04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I had been having problems with inconsistent performance with the Feather Professional blades in my Cobra classic. Jerry (Slantman) sent me a PM offering the advice that the blades were very delicate and to be sure not to touch the sharp end or fiddle with them much when changing blades as they can dull very easily. Since receiving this advice, I have had no issues and am again enjoying excellent shaves from the Cobra/Feather pro combo.

Just something to keep in mind if you have been experiencing rough shaves with the Feather Professional blades.

45 16,278
 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's interesting Phil, and good news.

7 1,018
 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The jury is still out but so far, so good.

45 16,278
 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(04-10-2012, 08:33 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I had been having problems with inconsistent performance with the Feather Professional blades in my Cobra classic. Jerry (Slantman) sent me a PM offering the advice that the blades were very delicate and to be sure not to touch the sharp end or fiddle with them much when changing blades as they can dull very easily. Since receiving this advice, I have had no issues and am again enjoying excellent shaves from the Cobra/Feather pro combo.

Just something to keep in mind if you have been experiencing rough shaves with the Feather Professional blades.

What I do is to remove blade by the edge with a tweezer and place it on a sponge while I am cleaning razor.( by edge I mean the side not the sharp part)

6 1,913
 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have been alternating between a Feather Pro and a Kai Captain Titan Mild in my Cobra Classic and find the Kai is less delicate when handling. Maybe its the coating on the blade they use that protects the blade better. I am not sure. I also find the Kai slightly smoother. But I am not about to get rid of my pro blades as they are very sharp and give me at least ten great shaves.

100 12,437
 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Interesting. I've been "bitten" a couple of times with these blades so maybe this is the case.
Otherwise, they do give me about 10 shaves as well which is a miracle IMO because the most I can get from a Feather (and most other blades) in a regular DE is 3 shaves!
I do wish the blades were easier to change out but it's worth it in the end.
Thanks for the advice Phil!

I need to try the Kai's; even smoother would be amazing!

6 905
 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
Jerry, Phil, whatever you guys do, do not try palm stropping the blades. i tried that with one after i found it to be a bit dull after 5 shaves and it completely ruined the blade. It was pulling terribly after the stropping! It was a challenge trying to hold it while stropping, also.
i tend to agree with Jerry as the first 2 shaves can be very biting and then it just tempers down. i have been getting 12-15 shaves with most of the blades. i would love to try the Kai blades. Does anyone know where i can order some with shipping not being too expensive to Canada?
Thanks

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-11-2012, 01:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Jerry, Phil, whatever you guys do, do not try palm stropping the blades. i tried that with one after i found it to be a bit dull after 5 shaves and it completely ruined the blade. It was pulling terribly after the stropping! It was a challenge trying to hold it while stropping, also.
i tend to agree with Jerry as the first 2 shaves can be very biting and then it just tempers down. i have been getting 12-15 shaves with most of the blades. i would love to try the Kai blades. Does anyone know where i can order some with shipping not being too expensive to Canada?
Thanks

Try topnotchshears.com He sells the Kai blades. If you can call them direct and ask for Glen he might be able to give you a good deal. They are located in NYC.

100 12,437
 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I can say that the Kai pink technology blades are superior

1 265