05-15-2013, 07:28 AM
User Info
For about the last week, I've been getting mediocre shaves (tugging, etc.) with shaving soaps that had previous delivered very good results. This includes La Toja, which gets high marks from many including me, and De Vergulde Hand, a real favorite of mine. Near as I can tell, my prep is the same, so maybe I'm hurrying the lathering process, or am getting my water/soap ratio wrong. Or maybe I'm rushing with the razor.

I'm sure I'll find my mojo, but it's interesting to me how much art there is to wetshaving.

Dave

7 138
 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM
User Info
David, I doubt if there's a member amongst us who hasn't gone through an "off" day but a week sounds extreme to me. I suppose it's easy to become complacent doing something day in and day out such as shaving, and something goes awry without even thinking about the procedure. Next shave, think back to basics and take your time. The quality shaves will return.

31 4,957
 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
I was having the same problem! It turned out for me it was the water to soap ratio that was needing to be tweaked. However this will vary with different soap brands.
Maybe you could try a different blade. I've found myself that some blades (that used to work really well in the past) starting to lose effectiveness. My personal favourites are Gillette blues or persona surgical prep

0 12
 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
User Info
Thanks, guys!
Dave

7 138
 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM
User Info
I've gone through this before. For me, it was just a matter of getting a little careless with my routine. Paying closer attention to both my lathering and razor technique seemed to remedy the situation.

2 129
 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
User Info
Come to think of it, I have been a bit rushed in the mornings and might be getting a little lax in my approach.

Dave

7 138
 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
Good advice!

I hope you back back in your groove soon!

32 6,308
 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Even though I've been doing this for 50+ years and believe I'm pretty knowledgeable on how to get a good shave, I still have these moments. Since retirement I don't have them as often for there is absolutely no reason for me to rush through anything.

173 23,493
 05-16-2013, 03:47 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
This happened to me this morning. It doesn't happen often but it happens. Take your time and the mental prep is half the battle. Waking up at 4 am doesn't help either. You will find your sweet spot again . Patience.

40 416
 05-16-2013, 03:49 AM
User Info
I find that I get a little lazy with the water....

Ed

19 697
 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM
User Info
Took a more relaxed approach this morning with La Toja, was more attentive to the water, etc. Much, much better!

Dave

7 138
 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
User Info
(05-15-2013, 07:28 AM)DavidB Wrote: For about the last week, I've been getting mediocre shaves (tugging, etc.) with shaving soaps that had previous delivered very good results. This includes La Toja, which gets high marks from many including me, and De Vergulde Hand, a real favorite of mine. Near as I can tell, my prep is the same, so maybe I'm hurrying the lathering process, or am getting my water/soap ratio wrong. Or maybe I'm rushing with the razor.

I'm sure I'll find my mojo, but it's interesting to me how much art there is to wetshaving.

Dave

May be it is your skin that wears as your post shaves treatment might not be moisturizing enough in the long run.
Sometimes it happens to me also. Try a good moiturizer at night that will heavily reload your skin and leave it nourished ready to go in the morning.
For instance an after sun product glycerin/shea butter/mineral oil based.

0 42
 05-17-2013, 02:49 AM
User Info
You are telling me...

It happens. Watch the phase of the moon...

0 189
 11-18-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
I don't think I've had a bunch of bad shaves in a row, but I did go through a patch of disappointing shaves involving nicks; seemed like I had to choose between mediochre closeness with no nicks, or a DFS with a few nicks. Of course I felt I had to fix this untenable situation, and I read all the shave blogs in a relentless search for the answer.
I stumbled across a post here on the nook regarding the relationship between finishing every shave with an alum block and its ability to make your face easier to shave. It sounded a bit daft; aren't alum blocks just to treat weepers and nicks?
Anyway, I decided to make a change in my shave routine, and finish every shave with the alum. After a few days I began to notice what this guy had posted: my beard seemed to become more easily shaveable, and I stopped getting nicks! Maybe it's a placebo effect, and my daft shaving mind just wanted it to be true - I don't know. I do know that I have kept this routine going, and my shaves are much more dependable now.

Wish fulfillment? Perhaps.
Euro

5 394