05-17-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
This review is recovered from the old review section for archival reasons

This actually is a gravy boat, designed to keep your meat gravy warm on the dining table.  But after reading about it somewhere on one of the forums, I picked one up and started to use it as a brush scuttle, soaking my badger brush hair in it for 2 minutes or so while I microwave the water in my regular scuttle for lathering.  It has a small water reservoir and does not retain heat very well, but it doesn't need to do so, since it only is used for a couple minutes.  It has clean lines and no major visible flaws or defects, and it really doesn't look bad sitting on a shelf in my bathroom.  For its purpose it does very well indeed, and its price - less than $8, I believe, at World Market - makes it nearly irresistible.  Just another little item that makes shaving more pleasurable.
[Image: IMG_2149.JPG]

183 12,002
 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review. I have the same scuttle from World Market and also feel its too small for mixing shave cream but ideal for a brush warmer.

100 12,437
 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the review, John. I have this little gem as well and it really does serve well as a brush soaker/warmer. I've also had reasonable success keeping my lathered brush warm between passes but as you stated, the temp retention does limit how long it can be used in that way.

35 2,703
 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I do remember reading about this somewhere. What a great idea. Thanks for the review!

45 16,278
 11-08-2014, 10:53 AM
User Info
I got slantman's and use it with every shave to soak and keep brush warm. its size, cost and clean look all works for me.

55 958