05-12-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
For the past 2 years, I've been wet shaving using almost exclusively the SI (the original) and the Personna Med. Prep. blades. Occasionally, I'll use another blade for the sake of variety, but for the most part, it's been these 2 blades in my razors.

Both are fantastic blades and any one looking for a super smooth and clean shave can't go wrong with either. However, if I had to pick one, it would be the PMP because of its longevity. A single blade lasts long enough to be considered paranormal. Some times I change the PMP blade just because I feel guilty, even though I really don't need to.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. I just thought I'd share what I've concluded after 2 years.

9 1,199
 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
Holy cow, Randy! This is a YMMV issue as i, also, love the original SIs, but loathe the Med blades. i have tried both varieties of the Personna Meds and they are both equally abhorrent for me! i can't even get through one pass to show you how rough they are for me! Oh, well, such is the variance of life. Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-12-2013, 08:36 PM)celestino Wrote: Holy cow, Randy! This is a YMMV issue as i, also, love the original SIs, but loathe the Med blades. i have tried both varieties of the Personna Meds and they are both equally abhorrent for me! i can't even get through one pass to show you how rough they are for me! Oh, well, such is the variance of life. Biggrin

I will echo Celestino's experience with the Med Preps. I know that a lot of people love them but, I am not one of them. Funny how blades work differently for different people.

45 16,279
 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
I agree, both are fantastic blades. I prefer the Med Preps because they're every bit as good and priced better last time I was buying. OK, American jobs too, of course that is a factor for purchasing, but not a factor in liking the shave they give.

Some day I'll have to push both blades to see how many shaves I can get from them. I believe I remember getting 10 shaves from a Med Prep, but I never tried for longevity with the SIs. Blades don't age well in my DE razors. They get all pissy and start to draw blood when asked to do too much, so I've been canning them after 7 shaves. That's still not too bad from a DE blade.

32 6,308
 05-12-2013, 09:23 PM
User Info
Over on another board, there was a guy by the name of "noahpictures" who tried many blades over a long period of time and reported on each. When he tried the PMP, he got to 36 shaves on one blade and stopped out of ridiculus boredom.

I realize the YMMV thing and all, but not to make it thru ONE shave?!?! Still got those PMP hanging around, Celestino?Tongue

(05-12-2013, 08:36 PM)celestino Wrote: Holy cow, Randy! This is a YMMV issue as i, also, love the original SIs, but loathe the Med blades. i have tried both varieties of the Personna Meds and they are both equally abhorrent for me! i can't even get through one pass to show you how rough they are for me! Oh, well, such is the variance of life. Biggrin

9 1,199
 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
User Info
Sorry, Randy, they are all gone, my friend! Biggrin
You do know that Noah (noahpictures) uses straights, right? Are you sure he wasn't referring to the name of one of his straights? Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
User Info
I use Super Iridiums exclusively now. Get great shaves. I typically change the blade after seven shaves (Sunday morning ritual). And after seven shaves, the blade is ready to be changed; starts degrading beyond that for me.

3 543
 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
I just want to see the guys beard that gets a month of shaves from one blade.

Not all beards are created equal. Dodgy

2 546
 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
(05-13-2013, 03:39 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I just want to see the guys beard that gets a month of shaves from one blade.

+1 No kidding! Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-14-2013, 02:12 AM
User Info
(05-12-2013, 08:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

I will echo Celestino's experience with the Med Preps. I know that a lot of people love them but, I am not one of them. Funny how blades work differently for different people.

My experience was likewise. I found the Med. Preps just average blades. Oh well, I guess I just can't expect much from a blade that is made to have just a single-use in a pre-surgery context...! Laughing1

OTOH, Super Iridiums are among my favourite blades, along with Perma-Sharps and Gillette Silver Blues. I can get more than 20 shaves with them (depending of what razor I use), something that I can't do with any other blade - but generally I get bored of the blade and end to toss it out. And yes, my beard is thick and dense - but I use a pre-shave, I guess that helps...

