04-10-2012, 06:24 PM
User Info
With all the various Bible translation on the market today, (KJV, NIV, NLT, ESV, TNIV, LIFE, NASB, the Message, etc...) I'm just curious as to what version most people prefer. Personally, I'm an NIV man, but will sometimes pull out the KJV when I'm feeling hardcore studious.

Also, any recommendations for new believers? My Brother-in-law is going through some suffering times and I'd like to find him a Bible to not only grant him comfort, but one he will actually read. (FWIW: Brother-in-law is dual citizenship Japanese/American, if that matters.)

Thanks Gents!

Oh, and he is a recently converted wet-shaver! Smile

Forgot to add: if this is in poor taste or uncouth, I grant my permission to have this post deleted without any offense taken.

1 94
 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
When we joined our church we met with the Pastor several times. The which version of the Bible question came up & he explained why he always studies & preaches from the KJV. They recommend all members use KJV so we stay on the same page. The newer translations are taking some pretty important things out in the name of making it easier to understand. The problem is that these changes tend to take away the proper significance & can even change the meaning. So while I'm a KJV person I'd say it also may be important what others around him are using so that it may be an easier transition for him. I wish I had more Bible knowledge to give you a better answer but all I can say is I'm confident that I'll be using KJV only from now on.

31 7,912
 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
User Info
Well, he's somewhat high energy, ADHD type, so I doubt he'd have the patience for a KJV version. His father had just recently took his own life, so something that is easier to read, follow, and soak in the word, the better. His wife, my Sister, uses a Catholic bible, so again I'm worried this is something he'd be reluctant to pick up.

1 94
 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
You are absolutely good to go with a thought for thought translation, much easier to digest.. personally I like my HCSB because it has the flexibility of reading NIV AND has much of the sound translation principles of NASB.

ESV also reads well
and of Course the Good News version is pretty neat too. The Good News version is a variant that was used for the movie The Gospel of John, released a few years back... very easy to follow.

do you feel lead to give him a bible, at this time?
or do you feel more lead to walk beside him?

I try to gauge bible giving based on my relationship with a person. In my experience, I have built better bonds with friends by listening and providing feedback for the individual... hey! perhaps watching the Gospel of John with him would be a great starting point, because you can always pause the dvd!

Blessings to you both on this journey!

(04-10-2012, 06:24 PM)dashmaverick Wrote: With all the various Bible translation on the market today, (KJV, NIV, NLT, ESV, TNIV, LIFE, NASB, the Message, etc...) I'm just curious as to what version most people prefer. Personally, I'm an NIV man, but will sometimes pull out the KJV when I'm feeling hardcore studious.

Also, any recommendations for new believers? My Brother-in-law is going through some suffering times and I'd like to find him a Bible to not only grant him comfort, but one he will actually read. (FWIW: Brother-in-law is dual citizenship Japanese/American, if that matters.)

Thanks Gents!

Oh, and he is a recently converted wet-shaver! Smile

Forgot to add: if this is in poor taste or uncouth, I grant my permission to have this post deleted without any offense taken.

9 1,684
 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
ESV, English Standard Version. Closer to everything that is in the KJV and you can read it.

Our church was using the NIV but according to our preacher the latest version of the NIV really made some drastic changes, so we switched over to the ESV about two years ago.

I have a copy of almost every version out there for when I want to do some cross checking.

173 23,483
 04-10-2012, 11:38 PM
User Info
Well, very bad subject IMO. It's maybe worse than politics. But you asked.

KJV. If you're looking for hand holding and just feeding milk with no meat any version will do. But if you want to return to the original writings the KJV has the Strongs Concordance and one can go back to the Hebrew or Chaldee to find out what was written and meant through Strongs Exhaustive Concordance. Translations are the pits otherwise.

I've used other versions and they were so bad as to not know who was speaking during the temptation on the mountain. It's pretty bad when a supposed "bible" can't differentiate between the MESSIAH and satan. But a new copyright makes money and the old version doesn't. Figure it out for yourself. I threw all of my "other" translations in the trash and burned them myself.

The other item I can suggest is a Youngs Interlinear Bible with KJV text and the original text and literal translation also applied line by line. They are expensive though.

