05-19-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,back when I was in my mid-teens,37 years ago to be precise, I went with a mate of mine to get his haircut,it was literally a back street barbers,in fact I think it was his spare room,anyway,the old fella (he must have been in his sixties) clearly didn't have a clue how to cut hair,because when he had finished his attempt, it just looked like a saucepan had been placed on my mates head and he'd cut round it,needless to say,when he did his barber "bit" and held the mirror at the back of my pals head to show him his expertise and handywork,my mate just said in typical British understatement,and not wanting to offend,oh,thank you very much.
And the strangest thing about it was the barber didn't even have a set price for haircutting,he just had a box on the table and you put in what you thought the haircut was worth.
He NEVER went back.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-19-2013, 03:20 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
coulda been worse....he mighta asked for a shave ! Biggrin Scared

0 1,291
 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Heck, Sam, I get haircuts like that now and I am charged a set price, with a tip expected! Laughing1

2 11,211
 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sam, did your friend look anything like this. Smile

[Image: qRhykBk.jpg]

173 23,546
 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My vote for worst haircut goes to this guy...

[Image: 4XFaTaE.jpg]

But who's going to tell him... ?

91 17,853
 05-20-2013, 02:22 AM
User Info
(05-19-2013, 05:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: Sam, did your friend look anything like this. Smile

[Image: qRhykBk.jpg]
Johnny,that's exactly how he looked,just not quite so handsomeSmile
I was going to put in my original post that he looked like a "page boy" from one of those Errol Flynn/Robin Hood films.
Sam.

0 79
 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The worst haircut I ever got was many years ago in Manhattan from a barbershop that was like an assembly line. The barber chopped my hair but thank goodness my hair grows fast and in two weeks it was like nothing happened. Of course for those two weeks I wore a hat. Ha Ha.

100 12,445
 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
Not as much the worst haircut, but the most surprising one:

While on ToD with the UN in South Sudan, I figured I'll ask the barber who was with our Force Protection company from the Bangladesh Army if he would do my hair, partly since the local hairdressers were... lets say less than inviting. To be honest, they were downright scary for a westerner like me. So after talking to the Bangladeshi commander, and being assured by one of my Nepalese UNMOs that the barber spoke good English, I ventured down for a haircut. Apparently - and this was news to me - "a little of the top and trim the neck" translates to "take it all off".

Upside? I learned that a bald head was really nice and cool when its 45C and 100% humidity... so overall a win.

3 3,580
 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
About 3~4 months before high school graduation (1971) I quit cutting my hair & let my moustache & side burns grow. Many of the graduating boys had some pretty shaggy hair - high school had a fairly strict dress code.

Fast forward to 1978. I hadn't had a hair cut in 7 years. The moustache took on a Fu Manchu look & the burns were down to my chin. Neither my wife or kids ever saw me without long hair or facial hair. We moved to a little one-horse town in podunk Utah - not really redneck, but you didn't see many guys with long hair around.

I was not having the best of luck finding a job so I figured it was 'time'. I went down to the only barber shop in town. Bill was a pleasant guy. I guess I didn't really pay much attention to his whitewalls. Come to find out later He spent most of his military career cutting hair. He knew how to do two kinds of haircuts - short & REAL frickin' short! I think I got the short version. He trimmed up the 'stache nicely & gave me 2" burns.

I walked into the house. My wife burst out laughing hysterically! The boys walked in (7 & 2), the oldest said, "Dad?". The youngest one cried - So did I.

I went out job hunting the next day at about 9 am. By 9:15 I was working at the local hardware store.

That's my story, & I'm sticking to it!

~Frank

18 271
 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
When we lived overseas some of my dad's best haircuts came from a barber that was close to the office. It was a guy with a stool in front of a tree and he hung his mirror on the tree. No joke! I have a photo somewhere.

When we first arrived there we lived in the Hilton for 3+ months until our house was done and I remember my mum having my brother hanging his head over the toilet as she gave him a haircut. He wasn't fond of that experience!

