05-19-2013, 01:26 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,can I please talk about the use of foul language in everyday life.I live in a mostly "blue collar" town. When I walk down the street the language I here from adults passing me by,often while with children is unbelievable.
I was brought up never to swear in front of women and children,and I never swore in front of my parents,even when I was a grown man and would go for a few "pints" with my father,you might hear the odd "bloody" but that was it.
Once when I was 15 I had to go and pass a message to my dad from my mother,( my dad was a docker or longshoreman)when a work mate of my dad shouted from one of the ships moored,that I was much f****** bigger than my father,my dad rounded on him telling him not to swear in front of his "son."
This was how I was brought up,and I for one think it was the right way.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-19-2013, 04:45 AM
User Info
It sounds like you were taught to respect other people. A vanishing concept I fear.

Many years ago my uncle who was about 17 or 18 came home and in a fit told his mother to stay out of his "expletive" room. My grand father turned and walked outside. About ten minutes later my uncle waked out the door. When he walked out of the porch my grandfather knocked him upside the head with a two by four. My grandfather never said a word. But my uncle got back to his feet he went in and apologized to his mother and never swore in front of her again.

I never had the urge to swear at my parents Biggrin

6 1,224
 05-19-2013, 06:28 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Everyone has to learn right from wrong. It all starts in the home but respect for parents is a must. Unfortunately in a lot of situations its out of control.

100 12,440
 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM
User Info
I grew up in a blue-collar neighborhood, and hardly ever heard cursing until I was a young adult. Even the men, generally did not curse in front of children, because the women who ruled the roost made it known that there would be (HE double hockey sticks to pay)if a guy swore in front of her kids. Let me just say, that I had one instance at home, where my mother introduce me to the taste of Ivory soap.

At some point as I neared manhood, all of the sudden, it was as if a switch was turned on an all of the sudden, cursing was all over the place. It was truly a sign of coming adulthood, to hear the father's of my friends artfully using curses as wonderful modifiers in their language.

Fast forward years later, as I was attending college at night, and starting to work in more white collar environments. At this point, I firmly believed, as I do now, that to be an educated person, was to not swear in regular conversation. So you can imagined how appalled to see died-in-the-wool middle class managers looking silly and ridiculous as they tried to appear tough by using the same language (a lot less artistically) than the construction workers of my childhood.

Today my feeling is that society has lost something when there is less stigma about swearing in public. All I can think about is that these folks are lucky that the mom's in my neighborhood, aren't around to set them straight. Smile

3 452
 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
It has been said that cowboys "cussed" to take the strain off the liver....but they would never stoop to do it in the presence of women or children.
then, the ears pay the price for the liver's comfort !
yup, I remember the wonderful flavor of Ivory soap when my Mom "cleaned up" my newly found flowery phrases ! Biggrin

0 1,291
 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The devil made me do it and the lord made small bars if Ivory soap. And for you youngsters out there, a small bar of Ivory in the mouth will just about cure anything.

173 23,516
 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I have to admit I swear quite often at times, but never in public and only around certain people. My Mother and Father didn't raise me to be foul mouthed, that was a offense sure to get my legs fired up with a switch.. However, I spent occasional weekends with my much older sisters and aunt who all cursed like sailors and it rubbed off a bit. Also, working 72 hours a week from age 18-26 in a factory amongst some of the most foul mouthed co-workers on the planet didn't help. Biggrin

My aunt was the worse though, she told me a story once about how she, Mom, Dad and I went on a 5-6 hour road trip once when I was about 4 years old. After driving along for a few hours my Mom noticed they were getting dirty looks from other people passing us, she looked in the back seat and my aunt was folding my fingers and teaching me how to do "The Finger" at the other cars..apparently Mom screamed in rage and horror and Dad almost drove off the highway...my aunt still laughs maniacally about that to this day.

Anyway, with relatives like that, it had to rub off a little. Tongue

31 1,510
 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I certainly try not to curse as it usually accomplishes nothing. That doesn't mean I'm always 100% successful. Rolleyes

It looks like you really hit a nerve with this post, Sam. 24

2 11,211
 05-19-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
I worked in the shipyards here in Newcastle as a Boilermaker for a good few years,some of the lads,if you took out the swear words probably didn't utter 100 words in an entire shift,it can be comical at times,but now I have my own catering company I mix with a different crowd,and it just isn't fitting.
Sam.
Oh, and by the way,Imperial Leather(that's a Brit soap) makes lovely mouthwash,thanks mum.

