05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,PLEASE read this.
It is 70 years since the Dambusters raid.Of the 133 men who went on it 53 were killed,an attrition rate of nearly 40%.
Of those killed, 13 were Canadian, 2 were Australian,the rest were British.
For every 100 Airmen who joined Bomber Command,45 would be killed,6 would be seriously wounded,8 would become pow's.
These numbers are TRULY STAGGERING.And to think some people thought (wrongly) that the "fly boys" had it easy.
I say thank you to ALL of them,they are old men now,those that are left,but I say again thank you.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
adding my thanks to those tough, ol' birds. My Dad was "over there", too. Almost froze his feet off and they were getting ready to take `em both off. They were in summer uniforms during the coldest winter on record in 100 years. Then he stopped a rifle bullet
outside of Bastogne. He survived having a couple of half-tracks shot out from underneath him. Several uncles were in the thick of things, also. Another uncle was a wing commander in 8th Army Air Corps, at one point, had logged the most mission hours in the ETO, long after he was supposed to rotate out, before piling up on landing a B-17 that was all shot to pieces. Nope, none of 'em had it easy.

0 1,291
 05-17-2013, 09:24 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
User Info
Great post Mike,thanks.
Sam.

0 79