04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
what blades do you recommend for someone with a coarse beard?

I tried using a DE for a few months, but never had much success with it (probably due to technique), went straight into injectors, and now want to give the DE a try again because I have a bunch of DE blades left and have a tech razor headed my way, courtesy of John.

40 5,830
 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Andrew,

I use Astra SP (green pack) and Gillette Bleue Extras about 95% of the time and I have a pretty dense/coarse beard. Love them both. Happy to send you some of each if you want to try 'em out. Not sure how you're fixed on DEs, but I also have a few recommendations and can send you a loaner if needed.

35 2,703
 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I really like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Dark Blue) and the Personna Medical Prep blades, among others.

2 11,211
 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
I have a very coarse beard with sensitive skin and I have settled on Astra SP blades. I have tried several others but these work the best for me.

10 173
 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
(04-10-2012, 02:39 PM)texbilly Wrote: Andrew,

I use Astra SP (green pack) and Gillette Bleue Extras about 95% of the time and I have a pretty dense/coarse beard. Love them both. Happy to send you some of each if you want to try 'em out. Not sure how you're fixed on DEs, but I also have a few recommendations and can send you a loaner if needed.

I'll check my DE blade stash when I get home from work and report what I have.

as for DE razors that I have, I'll only have the Gillette Tech that John is sending me from a PIF he was offering.

(04-10-2012, 02:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I really like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Dark Blue) and the Personna Medical Prep blades, among others.

I think I have some of those blades that Phil sent to me when I purchased some shaving cream from him a while ago. I'll check tonight and report back.

(04-10-2012, 02:58 PM)J_Rock Wrote: I have a very coarse beard with sensitive skin and I have settled on Astra SP blades. I have tried several others but these work the best for me.

are these the same blades that Billy mentioned in his earlier reply?

40 5,830
 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
User Info
Andrew I've found that a mild razor (That'd be a Tech for sure) and anything other than one of the ultra sharp blades to be frustrating. Think Med Prep, Iridium, 7:00 Yellow (or any blade made in St.Petersburg), Feather, and there are others. Any blade not acknowledged to be ultra sharp by the majority, just don't bother with.

If that doesn't work don't blame DE, blame the mild razor. But if you learn the basics with a mild razor you can use any razor later on.

32 6,311
 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm suggesting this blade to everyone right now but I think it's especially a great choice for a beginner DE shaver. The Gillette Minora blade. Not well known, the only place I've seen that sells it is West Coast. I have had nothing but my very best shaves with them they are super smooth.

45 3,955
 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
I find most of the Egyptian and Indian made blades very good. Heck most blades made now are decent.

2 697
 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
I have a very coarse beard myself, and sharper blades serve me much better than milder.

Astra SP are okay, as are yellow Gillette, but I'd lean towards blue Gillettes, Astra SS (I prefer them to the SP, finding them sharper), carbon steel blades like Treet, and even infamously sharp blades like Feathers.

Be sure to soak your beard before shaving, and consider a pre-shave, and replacing the blade after a lot less shaves than most guys ( I pitch blades after a single shave, usually, though you may find some work 2, or even 3 depending.)

YMMV like anything, of course.

1 189
 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
I loved feathers for years, but my new favourite is Super Iridiums, I use them sparingly

39 694
 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
(04-10-2012, 07:25 PM)jordy Wrote: I loved feathers for years, but my new favourite is Super Iridiums, I use them sparingly

I love the SIs too. Have you tried a Polsilver? I find them very close to a SI blade.

9 1,199
 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
User Info
Here's my blade list:

Shark Super Chrome
Ladas Super Stainless
Voskhod Teflon Coated
Astra Super Platinum (olive green color runs across the bottom of the package)
Bic (unsure of the actual type as I only have a single blade)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (the box is dark blue with white shadowing in the middle)
Rapira Swedish SuperSteel
Gillette 365
Lord Platinum
Dorco ST301 (orange and white blade cover)
Feather
Crown Super Stainless
Derby Extra
Polsilver
Super Platinum (doesn't say anything else of the blade cover; has stars that run down the center of the cover)
Lord Super Stainless
Racer Super Stainless
Treet Classic - Carbon Steel
Super Iridiums (fakes)

40 5,830
 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
User Info
PM me your address and I'll send some blades after I go through my test data of the top blades in my Tech and SuperSpeeds.

I'll post what I'm sending here so that if anyone else decides to do the same we won't have duplicates.

32 6,311
 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM
User Info
(04-10-2012, 10:30 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: PM me your address and I'll send some blades after I go through my test data of the top blades in my Tech and SuperSpeeds.

I'll post what I'm sending here so that if anyone else decides to do the same we won't have duplicates.

sent my address.

thanks for that!

40 5,830
 04-11-2012, 03:20 AM
User Info
My top 3

Super Iridium, Feather Hi-Stainless, Astra Superior Platinum

PM sent

29 1,731
 04-11-2012, 04:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-10-2012, 08:49 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Here's my blade list:

Shark Super Chrome
Ladas Super Stainless
Voskhod Teflon Coated
Astra Super Platinum (olive green color runs across the bottom of the package)
Bic (unsure of the actual type as I only have a single blade)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (the box is dark blue with white shadowing in the middle)
Rapira Swedish SuperSteel
Gillette 365
Lord Platinum
Dorco ST301 (orange and white blade cover)
Feather
Crown Super Stainless
Derby Extra
Polsilver
Super Platinum (doesn't say anything else of the blade cover; has stars that run down the center of the cover)
Lord Super Stainless
Racer Super Stainless
Treet Classic - Carbon Steel
Super Iridiums (fakes)

I use this one in every DE razor I have. Sharp and smooth.

173 23,553
 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
Andrew,
What a loaded question. As you see, you are getting so many varying answers. All good suggestions. i see that the Gillette Yellows have not been mentioned. i am finding them to be excellent with a Gillette old type open comb, but not in some of my other DEs. Mixing and matching!
Good luck.

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
As others have chimed in Astra is a good choice.
7 o' clock Blue
7 A.M.
Treet
Asco
Topaz
Super Max

1 3,507
 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
He has

Gillette Yellows
Med Preps
SuperMax
Bluebird
Gillette blacks
Gillette Greens

and maybe one or 2 more that I can't remember offhand headed his way. I went through my test data and just started pulling the sharpest blades that worked with a Tech for me.

Andrew the Treets you have would be another good blade, but they are carbon steel and require maintenance after the shave since they'll rust. Anyway, you have plenty of blades to try until mine get to you.

32 6,311
 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: He has

Gillette Yellows
Med Preps
SuperMax
Bluebird
Gillette blacks
Gillette Greens

and maybe one or 2 more that I can't remember offhand headed his way. I went through my test data and just started pulling the sharpest blades that worked with a Tech for me.

Andrew the Treets you have would be another good blade, but they are carbon steel and require maintenance after the shave since they'll rust. Anyway, you have plenty of blades to try until mine get to you.

thanks for sending me some blades!

what kind of maintenance? just wiping them off?

40 5,830