05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
User Info
Recently I haven't been making the best coffee. The beans at home were decent but a bit stale, and the cheap electric blade grinder was inconsistent at best.

My dear brother recently came back from a trip to South America and was kind enough to send me some quality beans and I decided it was time to improve my coffee game.

Step 1:
[Image: SmA7OoX.jpg]

A Hario Skerton manual burr grinder. If you want something fairly bullet-proof that can handle coarse or fine grinds without breaking a sweat or the bank, this is the unit you want. I set it to 'fine grind' and it made a very consistent, espresso-grade grind. Plus you get a small workout Cool That being said, if you brew a lot of coffee, just go electric.

Step 2:
[Image: RQKT2XV.jpg]

I've been a French Press man for years but I've gotten a bit tired of cleaning it, since it's very easy for grinds to get into the mesh and very hard to get them out. After hearing a lot about the Aeropress, I decided to give it a try.

It's a pretty neat device. You put the larger shell of plastic (bottom in the pic) on top of a mug, adding some finely ground coffee. You then add water, mix and wait a bit, then use a plunger (top in the pic) to slowly press the water through the filter. All this takes under a minute, and you end up with what is best described as concentrated coffee. If you like espresso, drink up! (Note this isn't proper espresso but I thought it was pretty close.) If you like regular coffee, add some hot water. If you like lattes - you get the picture.

Cleanup is trivial, it consists of rinsing off some plastic pieces. The coffee grinds - because they are fine and have been compressed with air - come out as a disc that's easy to toss into the compost pile.

Anyway - I ended up with a nice "espresso" (no need for sugar even) and minimal clean-up work.

12 1,243
 05-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
neat setup !

0 1,291
 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
Awesome idea. I use a french press and understand the grounds thing totally. I'll have to investigate this. I love lattes so concentrated coffee is what I go for.

129 6,685
 05-18-2013, 01:11 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The Aeropress looks intriguing.

2 11,211
 05-18-2013, 01:46 PM
User Info
Nice setup. But, for me, the espresso is this:

[Image: slide6.jpg]
Cool

0 128
 05-19-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
Yes it is. However, the Aeropress does make a nice cup of strong coffee with minimal fuss.
(05-18-2013, 01:46 PM)MrDentini Wrote: Nice setup. But, for me, the espresso is this:

Cool

15 762
 05-19-2013, 03:21 PM
User Info
Hi lads,can you Americans please enlighten me,as a Brit my mainstay hot drink is tea,you can drink it with any meal,apart from a sunday roast type dinner.
To my mind the same can't be said about coffee,I love a cup of coffee first thing in the morning,but I can't see it going with the likes of steak and chips,or bacon and eggs,sweet things like pancakes, yes,but can it go very well with savoury type meals.?
Plus before de-caf was invented the American people must have been awake all night.
Please advise.
Sam.

0 79
 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Hi Sam. Honestly, it's just a cultural difference and not a great one at that. Like you, I tend to have my coffee in the morning. However, if I am having a full breakfast of eggs, toast, fried potatoes, etc. (which is rare) then nothing beats a piping hot cup of coffee to go along with it. I love my tea as a mid-afternoon break.

When I visit a friend who lives outside of Buffalo, New York we tend to start the day with toast, cereal, and tea and then stop off for a coffee somewhere on the way to wherever we happen to be going.

Today, I don't think there really is as much of a cultural coffee/tea gap between the U.K. and the U.S.A. as there was fifty or sixty years ago and I think that in both countries it's pretty much whatever the individual feels like drinking.

2 11,211
 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(05-19-2013, 03:21 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Hi lads,can you Americans please enlighten me,as a Brit my mainstay hot drink is tea,you can drink it with any meal,apart from a sunday roast type dinner.
To my mind the same can't be said about coffee,I love a cup of coffee first thing in the morning,but I can't see it going with the likes of steak and chips,or bacon and eggs,sweet things like pancakes, yes,but can it go very well with savoury type meals.
Plus before de-caf was invented the American people must have been awake all night.
Please advise.
Sam.

You are right I think, tea can go with most meals, coffee no I think. Tea because of its consistency can quench the thirst coffee no , so I see a big mug or pot of tea with a meal as on target .Brits may nowadays like coffee in the morning because of the caffeine jolt that tea can' deliver. Coffee became popular during the Industrial Revolution when the world sped up changing the Old World tempo of the day, it allows people to keep up and awake to the demands of ever increased work days.

Also coffee unlike tea seems to have a property that suppresses appetite . I drink coffee pretty constantly but for the most part before, after , in place of meals/eating.

15 541
 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM
User Info
Well caffeine is an appetite suppressant.

For me, if I get up early, I must have strong coffee with lots of milk (a latte). As an overall beverage, I much prefer tea. I drink so much iced tea my eyes float. Nothing beats a cup or glass of tea made from fresh dried leaves.