0 79
 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
User Info
(05-19-2013, 07:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: The devil made me do it and the lord made small bars if Ivory soap. And for you youngsters out there, a small bar of Ivory in the mouth will just about cure anything.

Be thankful that it was this ...
[Image: ivory_soap_bar.jpg]

... instead of this!
[Image: lava-soap.jpeg]

I'm just saying! Shok

1 2,827
 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-19-2013, 04:19 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-19-2013, 07:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: The devil made me do it and the lord made small bars if Ivory soap. And for you youngsters out there, a small bar of Ivory in the mouth will just about cure anything.

... instead of this!

I'm just saying! Shok

My 1st grade teacher (public school) used to wash kids mouths out with soap (not sure what kind) around 1973 or so. Entertainment for the whole class. Dodgy She would also dig her fingernails into your head, pull hair...basically anything a pro wrestler or Curly Howard might try. Those days are long gone as that would now lead to a lawsuit in a New York minute.

She was a whack job though...she would also go to her desk, inform us that she was on Mars and that we would need a spacesuit if we wanted to visit her. Laughing1 I was just thankful for the generous buffer zone and had no use for her stinkin' spacesuit.

45 16,313
 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
Personally, I won't cuss in front of women and children (ever). Beyond that... I'm a sailor. Cool

2 546
 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM
User Info
It's always the mothers that dish out the soap ration,never the dads,funny that.
Sam.

0 79
 05-20-2013, 04:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've always considered cussing a sign of a limited vocabulary...

91 17,835
 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(05-20-2013, 04:38 AM)ben74 Wrote: I've always considered cussing a sign of a limited vocabulary...

Same here to be honest...that may be why I started reading so much literature, too expand my vocabulary.

I was raised not to swear and I almost never have. I think I can count the number of times a foul word has come out of my mouth on one hand. That was only due to a conscious choice too! Growing up (I'm 29) kids in elementary were swearing...and honestly as time goes in it's only getting worse. Like Sam touched on, I personally believe it is all due to the example of the parents....well I know it is. Once again in grade school, the kids who swore all the time said their parents allowed them to do it at home, as long as it wasn't directed to the parent (with their mouths...I believed it).

1 608
 05-22-2013, 03:01 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(05-20-2013, 04:38 AM)ben74 Wrote: I've always considered cussing a sign of a limited vocabulary...

Supplementary to a broad vocabulary, too. It can add a nice emphatic flourish when used selectively and expertly. Timing is everything. Language comes in all forms and I find it generally very interesting.

The only swearing I have a strong aversion to is from the mouths of children; parents, anyone??? Otherwise I can take it or leave it. Sometimes it can be very funny actually, but it usually isn't. It's mostly fairly ugly and demonstrates sheer verbal laziness.

0 1,624
 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
User Info
(05-19-2013, 04:19 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:

... instead of this!

I'm just saying! Shok

Wow! Ivory Soap tastes exactly like Arko Shave Stick!!!! LOLTongue

0 295
 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
I cuss far too *&?!# much. But I'm a litigator, and thus I often deal with people who are out to cause me trouble. I usually explain my cussing as "[opposing counsel of the day]-induced Tourette's syndrome."

But I was raised not to cuss in front of women or children. I still try not to do it, especially in front of children. But the flesh is weak.

1 69
 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
Growing up my parents used colorful language on occasion. Because of this I was indulged as long as it was not in public or mixed company.

Personally I would never trust a person who didn't use a few harsh words on occasion. I consider that normal and find it strange (with a few exceptions) for someone in this day and age to be unable to belt one out.

With all the ugly things people do to each other, I am only able to judge a person by their actions, and not by their choice of words. Besides,,... human nature IMO doesn't always make for exclusivity between language and "Who You Are".

A good example would be a politician,,... They can ruin thousands of lives and do so without one colorful word.

Cuss Words are part of Character,,... good, bad, or otherwise. I trust people who allow others to see their true character,,...

1 622
 06-09-2013, 03:24 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
I grown up in traditional family, where respect to women was on first place together with no violence.

My wife always complain I am to nice to people, who offend me. I say I can put them down in appropriate language without screaming and swearing. She knows is true now after few years thats why she always ask me to deal with any kind of problems Smile

Once when I covered night shift for my friend who was on holiday. I said to only girl in plant who work in control room with me that I will take her home because is really no safe to walk in this area at 4am. What happens? I got gossips that I am cheating on my wife and flirting with this girl. Nice payout for being nice....

Similar situation few times happened.

These days you cannot be just nice because people will assume you need have some business in this. Culture disappears....

11 861