05-18-2013, 08:42 PM
User Info
Hey everybody! I just got home from work and have been thinking about my shave all day. I'm having a hard time getting a good lather with 3 different soaps now so I'm going to try a cream sample I got awhile back, hoping it will help me make a good lather. I honestly just walked through the door so haven't been able to look them up but I wanted to see what people thought of these blades I picked up today from a yard sale on the way to work.

[Image: bladesback.jpg]

[Image: bladesfront.jpg]

Thanks for any input! I'll check back after my S/S/S!

0 6
 05-19-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
Carbon steel blades will form rust on the cutting edge, some may not be visible to the eye and give a most unpleasant shave, 99.9 % of the time carbon blades are not useable, some guy's find they can get an ok shave from them though, I was never one of those guy's.

0 86
 05-19-2013, 05:47 AM
User Info
I have never heard of the blades that you have displayed, but that's hardly unusual, back when DE razors were the norm there were so many manufacturers of blades that there is no way anyone would be able to know them all. Unfortunately you may not get much out of a web search unless some of the brands are particularly loved by folks today, there's just not much call for the cataloguing and testing of the many out of production blades.

While it is true that vintage carbon steel blades can have issues with oxidation, I have found plenty of new old stock blades in perfect condition. It just depends on ow they were stored and if you were lucky enough to get a good batch. I have found that many NOS carbon steel blades provide an amazing shave, but if after a visual inspection you're still concerned with possible oxidation or micro pitting then examine the blades with a loupe.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
Definately carbon. I've only ever used Gillette Super Blue's once and I won't use them again.

1 49