05-15-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
After I switched to using a single blade - even if it has two edges - I've been somewhat puzzled as to why you would need 2, 3 or 8 blades. Recently I found this drawing which offer an explanation:

[Image: Bizarro-Razor.jpg]

3 3,575
 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Perfect explanation. 24

2 11,211
 05-16-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
Great find Hans! Thanks for sharing.

129 6,685
 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM
User Info
I'm sorry Hans,but I must disagree with you,I use a Gillette Mach 3,and the reason I do is because IMHO they give a damn sight better shave than ANY of your (not you personally) "old fashioned" razors.
I have used D/E razors,they are NOT for me,they take FAR too long to get a decent shave,as I say that's my opinion.
Thanks.
Sam.

0 79
 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-15-2013, 10:41 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: After I switched to using a single blade - even if it has two edges - I've been somewhat puzzled as to why you would need 2, 3 or 8 blades. Recently I found this drawing which offer an explanation:

I like it. Only thing I disagree with is the order of the list. Everything should be reversed. Executes whiskers should be the top blade since it is the last one to make contact.

173 23,535
 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
in the next series, the 9th blade will read the eulogy ! Sad

0 1,291
 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
(05-16-2013, 05:04 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-15-2013, 10:41 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: After I switched to using a single blade - even if it has two edges - I've been somewhat puzzled as to why you would need 2, 3 or 8 blades. Recently I found this drawing which offer an explanation:

I like it. Only thing I disagree with is the order of the list. Everything should be reversed. Executes whiskers should be the top blade since it is the last one to make contact.

Maybe the cartoon takes place in Texas. Biggrin

129 6,685
 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Hans! Laughing1 The grippy handle pictured allows for firm and unyielding punishment!

102 17,668
 05-17-2013, 12:56 AM
User Info
I honestly think YOU are ALL living in denial if you think for ONE second that ANY "old fashioned" yes "old fashioned" style razor gets anywhere near the speed and quality of a Gillette,(other companies products are available,please don't think I have a fixation with Gillette.)the old style razors don't even "sit" in the hand comfortably,many times they feel un-balanced (there is now going to be endless posts about how I don't know what I'm talking about,but I can only speak as I find,at least keep it civil.)
You don't take the piss out of modern medical advances,but you all have a laugh at modern advances in shaving,strange that.? Let's all go back to Polio,T.B.and Rickets,eh?.
Geordie Sam.
ps. Oh, and one other thing,why did people "back in the day" often have beards?,because shaving was such an uncomfortable pain in the "arse" (face).
Thank you,and goodnight.(you may not like it,but you ALL know the Geordie speaks the truth.)

0 79
 05-17-2013, 05:01 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Sam, if you choose to use expensive cartridges, then go for it and enjoy the shaves. And the blocked up gaps between the blades. And spending all that money. If that's what you enjoy, well, perhaps a good compromise would be using an R41 $33 from Connaught (and it will last forever) and then flush 10 pound notes down the toilet as fast as you possibly can.

0 1,624
 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
User Info
(05-17-2013, 12:56 AM)geordie sam Wrote: ps. Oh, and one other thing,why did people "back in the day" often have beards?,because shaving was such an uncomfortable pain in the "arse" (face).

Well, the same can be said today.
Nowadays, I see much and much more men with beards... much more than some years ago. Fashion trend? I don't think so.

2 5,532
 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
User Info
Don't get your panties in a twist Geordie Tongue

The first sad fact is that modern razors and cartridges are designed first and foremost to line the pockets of the businesses selling them - in that regards it's no different from Gillette's first DE razor. They only introduced cartridges to lure the buyer into heir walled garden again, after loosing marked shares to others who manufactured blades to their by-then expired patents.

The other sad fact is that 'innovation' and 'improvement' in cartridges these days usually boils down to "add another blade" and "make it vibrate"... there is a large and vocal subset of shavers who believe that the one and two blade cartridges beats the newer ones hands down.

