05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
I received this last month from Tony and Vanessa.

Hello,

Just a note we have finally received a new shipment of Badger hair knots. We have been running behind the past few months and trying to play catch up. So if there were knots you were looking for, take a peek, hopefully they are in stock.

Coming next month hard to find HIGH MOUNTAIN WHITE BADGER HAIR KNOTS AND A SUPER FINEST, These new high end knots should be a real winner.

Also next month we are going to be stocking the white/black KABUKI makeup brush again.

Thank you for your patronage,

Tony & Vanessa

http://www.thegoldennib.com

Here is the updated link.

http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_p...e2fbf91c0b

1 2,827
 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I got this email as well. Very interesting, I wonder how they compare to Lees stock

35 1,732
 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM
User Info
They have revamped their Silvertip designations and the Finest designations as well.

1 2,827
 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
User Info
Very cool. I just received a new "extra hair" finest knot from them for a brush project yesterday and it is very nice. Perfect density and really nice hair.

63 2,128
 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
User Info
Looks like I need to make the drive, I still have one of Steve's handles I need to fill. I kind of miss when Tony ran the store out of his shop, it was cool going in and messing around.

0 652
 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gary

Thank you for sharing this information.

It will be interesting to begin hearing people's experiences with those new knots. I'm especially interested in their new 2-Band offerings...

If their new knots deliver favourably, then the prices look to be pretty reasonable.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
@Mike, the Finest XH knots are really nice. I just epoxied a 24mm XH fan in a nice WSP butterscotch handle and it is phenominal.

The HMW knots they picture look like silvertip banding to me.? Classic HMW tends to have a wide black band almost like a two band knot. I hope someone who gets one will chime in regarding the HMW knots.

63 2,128
 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
User Info
(05-15-2013, 11:56 AM)cessnabird Wrote: <snip>
The HMW knots they picture look like silvertip banding to me.? Classic HMW tends to have a wide black band almost like a two band knot. I hope someone who gets one will chime in regarding the HMW knots.

Me too! I almost dropped the hammer on one last night, but decided to wait until I read a few reviews.

32 6,308
 05-15-2013, 11:35 PM
User Info
(05-15-2013, 11:56 AM)cessnabird Wrote: Classic HMW tends to have a wide black band almost like a two band knot.

That is the defining visual characteristic of true HMW. Visually almost indistinguishable from certain grades of 2 band hair.

9 2,988
 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-15-2013, 11:56 AM)cessnabird Wrote: @Mike, the Finest XH knots are really nice. I just epoxied a 24mm XH fan in a nice WSP butterscotch handle and it is phenominal.

Hi Jeremy

That's good to hear Smile

Out of interest, did you get the new 24mm Super 2 Band Finest (I'm thinking not, as it's not a fan knot) or a 24mm Finest Badger Knot Fan XH or something else?

Would it be possible to share a photo or two showing off the shaving brush you've put together?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
User Info
How do the TGN knots compare to WD knots?

2 102
 05-16-2013, 11:05 PM
User Info
Mike, you are correct in that it is indeed the 24mm Finest fan XH knot, not one from the batch they just got in. This knot has the perfect blend of density, scrubby/soft tips and flowthru. It looks like a three band set at ~ 53mm but is finest. I purposely chose to NOT drill the pretty WSP handle any deeper as to keep this two band knot set at a higher loft to keep me happy. I am a three band guy and this knot performs like a two band with the face feel of a three band with lots of bloom and decent splay. Here are a few pictures I took for you of the brush and a few comparisons... The M&F to compare the handle style and the Jubilee to compare the knot shape/color.

[Image: KP56olo.jpg]

[Image: rzQgaYY.jpg]

(05-16-2013, 07:36 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(05-15-2013, 11:56 AM)cessnabird Wrote: @Mike, the Finest XH knots are really nice. I just epoxied a 24mm XH fan in a nice WSP butterscotch handle and it is phenominal.

Hi Jeremy

That's good to hear Smile

Out of interest, did you get the new 24mm Super 2 Band Finest (I'm thinking not, as it's not a fan knot) or a 24mm Finest Badger Knot Fan XH or something else?

