get four or five shaves out of either. The Personna Medical Prep blades, to me, are superior.

7 898
 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
I personally have stocked up on the Blues (Labs, not the similar-appearing Med Preps) out of preference for an American-made product. I think they are all fine blades and comparison would be hard for me since it has been a while since trying a Red.

47 1,270
 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
(05-16-2013, 03:10 PM)kentclark Wrote: I personally have stocked up on the Blues (Labs, not the similar-appearing Med Preps) out of preference for an American-made product. I think they are all fine blades and comparison would be hard for me since it has been a while since trying a Red.

+1

06-10-2013, 08:30 AM
User Info
Blues, just because of price.

5 410
 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I have only used the Personna Med Preps, but from what I've read you can't go wrong with any of them. Some say there is no different in Meds and Blues, some say there is. Some say Red IP's over Meds, some say otherwise. I guess this is just another classic case of YMMV.

15 970
 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
User Info
I prefer the Reds and they are one of my favorite blades. Cost difference isn't so much that it would factor in my buying decision.

Agree that it's probably a YMMV kind of thing.

0 64
 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
I tried the blues a few times but I ended switching them out mid shave. It was a long while ago, could have been also a bum pack.
The reds work very well for me, especially in an open comb razor.

6 808
 06-18-2013, 07:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It may depend on which Personna Red you are talking about. Up until recently, the "Reds" in the blue plastic pack and the "reds" in the red cardboard pack were identical. The blades were both made in Israel but the reds in the cardboard packs were then packaged in Mexico for the North American market.

My understanding though is that now the blades are different. The blades in the blue plastic packs are still made in Israel while the blades in the red cardboard packs are now made in Mexico

Mexican Personna Red Blade

[Image: wksL2HM.png]

Israeli Personna Red Blade

[Image: 5DYxAGt.gif]

45 16,346
 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
This is good information. I have been wanting to try some of the so called Red IP's forever. I wonder now if I should get the ones in the plastic to get the true Red IP's?

15 970
 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-18-2013, 07:16 PM)bullgoose Wrote: It may depend on which Personna Red you are talking about. Up until recently, the "Reds" in the blue plastic pack and the "reds" in the red cardboard pack were identical. The blades were both made in Israel but the reds in the cardboard packs were then packaged in Mexico for the North American market.

My understanding though is that now the blades are different. The blades in the blue plastic packs are still made in Israel while the blades in the red cardboard packs are now made in Mexico

When I first started wet shaving, this past Christmas, a member here sent me some Israeli Red Personna blades to try out along with a sample of MdC (which was amazing). I had a sample pack of razors I ordered and had tried all but a couple brands when the Red Personna's arrived. I immediately tried out the Red Personna. I haven't looked back hahaha. For myself, they are the best I've tried so far. Unfortunately I have ran out and was looking to order some more, but as I'm sure some have noticed, there is a lot of confusion about these blades. I don't know what to make of it. All I know is I'm trying to figure out what I need to order because I'm out. Then again, I may not be. I looked in my sample pack and noticed a plastic package of 10 personna platinum (blue label, with personna in red type face). So I looked at the razor blades to compare. Here is the pic I took.
[Image: DwNl4gS.jpg]
The blade on the right is the blade I received in the sample pack that I ordered. The package it came in is under the blade.
The blade on the left is the one sent to me in a red package like this:
[Image: ePCu7qI.jpg]
When I examine the blades they both seem identical.
In fact, the one on the left has the AB and last 1 rubbed off from use. A few differences I notice are
1. the one on the right has the ABCD11 brand on both sides of the razor, and one on left only had the brand on one side. Possibly it rubbed off the one side during use or from unwrapping the wax paper and little sticky used.
2. As noted above the one on the left was wrapped in red paper with a little glue to hold the paper closed. The one on the right was wrapped in white paper.
3. The type-face on the blades are slightly different. Not sure this is really an issue.

So are these the same blades? I haven't tried the one on the right yet, but I will this week.

The package of the one on the left was from Mexico but made in Israel is my understanding. But I noticed your pic of Mexican personna and notice all looks the same, except the box is different.

Honestly, I'm confused!Confused Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 36
 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-23-2013, 12:48 PM)MikeD Wrote:
(06-18-2013, 07:16 PM)bullgoose Wrote: It may depend on which Personna Red you are talking about. Up until recently, the "Reds" in the blue plastic pack and the "reds" in the red cardboard pack were identical. The blades were both made in Israel but the reds in the cardboard packs were then packaged in Mexico for the North American market.

When I first started wet shaving, this past Christmas, a member here sent me some Israeli Red Personna blades to try out along with a sample of MdC (which was amazing). I had a sample pack of razors I ordered and had tried all but a couple brands when the Red Personna's arrived. I immediately tried out the Red Personna. I haven't looked back hahaha. For myself, they are the best I've tried so far. Unfortunately I have ran out and was looking to order some more, but as I'm sure some have noticed, there is a lot of confusion about these blades. I don't know what to make of it. All I know is I'm trying to figure out what I need to order because I'm out. Then again, I may not be. I looked in my sample pack and noticed a plastic package of 10 personna platinum (blue label, with personna in red type face). So I looked at the razor blades to compare. Here is the pic I took.
[Image: DwNl4gS.jpg]
The blade on the right is the blade I received in the sample pack that I ordered. The package it came in is under the blade.
The blade on the left is the one sent to me in a red package like this:
[Image: ePCu7qI.jpg]
When I examine the blades they both seem identical.
In fact, the one on the left has the AB and last 1 rubbed off from use. A few differences I notice are
1. the one on the right has the ABCD11 brand on both sides of the razor, and one on left only had the brand on one side. Possibly it rubbed off the one side during use or from unwrapping the wax paper and little sticky used.
2. As noted above the one on the left was wrapped in red paper with a little glue to hold the paper closed. The one on the right was wrapped in white paper.
3. The type-face on the blades are slightly different. Not sure this is really an issue.

So are these the same blades? I haven't tried the one on the right yet, but I will this week.

The package of the one on the left was from Mexico but made in Israel is my understanding. But I noticed your pic of Mexican personna and notice all looks the same, except the box is different.

Honestly, I'm confused!Confused Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Well...they used to be the same blade and if you have old stock, they are the same blade. The new stock blades in the red cardboard box though are now made in Mexico while the ones in the Blue Plastic box are made in Israel.

45 16,346