My worst haircut was by Ms. Fang, yep that was her name. All the ladies went to Browns Salon by Blok M in Jakarta (Indonesia). Well.... she started to cut my hair and then asked me how I wanted it cut. I hated that haircut and I wouldn't let her cut my hair again. LOL Years later my dad told me why all the ladies wanted her to cut their hair. Well it wasn't a she... but a he and in that day it was something to be seen and experience! I was 8 then and didn't know the difference so she couldn't have been too bad looking as it didn't seem off to me. Even now to this day we have a family laugh at the memory of Ms. Fang....

7 405
 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I think my worst was when i was 14 yrs old.My town had 2 barbershops ,my dad took me to the "best" one.Well I'm a white guy and my hair was naturally curly.The older I got the looser the curls have gotten.At that time they were real curly.Basically I had a fro.The better of the two barbers had an open chair.So there I sat.I remember him (in the mirror) stepping back and looking at my hair and then starting to work.

When he finished the hair on the right side of my head was about a third of an inch shorter than that on the left and the top of my head had low gaps in two or three places.It was horrible.I did not go back to that shop for about 15 years or so.I went to "salons" rather than get butchered like that again.

0 275
 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
(05-20-2013, 01:11 AM)ben74 Wrote: My vote for worst haircut goes to this guy...

[Image: 4XFaTaE.jpg]

But who's going to tell him... ?

Yikes, scarey.

1 49
 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
User Info
i remember back when i cared so much about my hair when i got crappy haircuts it would just totally depress me and i just wouldnt talk to anyone and get really moody sometimes. really glad i invested in a pair of hair clippers and just started buzzing my head. having long hair is a pain anyway.

2 52
 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
(08-21-2013, 10:08 AM)kellenmichael Wrote: i remember back when i cared so much about my hair when i got crappy haircuts it would just totally depress me and i just wouldnt talk to anyone and get really moody sometimes. really glad i invested in a pair of hair clippers and just started buzzing my head. having long hair is a pain anyway.

+1

1 77
 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Many years ago I was living in Brooklyn NY. I brought my wife home from the hospital with our 2 day old son. We were scheduled to have professional photos of our growing family taken in two days. I made sure she was comfortable and then went out to get a haircut at the corner Barber Shop.I told her I would be back in a half hour or so.
I was in the chair and it was half turned away from the door to the street. My hair was half cut when someone stuck their head into the shop and said, "Hey Tony can see you out here for a sec."? The barber said I'll be right back. He stepped out of the shop. Next I heard 2 shots and Tony was dead on the sidewalk.
The detectives took me to the local police station and locked me in an interrogation room. They were convinced I had seen the shooter. I kept telling them I hadn't seen anything and I had a brand new baby home and had to get home. They kept me there for 3 hours in hopes that I would tell them something. Finally, they let me go I got home about 5 hours after I left the house. My wife was frantic. There is still a picture of me, my wife,and new-born son someplace with me having half my hair cut.

57 917
 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-21-2013, 05:14 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Many years ago I was living in Brooklyn NY. I brought my wife home from the hospital with our 2 day old son. We were scheduled to have professional photos of our growing family taken in two days. I made sure she was comfortable and then went out to get a haircut at the corner Barber Shop.I told her I would be back in a half hour or so.
I was in the chair and it was half turned away from the door to the street. My hair was half cut when someone stuck their head into the shop and said, "Hey Tony can see you out here for a sec."? The barber said I'll be right back. He stepped out of the shop. Next I heard 2 shots and Tony was dead on the sidewalk.
The detectives took me to the local police station and locked me in an interrogation room. They were convinced I had seen the shooter. I kept telling them I hadn't seen anything and I had a brand new baby home and had to get home. They kept me there for 3 hours in hopes that I would tell them something. Finally, they let me go I got home about 5 hours after I left the house. My wife was frantic. There is still a picture of me, my wife,and new-born son someplace with me having half my hair cut.

Man... this is the worst memory to have of a barbershop. Do you know what happened there now?

88 4,233
 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-21-2013, 05:23 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 05:14 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Many years ago I was living in Brooklyn NY. I brought my wife home from the hospital with our 2 day old son. We were scheduled to have professional photos of our growing family taken in two days. I made sure she was comfortable and then went out to get a haircut at the corner Barber Shop.I told her I would be back in a half hour or so.

Man... this is the worst memory to have of a barbershop. Do you know what happened there now?
My son just had his 44 birthday I left Ny shortly after his birth and have not been back there since

57 917