A less expensive way to get all of those is to buy a "PC Study Bible". The version I have is many years old, but I have no doubt there are versions for other PC operating systems today. There are other computer Bibles but many are there for gloss only and for the copyright (OK, profit, there I said it!). OK, that's my opinion, but there is a difference between milk and meat and meat is very lacking today. One only wants milk for so long and then turns away from the teat. There had better be something substantial there when that happens.

FWIW I even use the 1611 KJV for the introduction that explains why the translation isn't to be trusted. It was later cut from other editions.

If you don't go with the KJV the Farrar Fenton version is Ok, but it has no concordence and that's the pits. I use it along with the KJV, not instead of.

A pre politically correct Strongs Concordence can be had from Shepherds Chapel (or used to be had- I don't know anymore). The ones I find on the book shelves today have been altered for PC. That's all I'll say on the subject.

My physical study Bible, other than the PC Study Bible for Windows is The Companion Bible published by Kregel. It is the KJV and also has appendices (by Bullinger) for further study yet doesn't give mans interpretation, but allows the HOLY SPIRIT to teach. It's much more than that but I'll let you discover it. That's also available through Shepherds Chapel. But you have the publisher so you don't need to go through them if you don't wish to. Be very cautious about bibles with mans interpretation and shun them like the plague IMO.

If you're looking for a home study bible course, an affordible one was available from The American Institute of Theology for a reasonable price. A person who is driven to complete it will have a basic understanding of the Bible. I reccommend it. It's another non-PC course. But the last I heard the ALMIGHTY doesn't care one iota about human PC. The last I heard HE was above that. When I took it it was about $100 and worth far more than that, but it's completely student driven. After it's paid for they don't push you to complete it. Every student has free will.

32 6,308
 04-11-2012, 04:54 AM
User Info
Like GIJAMES I will put a plug in for the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible). They had over 100 scholars pour over the original Hebrew, Greek and Latin texts with the updated understanding of the ancient languages to make it as accurate as possible and very easy to read IMHO. I would also recommend the Criswell study Bible if you can find one. While that translation is KJV his commentaries are far beyond anything I have seen in current production. Good luck and we will keep him in our prayers.

2 87
 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-11-2012, 04:54 AM)Ga Shooter Wrote: Like GIJAMES I will put a plug in for the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible). They had over 100 scholars pour over the original Hebrew, Greek and Latin texts with the updated understanding of the ancient languages to make it as accurate as possible and very easy to read IMHO. I would also recommend the Criswell study Bible if you can find one. While that translation is KJV his commentaries are far beyond anything I have seen in current production. Good luck and we will keep him in our prayers.

Many, many years ago when I lived in Dallas, W.A. Criswell was my pastor. He was quite the gentleman. Larger than life standing there in his white suit. The man could preach.

173 23,483
 04-11-2012, 06:01 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I like to use a number of different Bibles in order to gain different insights in translation (given that no one version is a complete translation in itself; the KJV has it's problems along with every other version).

My preferences are:

ESV
NASB
NRSV
KJV
NIV

I do like to look at a Catholic Bible from time-to-time (as I was brought up a Catholic before becoming a Methodist) and will often use NABRE or a Douay-Rheims for this purpose.

I also find an Interlinear Bible to be very useful from time to time.

I dip into other versions such as NLT, GW and AMP from time to time as well.

I do really struggle with the Message though.

32 638
 04-11-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 06:01 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I like to use a number of different Bibles in order to gain different insights in translation (given that no one version is a complete translation in itself; the KJV has it's problems along with every other version).

My preferences are:

ESV
NASB
NRSV
KJV
NIV

I do like to look at a Catholic Bible from time-to-time (as I was brought up a Catholic before becoming a Methodist) and will often use NABRE or a Douay-Rheims for this purpose.

I also find an Interlinear Bible to be very useful from time to time.

I dip into other versions such as NLT, GW and AMP from time to time as well.

I do really struggle with the Message though.

Perhaps all those versions are creating confusion for you? I'd also be curious to hear what you think are the problems with the KJV. Actually, if you'll PM me the answer to that question it would probably be better. As SD said, this topic could easily be worse than discussing politics.

Bottom line... Jesus. Get to know him and have a relationship with him. It's not about religion. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in your study of the Bible.

31 7,912
 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree this could go the wrong direction if we are not careful, but I will answer your question as to my problem with the KJV. And that is, it was written in King James english. It is a translation, written by scholors hundreds of years ago. To bad they did not have the technology that we have today. Bottom line, we don't talk like that anymore, not even in England.