2 5,527
 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
User Info
Emanuel,
20 shaves with the SIs! Wow, that is amazing! Are you sure you have a Portuguese beard, compadre?!Biggrin
i can only get 7 at the most.

75 20,883
 05-23-2013, 06:07 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I was sent 3 Meds and 3 Labs with my Semogue B&B Boar I recently bough. Asked the seller which he would try first, the recommended the Labs as they are cheaper he said than the Meds. I tried the Med instead this morning and I think it's the best blade to ever hit my face, so freaking smooth feeling.

15 970
 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(05-13-2013, 07:13 PM)celestino Wrote:
(05-13-2013, 03:39 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I just want to see the guys beard that gets a month of shaves from one blade.

+1 No kidding! Biggrin

I shave 2~3 times per week. I have the least growth and finest whiskers of anyone I know, and I get 6 shaves at the most with SI's. If I try to push it and go for more, I know I am asking for trouble. Super Iridiums and Iridium Supers are my go to blades.

~Frank

18 271
 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Also, could anynoe post a pic of a Super Iridium cartridge? Being new I'm still learning about Blades. So far the only ones I have used are GSB, 7 o clock yellows, Astra SP, Feather, and Personna Meds. When people talk polsilver iridiums and Super Iridiums I still get very much confused.

15 970
 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
The general consensus is that these blades are all about the same. There have even been some blind tests showing that they do indeed shave exactly the same. That said, here's what I've been able to come up with through my extensive research Tongue

[Image: o1-iridiums_zps380a11da.jpg]

The ones on the left (brown package) are no longer available in that packaging, unless you might find some new old stock somewhere. Middle is PolSilver Super Iridium available at many fine vendors. Right is Iridium Supers which many report are no longer available, but I just recently bought a box of 100.

Hope this helps.

~Frank

18 271
 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for this info. I was PIF some blades reently also with another puchase from Phil at Bullgoose and I don't think this is them, but they are some sort of Iridiums, will just have to do some checking. Also, I'm curious how wetshavers alike started using Personna Med Preps for shaving seeing as how they say hospital use on themSmile

15 970
 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have noticed inconsistency in Personna Super (both med and lab) quality. When I tried them first time, they came to me via a trade and were mixed labs and meds. Could not tell from the wrapper and they were all sealed, obviously. I found those blades average at best and pretty bad at worst. Biggest complaint for me was roughness. They felt terrible, but not all of them. There would be a blade here and there that was good. I used them up and traded some away.

Then I decided to buy a 100 pack from ebay for $13 delivered just for kicks. Well, so far I am about a dozen blades into this 100 pack and honestly, they are some of the very best blades I have on hand. That includes, Polsiver SI, Feather, Astra SP, Perma-Sharp Super, Super-Max SP, various colors of 7 O'clock. I am not saying they are better than all those, just that they are completely on the level and better than some of the ones I mentioned. Simply outstanding blades for $13/100.

I think many accounts of hatred of these blades may be due to lack of consistency in edge quality. Perhaps Personna has resolved it. If any of the guys who hate this blade want to PM me with teir address I'll be happy to send a few from "good" stash along for verification of this theory. Mine are labs, BTW, which I find identical to meds from previous experience.

25 1,705
 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
My guess about how shavers began to use the Med Preps is that it was a blade for shaving and someone simply decided to try them.

Biggrin Personally, I've always found printing of that sort, or signs, "Hospital use only" would be one, to be something to be ignored, or even a gauntlet thrown down in challenge, unless it's a don't walk on the grass sort of thing that affects everyone. But if it's only me at risk, it's my decision, and my responsibility. Having written that, some written words are worth adhering to; such as "Not for internal use", things like that. Heck, a hospital use blade can't possibly be any worse than a Dorco can it? Wink

32 6,308
 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I just used up a Super Iridium blade, which is a pretty good blade. I think I like Personna Med Preps better, though.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
To me this is a stand off. I love the Super Iridiums but I think just as highly of the Personna Meds(Labs). At the moment I am using a Personna Lab in my Muhle R41 Rosegold 11' model with great results.

100 12,437