YMMV and enjoy your shaves, but I'll never go back to paying more for a worse shave - which usually took me longer if you add in the time to deal with nicks, missed areas and shavebumps... In the meantime, I'll chuckle at a drawing making a funny explanation of what all those blades are for Smile

3 3,575
 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Right,I better roll up my sleeves for this one.
You first Shaun, I use something called "razorpit," it keeps my blade in tip-top condition for up to 4-5 months before I need to change blades,it acts almost like a strop.
Emanuel,the recent explosion in men with beards IS EXACTLY because it HAS become a fashion trend,it has nothing to do with getting an uncomfortable shave like it used to be.
Hans,you next,I TOTALLY agree that the likes of Gillette rip the customer off,with endless so called improvements,(we all know it's just to part us from our money)but I have had my Mach 3 now,for years and refuse to change to their "latest,improved" model,we all know it's total "bollocks".
As regards these modern razors taking you longer to get a shave,well my friend, all I can say is, "that's a new one on me",I find I am much faster with a "cartridge" than I have EVER been with an "old style" razor.
Anyway,I have enjoyed our "little" debate,oh,before I forget,I wear nice little "lacie" panties,in case your interested,they don't normally get twisted very easily.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
User Info
Geordie,

Well I think personal grooming is a very personal item and one of the greatest YMMV items.

I shaved for years with a Mach 3 and then eventually an electric. Both gave me way too much ingrown hairs to be comfortable so I shaved as little as possible. The best multiblade experience I ever had was a trac 2 (I think that was it) a simple two blade model. I came back to as you call it "old fashioned" shaving a little over two years ago, and have not had ingrown hairs since. For *me* this works and I shave every day again.

For some, a can of barbasol and a mach 3 provides a good fast shave. If that works for you, then that's what's best for you. For those of use for which it does not work, I don't think there is anything wrong with an "old fashioned" shave if that is what gives us the best results, or what gives us inner satisfaction. For some with very busy lives, that 15 minutes locked in the bathroom alone can be a godsend.

This was a thread meant to be humorous. Can we try to get back on track with that? Even you admit Gillette keeps adding blades to make more money ...... that's what the cartoon is about .......

129 6,685
 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just have this to say. The words fast and shave should not go together, no matter what equipment you use.

Relax, enjoy, meditate, pamper.

Well I will say one more thing on the subject. In my 50+ years of shaving I have never used canned foam/gel, or a multi-blade razor, nor an electric. And, I can count the bad shaves on one hand.

Carry on.

173 23,535
 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
Hear! Hear! Johnny! I was just going to write that. I think I will, sort of, anyway. I just wish I had come to my senses long ago.

My shave time is "me time". It's time for exactly what Johnny wrote. Speed up my shave? No thanks. Take more time? No thanks, it perfect just the way it is. Plus I get a BBS with no ingrowns, I could never do that with a cartridge. Plus the experience is so enjoyable now (no more clogged cartridges either) that I do it every day. When I used carts it was every 3-4 days because it was a chore.

Now that I'm retired I no longer need to look my best, yet I do; for myself and the wife. OK the shave experience doesn't hurt either. When I worked I looked like something the cat dragged in, all bewhiskered. I was clean, but the whiskered face surely camoflaged the fact of the cleanliness.

In the past I'd look for a fast shave. I was in a hurry to rush off in search of a possible great experience elsewhere. Now my first great experience of the day (proven, not potential) is my shave so there's no longer any need to hurry off in search of a potential one.

32 6,309
 05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Love that cartoon - too bad it's not too far from reality! Tongue

35 2,703
 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
Wingdo,(Doug)15 minutes to have a shave? I can think of a lot of things I'd sooner be doing for 15 minutes than having a shave. (and none of them are to do with sex)
Johnny,pamper,? I'm 52 years of age,I have NEVER "pampered" myself,I'm a Geordie for Gods sake,we DON'T pamper.
ShadowsDad, (Brian)If you allow your razor to become "clogged" there is only one person to blame,and it isn't Mr Gillette.
I see no one has covered the "sits uncomfortably" in the hand part,that's because most of them do.
I am NOT responding trying to be a pain in the arse,or ruffle feathers,I genuinely mean what I'm saying.I also think far too much is made of having a bloody shave.
Your a long time DEAD,get out there and enjoy life,stop spending so much time looking at the same old face in the same old bloody mirror.
Thanks again.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
Geordie Sam,

One question for you if I may .......

You are on a forum dedicated to "Traditional Wet Shaving" ..... Even the bloody logo says that.....

Why are you here? This is a forum for people who actually "enjoy" something you do not ...... Why are you here? ..... Find a forum for a hobby you enjoy and visit there. Stop trolling here. Yes, 15 minutes out of every day I dedicate to something I find peaceful and enjoyable.

129 6,685