Would it be possible to share a photo or two showing off the shaving brush you've put together?

Take care, Mike

63 2,128
 05-17-2013, 11:25 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-16-2013, 11:05 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Mike, you are correct in that it is indeed the 24mm Finest fan XH knot, not one from the batch they just got in. This knot has the perfect blend of density, scrubby/soft tips and flowthru. It looks like a three band set at ~ 53mm but is finest. I purposely chose to NOT drill the pretty WSP handle any deeper as to keep this two band knot set at a higher loft to keep me happy. I am a three band guy and this knot performs like a two band with the face feel of a three band with lots of bloom and decent splay. Here are a few pictures I took for you of the brush and a few comparisons... The M&F to compare the handle style and the Jubilee to compare the knot shape/color...

Hi Jeremy

Thank you for the photos Smile

Personally I've not used a The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest fan knot (I do like their 2-Band Finest Bulb XH knots), but I did install one in Freddy's Century USA Sterilized 4 shaving brush -- exact same size knot, at the same 53mm loft height as you installed in your WSP handle. I was impressed with the overall look and feel of their 2-Band Finest fan knot and Freddy has told me he is very! happy with the overall performance and looks of the knot.

I really like the looks of the brush you've put together and I must say, I don't think it looks out of place next to those two very! fine shaving brushes.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-17-2013, 06:54 PM
User Info
Thank you for the kind words. It is a great set up and it turned out better than anticipated. I was a bit anxious to try the TGN because all of my customs have been WSP knots, which I am familiar with in all grades. All in all it is a great brush and I recommend this knot type to anyone looking for a fan with great backbone and soft/scrubby tips.

63 2,128
 05-19-2013, 03:15 AM
User Info
On the subject of TGN knots, I'm thinking of building myself a brush, but the TGN's offerings are so extensive as to be confusing.

For instance, what are the differences between the "Silvertip Grade A," "Super Silvertip," "Premium Silvertip" and "Super Badger" ? These 4 premium silvertip knots are the same price within a dollar or two, and Tony's descriptions are virtually identical and not very, ehh . . . , descriptive.

Also, can anyone compare the standard silvertip knots with the best badger knots. Surprisingly, the a 22mm best badger knot is $3.00 more expensive that the silvertip.

Lastly, can anyone offer opinions on the "24mm Bristle Knot" and the "3 Band Nylon" knots?

Thank you.

0 386
 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
Their synthetic knots are quite good. Very soft tips and great backbone. They are like nothing found in nature with the sudden backbone, but if you can get your head around that they're good.

I only have one of their boar bristle knots and it's quite good. It doesn't splay as much as a Semogue, more like the English boars. That is to say the bristles stay close together and tower like. But I like my TGN boar, it's a fine brush/knot. They're not expensive, so try them. If you don't like it you can always sell it or reknot the handle.

32 6,308
 05-19-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
I have tried some of TGN's finest and three band knots and was never really satisfied. Then about a year ago I ordered a 24mm two band fan finest and had Rudy Vey make a bee hive handle for it. I set the loft at about 52mm as I like some flex and splay. This brush has amazed me at how good it is. Soft but still plenty of backbone, no scritch. I think it was an incredible value when I look at what I have spent on other brushes.

[Image: P1010963_zpsf3a5c40b.jpg]

41 471
 05-19-2013, 04:07 PM
User Info
That beehive looks sweet!

63 2,128
 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
User Info
(05-19-2013, 02:19 PM)AFG008 Wrote: I have tried some of TGN's finest and three band knots and was never really satisfied. Then about a year ago I ordered a 24mm two band fan finest and had Rudy Vey make a bee hive handle for it. I set the loft at about 52mm as I like some flex and splay. This brush has amazed me at how good it is. Soft but still plenty of backbone, no scritch. I think it was an incredible value when I look at what I have spent on other brushes.

[Image: P1010963_zpsf3a5c40b.jpg]

Rudy does excellent work. It looks great!

1 2,827