05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recently decided to clear up some clutter in my shave den, so I used up a sample packet of T&H Ultimate Comfort pre-shave oil (PSO). I apply a small amount of PSO to my beard area after I get out of the shower. I then face lather my soap or cream with a badger hair brush. The pre-shave oil resulted in a surprising improvement in my shaves, so I picked up a bottle of Musgo Real PSO at a local store. This oil is a little thicker than the T&H, but I have experienced similar results. My skin feels softer post-shave, and I have noticed zero irritation. The results have been so good, I have pulled out some soaps that previously hadn't worked so well for me. With the PSO, these have worked great, too.

Now for the negative. This last week (about week 3 of using PSO with the same two badger brushes), I noticed that I couldn't get a decent lather with L'Occitaine Cade soap. No matter what I tried, the resultant lather was thin, bubbly, and dissipated within about a minute. I tried loading wet, loading dry, loading extra product, loading less, over hydrating the lather, under hydrating the lather, and everything in between. I was about to toss the puck of Cade but decided to test lather it with a brush I hadn't used in a while. This brush whipped up some rich, creamy lather that didn't dissipate - just what I expected from the Cade. At this point, I realized it was the brushes I had been using. And it occurred to me that it could be the PSO affecting the brushes. So I washed the two brushes with some dish soap and soaked them in some diluted vinegar. After doing this, I can whip up a very nice lather from the Cade with them.

So it is my experience that using pre-shave oil can adversely affect your badger shaving brushes by affecting their ability to build a good lather. But this can be remedied by periodically cleaning your brushes with mild dish soap or shampoo. I didn't notice this adverse effect on my brushes until about 10 or so shaves with PSO. My plan is to continue using PSO, but to clean my brushes with dish soap about once a week.

In case anyone wonders, here are the Musgo Real PSO ingredients:

[Image: 8755215126_509f60979a_b.jpg]

43 1,690
 05-19-2013, 10:22 PM
User Info
That's interesting. I use AoS preshave oil on occasion, but not often enough for it to have an effect on my brushes. It would never have occurred to me that residue from the oil could remain on the brush and interfere with the soap, but it makes sense when you think about it. I wonder if the more water soluble preshave gels are capable of causing this issue too.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
User Info
AoS is crap, you can feel it in the bristle of your brush when you get done... I prefer using GFT Skinfood or Shave Secret which costs something like $4 at Walmart and offers a vastly superior experience to AoS and doesn't mess with your brush. I use it with everything including my Jubilee.

0 652
 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
User Info
I like AoS preshave oil well enough to use it occasionally, but not well enough to actually pay for it. I just get samples every now and then. It does what I need it to do, which is to say that it makes my shave smoother. I prefer Billy Jealousy Hydroplane, it's supposed to be a brushless cream, but it works amazingly well as a preshave.

I've seen Shave Secret at HEB and I've heard good things about it, but I have yet to try it. I'll have to pick some up the next time I get groceries. What about TOBS preshave gel? I've heard mixed thoughts about it, but a more water soluble product seems like it might be a good solution.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I had that same experience with my boar brushes and just decided not to use any oil.

173 23,502
 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
Andrew, that is unfortunate. Have you considered not using the oil? Does it improve your shaves that significantly?
Good luck in remedying the situation.

75 20,883
 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'm sold on Shave Secret and have been using it for at least 6 months... It has had no effect on any of my brushes. Badger or Boar.... One of the things going for it is it washes off easily. Plus I never use any more than 4 drops. I massage it well into my wet face and follow with a hot towel.... Then lather. (I face-lather so the loaded brush comes directly into contact with my oiled face).

SHAVE SECRET... TRY IT !!!!

5 1,151
 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'll have to try this shave secret.

Celestino, to answer your question, yes I feel the PSO has taken my shaves to an even better level. I notice it particularly with the way my skin feels later in the day. The effect on the brushes is really no big deal, now that I have figured out what is going on. I just need to shampoo them once every week or so. No big deal.

43 1,690
 05-21-2013, 12:13 AM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
The aroma of cloves is a killer for Shave Secret with me.

5 40