129 6,685
 05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
User Info
I don't have any special equipment to make my coffee,I just use the instant stuff,which to REAL coffee fans is probably seen as a Mortal sin.A mate of mine works in the food industry (the same lad I posted about with the "Worst Haircut Ever", in the Grooming section)) and I always get a good deal from him.
I'm currently on my last 200g jar of "Jacobs Moment" coffee from my pal, which cost me 2 quid a jar,which is just over $3.
I'm just about to take delivery from the same pal of 36x100g jars of Carte Noire coffee,for a quid a throw. They tell me it's good stuff. I looked the price up in my local supermarket and a 200 g jar was over 6 quid.
Sam.

0 79
 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
(05-20-2013, 02:07 AM)geordie sam Wrote: I don't have any special equipment to make my coffee,I just use the instant stuff,which to REAL coffee fans is probably seen as a Mortal sin.A mate of mine works in the food industry (the same lad I posted about with the "Worst Haircut Ever", in the Grooming section)) and I always get a good deal from him.
I'm currently on my last 200g jar of "Jacobs Moment" coffee from my pal, which cost me 2 quid a jar,which is just over $3.
I'm just about to take delivery from the same pal of 36x100g jars of Carte Noire coffee,for a quid a throw. They tell me it's good stuff. I looked the price up in my local supermarket and a 200 g jar was over 6 quid.
Sam.

To be perfectly honest, with all this "Geordie" speak ......

I have NO CLUE if you actually like coffee at all, prefer instant coffee, can't tell the difference between espresso / fresh brewed / an Americano or what. 24

So here are a variety of responses, please pick the appropriate one:

OMG you really like instant? My dad drank that filth.

I am so with you here my friend, instant coffee is nothing more than dried mud water.

So you are a lemonade fan huh? I love fresh lemonade in the summer myself.

Laughing1

129 6,685
 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
Doug,I'm a BIG fan of coffee,I try to drink the best I can afford,but I just use the instant stuff,as I don't have any of the expensive coffee brewing gear.
Sam.

0 79
 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
Instant is convenient, but too much upsets my guts something fierce.

I grind my coffee (Fair Trade and Ecological) on my paternal grandmothers wall mounted coffee grinder - the thing is close to a century old and works great - and for the most part use a midrange drip coffee maker (what we call over here "filterkaffe").

When I'm spoiling myself a little though... I use one of these:
[Image: Moka2.jpg]
Wikipedia tells me it's a "moka pot" - I've always though of them as little bombs that make awesome coffee... and a lot of mess if it's put together wrong Tongue

I also like French Press and Turkish Coffee... but don't often get around to making it that way since the Better Half don't drink coffee.

3 3,562
 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
User Info
(05-20-2013, 09:49 AM)geordie sam Wrote: Doug,I'm a BIG fan of coffee,I try to drink the best I can afford,but I just use the instant stuff,as I don't have any of the expensive coffee brewing gear.
Sam.

Geordie, one does not require expensive brewing gear to enjoy a GREAT cup of Joe. I use an inexpensive French Press (Amazon Link) Some start £5. Use a coarse grind. I just go to my local coffee house, and get some fresh beans and have them grind me a pound (0.5kg give or take). Keep the ground coffee in an air tight container and you are set.

I have a friend who has the Aeropress set, and although £25 or so ..... good lord what a great cup of coffee it makes (for that you use fine ground).

Yar, instant is cheaper ..... but man, nothing beats fresh brewed.

129 6,685
 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Sam, since you are in the U.K., have you ever tried Nescafé Alta Rica coffee? I'm not saying it can compare to regular coffee but it is by far the best instant I have ever had. Nescafé instant here, in fact most major brand instant in the U.S.A., is undrinkable as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: rYZ3Ax3.jpg]

2 11,211
 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM
User Info
Thanks for that Freddy,yes I'm sure I've had it.I think it had a rather rich, strong taste to it if I remember correctly. I know it's VERY expensive as far as instants go.I'm currently also enjoying Kenco Costa Rican,which comes in a jar VERY much like the Nescafe Alta Rica that you have posted above this,same colours used.(if I knew how to put a photo up I would,but sadly I don't)
Sam.

0 79
 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
Thanks Doug for putting me on to Amazon,I will have a look,see what takes my fancy.
Sam.

0 79
 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM
  • Frans
  • Netherlands
User Info
Hi All coffeelovers,

It is so nice to read about all the different ways to make coffee and the systems people use to grind etc. My method is
fairly simple. Years ago, we were in France and we did not have a good set up to make coffee. In a large supermarket we bought a can of Nescafé Vanilla cappucino. (unfortunately we can't find it anymore)As we have a so called "cooker" system at home (boiling water from a faucet)we buy bags of Nescafé normal cappucino. Nobody complains about this kind of coffee and I am addicted to it.But, I also love Starbucks.

0 69
 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nothing like fresh brewed coffee. We currently use a Kuerig which my wife received from the manufacturer as a test. They also included unlimited K Cups for one year. The Kuerig is now ours as part of the testing deal. We love it.

100 12,439