05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
Last week I had just popped a new Feather blade into the head of my Merkur 23c and fumbled it. Out of reflex I tried to catch it (big mistake), but ended up jamming it into the top of my left index finger just past the first knuckle. My bathroom looked like a crime scene. Anyone else out there with a smooth move story?

0 57
 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
User Info
OMG!! I can't say I've ever done that. Hope it all healed up OK.
So far the most blood I've drawn is on my face. I wasn't paying attention to my technique.
Glad you're ok though.

0 48
 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM
User Info
Never managed that, but I did try to pick up a Stanley knife by the wrong end once... amazing how much a deep cut in your palm can bleed.

3 3,580
 05-15-2013, 03:45 AM
User Info
Hanging Hair Test. New( to me) straight, honed, stropped, ready to go. Standing in front of my bathroom mirror, holding up a couple of hairs, your right! Right into my left index finger!!
Went for the image in the mirror and not the real one! Yes, the razor was sharp enough to shave with!

5 410
 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
While using my thumb to clean off a water spot on the head of my DE86 I discovered that: 1) You should always check to see if there is a blade loaded before you mess around with a razor, 2) The spot was too close to the blade space to clean safely while a blade was still installed, 3) In any meeting of soft flesh vs. sharp razor blade the razor blade will inevitably win.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
First time using a 3-piece razor (as opposed to TTO).
I grabbed the razor head by the short sides to tighten it down...
Who knew that the non-sharpened edges (tabs) of a razor blade could be so sharp! Scared

Thumb and index finger bloodbath. Now I always hold the razor against the counter when I tighten...

0 911
 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
Last month I was up late one friday night enjoying some quiet peace and quiet and decided that it would be fun to compare and contrast the side profile of some safety bar razors that all had similar, but not identical profiles. I thought that all of them were unloaded, but when I firmly picked up a RazoRock Little Bastogne firmly by the short side of the head, I discovered that it was very load.

The result was a deep gash to my index finger.

3 452
 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
On occasion, when I notice stubble stuck between the blade and razor, I instinctively reach down to wipe away the gunk. Yes, I actually followed through with this ONE time and lived to tell it. Confused

35 2,703
 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
(05-15-2013, 07:33 AM)bjorney Wrote: First time using a 3-piece razor (as opposed to TTO).
Who knew that the non-sharpened edges (tabs) of a razor blade could be so sharp! Scared

Thumb and index finger bloodbath. Now I always hold the razor against the counter when I tighten...

I did the same thing with a 3 piece Gillette Tech.Smiley_1140

Ed

19 697
 05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-15-2013, 09:46 AM)LookingGlass Wrote:
(05-15-2013, 07:33 AM)bjorney Wrote: First time using a 3-piece razor (as opposed to TTO).

I did the same thing with a 3 piece Gillette Tech.Smiley_1140

Ed
Mine was a Lord Tech-clone

0 911
 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
I tried getting the glue spots off my Astra SP blade a few months back by rubbing it off (bear in mind Id don it many times before with no problems) anyway while rubbing with my thumb in I pushed it to far forwards and when I pulled it back it was cut into by the blade deep and painful !!!!!!!!

1 68
 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
User Info
Good...I'm not the only one! My cut *looks* completely healed right now, but I bumped it today and found out that looks can indeed be deceiving.

0 57
 05-16-2013, 12:37 AM
User Info
I shave in the shower and change my blades in there from time to time so I've envisioned some nasty cuts but thus far I've been lucky. I have the blades with the glue spots though, that's an accident waiting to happen for us wet shavers with OCD issues!

1 50
 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The last time I used my CJB somehow the lather found its way onto the handle and I dropped it. Instincts had me reaching for it just enough to nick my thumb before my thought process caught up and let the razor fall to the counter and eventually the floor. Not much blood but a little flap of skin served as a reminder to just let it fall and replace the blade.

Since then I have moved on to my Sam Seong razor and the grip is much better so the CJB has been sent to the back of the cupboard for backup duty.

127 2,393
 06-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
To bad we didn't get a picture of this crime scene, I bet it looked just like something out of the TV show Dexter.

15 970
 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Mine was when I used my very first DE razor, a Slim adjustable - I did not know it was set wide open...(I didn't want to look stupid and ask what the numbers meant). My dad whipped up some lather from his mug Soap and helped me apply it. He asked if I needed help, (I was too smart for help)..I made my first north to south pass which went fine, then started on my jawline and suddenly sliced off about 1/4" wide by 1" of my jaw skin...It was so fast I didn't even feel it at first, but man did that sucker bleed!Sad My dad did a double-take and turned white...I was 18 and it was graduation day, June 17, 1985...

I pay VERY close attention to my technique on my jaw-line now...Biggrin

68 1,417