Which bible one uses is kind of like which razor one uses, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.

The bottom line as you stated, is the bottom line and that is what's important.

173 23,483
 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 06:01 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I do really struggle with the Message though.

I bought a Message Bible some months back thinking it would make a great "reading Bible", but I too find myself struggling with it.

1 94
 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
My personal study Bible is a New KJV, specifically John Macarthur's Study Bible, but, as with everything, YMMV. My wife uses an ESV, along with the pastor of our church.

1 223
 04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I use both the NIV and English Standard.
I would like to get either a message or living translation also.

1 3,507
 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There is nothing wrong discussing the Bible here. To date there are no confirmed killings between tallow and vegetable based soap users so a minor point like bibles is bereft of real passion among this lot.
The impact of the Bible on world literature and thought is incalculable. An educated person should be no less literate in it than the Mahabaratta if visiting India.
To this end the KJV is undeniably the most lyric and referenced.
The Bible is also a work in progress. Many books were selected to make up the Old Testament and New and others (known as the apocrypha)omitted. One of the oldest is the septuagint; a greek text used by egyptian jews and early christians alike. This is the version often used by orthodox ( but not always)
It is a work in progress, because modern biblical archaeology continues to shed light on the events;real and parable from their time and meaning to ours along with the continued revelations of God's works and wonders.
If one adhers to 'Sola Scriptura' the very real danger of not balancing the written word with prayer and a living testament can make any version in danger of becoming mere menu and not the meal.

2 3,166
 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I also have copies of pretty much all of them. Our pew bibles are the "early" (1984) NIVs, so that's what I preach from most of the time. I also like the HCSB. Because of my age, pretty much every verse I memorized as a kid, I memorized in King James. When it comes to the poetry (S-o-Solomon, Psalms, etc.) you just can't beat the King James. If you're looking for an "easy reading" bible, I like the New Living Translation better than the Message or the old Living Bible. Today we have the luxury of "road testing" them online. At sites like "biblegateway.com" you can read dozens of them to see which one you like. I understand why some folks only accept the King James. I understand some of the problems other people have with it.
I'm proud of us for behaving so well so far here!

0 270
 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(04-11-2012, 06:08 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Perhaps all those versions are creating confusion for you? I'd also be curious to hear what you think are the problems with the KJV. Actually, if you'll PM me the answer to that question it would probably be better. As SD said, this topic could easily be worse than discussing politics.

Bottom line... Jesus. Get to know him and have a relationship with him. It's not about religion. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in your study of the Bible.

There's no confusion at all.

I find it interesting that each version differs slightly from other versions and this helps to give me a broader understanding of the text as every version has it's limitations and different emphasis in translation (this is what I was alluding to in relation to KJV; it also applies to every other version of the Bible as far as I am aware).

I am fascinated as to how certain Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic words can be translated in different ways and how we often miss the nuances originally intended based upon the original words used (I don't speak Hebrew, Aramiac or Greek so need to rely both upon different versions of the translation of scripture and guidance and insight from people I know who do speak Hebrew and Greek in order to help me to seek out the true meaning of the word of God).

I'm totally with you in what you say about a relationship with Jesus being the important thing and letting the Holy Spirit be the guide in all things spiritual and scriptural. Smile

32 638
 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
As I've said earlier I'm not a Bible scholar so please feel free to correct anything if needed. I've been shown that some of the newer translations are removing important things like the blood and the virgin birth. Those are 2 pretty important things that I don't see how any book professing to be a Bible of Christianity could remove.

It's typically easier to mislead someone by giving them a "better" version of something they already believe rather than telling them that what they believe is wrong. Then over time they start to believe differently. It's a subtle and dangerous attack from our enemy, which we all share.

31 7,912
 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The ultimate condensed Bible for people 'on the go' according to Mother Superior Olga of my Russian Orthodox church
A. God created the world and loves you.
B. Be good

2 3,166
 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
User Info
Wow, I'm surprised by the number of responses this post has spawned.

I'm mainly concerned about my Brother-in-law and the horrific loss of his father. He is a recent new believer, so I'm looking for suggestions, from you Gents, about which translation would suit him, or any new believer, best.

It would mean so much to me if you would include him in your prayers. They are still over in Tokyo, at the moment, so a prayer for a safe flight back can't hurt either.

Thanks Smile

1 94