06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
hehe, IF my budget were unlimited AND I was determined that Straights would be part of my rotation... yes, Joe would be a top vendor for me to consider... the futuristic blades are awesome....

BTW Joe, if you do a knife, would you consider doing a knife/razor combo pack for those that could afford your art?

I know if I had the cash, I would buy a set just to have it! Cool

9 1,684
 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Been awhile, but I was busy with a move. Before moving and knowing that all my equipment had to go to storage I decided to try and get as much done as possible before.

My Mom's birthday was on the 4th and my parents came to help me pack, but before I decided to make my mom a knife for her birthday. I couldn't help but make myself one as well.

First time really trying a knife with thin starting stock (0.090"). The steel is 52100 which was a first for me as well in working with it.

I decided to make some Japanese style petty knives and aimed for about 155-160 mm for mine and 170mm for my moms.

Here are some pics of the blades after hardening and tempering. The top blade still has the scale on and the bottle has been ground to near finish. The handles are rough shaped and ready for hand sanding. Stabilized poplar burl/blue & black recon stone spacer and buffalo horn ferule on the top handle (moms). Stabilized walnut burl/yellow & Black recon stone spacer/ and buffalo horn ferule on the bottom handle (mine).

[Image: DSC_3403.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3407.jpg]

I aimed for a concave grind and thought it went pretty well for my first attempt at this with the concave grind extending 1/2-2/3 of the way up the blade.

Unfortunately on grinding my blade I got too thin towards the toe area and lost some of the profile. I finished off the blades with a forced mustard patina to protect them a little.

My knife looks a little better than the pics shown for the profile as I've shaped it a bit on a bester 1200 sharpening stone. Regardless, I actually left the edge at that level for mine and it preforms excellent - it is all I've been using for the past several weeks. My moms I took up to 3 um lapping film, but I actually think I like the toothier edge of mine better for use.

[Image: DSC_3410.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3412.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3413.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3415.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3416.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3418.jpg]

Really happy with how they came out. I stamped my mark a little too deep on both of them thinking I better leave room for the post heat treat grind. Someday, when I make stuff again I'll remember to not stamp so deep.

My mom loved hers and has been using it a lot as well.

11 185
 07-15-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
Holy skills!!! Is all I could think of.

Seriously, you just started with straight razors with no prior steel experience? That is some amazing stuff. The rear notch is definitely not my thing, but it sure adds something to the blade.

9 3,045
 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(07-15-2012, 07:08 PM)Edson Wrote: Been awhile, but I was busy with a move. Before moving and knowing that all my equipment had to go to storage I decided to try and get as much done as possible before.

My Mom's birthday was on the 4th and my parents came to help me pack, but before I decided to make my mom a knife for her birthday. I couldn't help but make myself one as well.

First time really trying a knife with thin starting stock (0.090"). The steel is 52100 which was a first for me as well in working with it.

I decided to make some Japanese style petty knives and aimed for about 155-160 mm for mine and 170mm for my moms.

Here are some pics of the blades after hardening and tempering. The top blade still has the scale on and the bottle has been ground to near finish. The handles are rough shaped and ready for hand sanding. Stabilized poplar burl/blue & black recon stone spacer and buffalo horn ferule on the top handle (moms). Stabilized walnut burl/yellow & Black recon stone spacer/ and buffalo horn ferule on the bottom handle (mine).

I aimed for a concave grind and thought it went pretty well for my first attempt at this with the concave grind extending 1/2-2/3 of the way up the blade.

Unfortunately on grinding my blade I got too thin towards the toe area and lost some of the profile. I finished off the blades with a forced mustard patina to protect them a little.

My knife looks a little better than the pics shown for the profile as I've shaped it a bit on a bester 1200 sharpening stone. Regardless, I actually left the edge at that level for mine and it preforms excellent - it is all I've been using for the past several weeks. My moms I took up to 3 um lapping film, but I actually think I like the toothier edge of mine better for use.

Really happy with how they came out. I stamped my mark a little too deep on both of them thinking I better leave room for the post heat treat grind. Someday, when I make stuff again I'll remember to not stamp so deep.

My mom loved hers and has been using it a lot as well.

Great stuff Edson!

I will be looking for you to produce stuff in the future Smile

Blessings for stability, so you can get back to your craft!

9 1,684