04-11-2012, 05:12 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
I've been wetshaving for a year now, and still experience razor bumps/irritation, especially in the cheek areas. I try not to, and don't think I am, pressing down on the razor. I mostly use a basic Merkur but it happens with the couple other razors I have, and regardless of the cream I use (usually Proraso, AOS, or RR creams). Any thoughts or suggestions? AS balm seems to help a bit but I still have redness and irritation. My shaves generally "feel" pretty good BBS but the old complexion could use improvementBiggrin

Thanks, Jeff

Sorry I also should add that I use pre shave oil and do 2 passes - WTG and ATG, occasionally with a touch up.

15 185
 04-11-2012, 05:17 AM
User Info
You might try a less aggressive blade, and/or sliding a block of alum over your face after shaving. I got a bit of bumps when I started using a DE razor, but don't no more.

3 3,575
 04-11-2012, 05:55 AM
User Info
My thought is that your blade may not be sharp enough causing some tug and pull. This always leads to bumps and irritation for me. The other thing could be trying to cut too close with an ATG pass. Maybe try a couple XTG passes and lay off the ATG for awhile.

31 7,914
 04-11-2012, 06:42 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
(04-11-2012, 05:17 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: You might try a less aggressive blade, and/or sliding a block of alum over your face after shaving. I got a bit of bumps when I started using a DE razor, but don't no more.

Thanks I do use alum once I'm done and that definitely helps but I still get some irritation. Unfortunately I need to shave every day so that probably doesn't help matters.Angry

15 185
 04-11-2012, 06:46 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
If you haven't got one yet, get yourself a Edwin Jagger DE89L. this is a mild razor and should be in everyones collection :-)

Use cold water to wash your face after the shave. Cold water closes the pores.

Use a decent aftershave and not one that just smells nice. If my skin is irritated after shaving, I always use Dermalogica Post Shave Balm. Really good stuff. Offcourse there are a lot of good aftershaves available. Get at least one without alcohol and mineral oils.

0 114
 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
(04-11-2012, 06:46 AM)R0B Wrote: If you haven't got one yet, get yourself a Edwin Jagger DE89L. this is a mild razor and should be in everyones collection :-)

Use cold water to wash your face after the shave. Cold water closes the pores.

Use a decent aftershave and not one that just smells nice. If my skin is irritated after shaving, I always use Dermalogica Post Shave Balm. Really good stuff. Offcourse there are a lot of good aftershaves available. Get at least one without alcohol and mineral oils.

That is too funny - I just bought a new DE89L and am expecting to receive it today! Hopefully that will help. Thanks.

15 185
 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Razor bumps are generally caused by hairs that want to grow back into the face. This can be caused by ATG passes that cut the hair at or slightly below the skin line.

Some things to try:
  1. Slow down and check your blade angle carefully. This is the "make sure it's really plugged in correctly" of shaving troubleshooting IMO.
  2. cold water shave. This keeps your skin less stretchy and may result in a cleaner cut without tugging.
  3. Do two opposite XTG passes and leave ATG out.
  4. When you say it happens on your cheeks, do you by chance mean over the teeth, in the "hollow" of your cheeks? I had a problem w/ razor burn in that area because the lack of bones underneath for support was causing me to push too hard when following the curve. Experimenting with stretching the skin (through facial contortions and/or pulling w/ your free hand) can help if that's the case.

10 1,858
 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would also suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89L. Also, try using an aftershave splash with alcohol. I use one after every shave. It will kill the infection that can be created when shaving. And if you are expirencing razor burn and irritation
you have created an infection that needs to be dealt with. You can still use a little bit of balm or a good moisturizer if dry skin is a problem for you. Try the Proraso Splash or the Speick aftershave splash. These are both good healing aftershave's at a good price. Plus, I think you will love the scents.

45 3,955
 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:09 AM)Songwind Wrote: Razor bumps are generally caused by hairs that want to grow back into the face. This can be caused by ATG passes that cut the hair at or slightly below the skin line.

Some things to try:
  1. Slow down and check your blade angle carefully. This is the "make sure it's really plugged in correctly" of shaving troubleshooting IMO.
  2. cold water shave. This keeps your skin less stretchy and may result in a cleaner cut without tugging.
  4. When you say it happens on your cheeks, do you by chance mean over the teeth, in the "hollow" of your cheeks? I had a problem w/ razor burn in that area because the lack of bones underneath for support was causing me to push too hard when following the curve. Experimenting with stretching the skin (through facial contortions and/or pulling w/ your free hand) can help if that's the case.

The hollow of the cheek area - maybe I am pushing too hard. I'll try to stretch the skin there and maybe that'll help. Thanks!

15 185
 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 09:27 AM)Qhead Wrote:
(04-11-2012, 07:09 AM)Songwind Wrote: Razor bumps are generally caused by hairs that want to grow back into the face. This can be caused by ATG passes that cut the hair at or slightly below the skin line.

Some things to try:

The hollow of the cheek area - maybe I am pushing too hard. I'll try to stretch the skin there and maybe that'll help. Thanks!

Or slightly puff your cheeks out...

9 1,199
 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
You should really nix the ATG pass and just go XTG after a WTG.

0 372
 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
User Info
[quote='Williams Warrior' pid='17349' dateline='1334171298']
You should really nix the ATG pass and just go XTG after a WTG.

+1 You may want to consider some unrefined Shea Butter to help heal and alleviate the irritation. Works beautifully!
Cold water shaving, less pressure, different blades possibly. Good luck.

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 10:35 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Or slightly puff your cheeks out...

This is what I do, and it seems to have stopped my bumps.

1 223
 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info

Some things to try:
Very good advice.

I'd also suggest, if you haven't done so already, you "map" your hair growth and learn where shave direction or pressure needs to be watched more closely. If I get careless with some specific areas on my neck, I'll burn for hours no matter the post-shave treatment. Best of luck, my friend. Better every day.

35 2,703
 04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Guys thanks much for all of the thoughtful advice. Got the DE89L and first shave was pretty sweet. Over the next few weeks I am going to try different blades, less pressure, and XTG (rather than against), etc. A work in progress, right? Another testament to YMMV Cool

15 185
 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
Try Skin Smooth by BlackSolutions (blacksolutions.com). This is a wonder solution that cures ingrown hair, razor bumps and helps to prevent them from recurring. Has high performing active ingredients to really solve the problem. A keratin protein attaches to the hair and softens the hair follicle. Once the hair grows and curls, it does not have the power to penetrate into the skin.

http://blacksolutions.com/shop/skin-smoo...ution-4oz/

0 1
 04-14-2012, 07:40 AM
User Info
A lot of people who have issues should try going without the ATG pass/es. No, you won't get the BBS shave we all hope to get but two XTG passes will get you close and should help minimize bumps. ZERO pressure as many have said. Just guide the razor.

0 24
 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM
  • Kostas
  • SW suburb of Chicago
User Info
Proraso makes an ASB specifically for irritation and razorburn. In the instances when I'm a little overzealous, I've found this helps tremendously. A lot of good suggestions above too!

0 47
 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
User Info
Have you mapped your hair growth? If you have not, then it is really not possible to know what WTG XTG AGT is .... This is one of the first things I did to fix the same problem a few years ago when I started this wonderful journey. Once you do you will know how to proceed.

5 413
 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
User Info
Lots of helpful information here. If none of these advices work, I have an idea: Try a five blade razor.. And then come back and you'll be happy with your DE results Biggrin

All joking aside, try to rinse your face before the shave with a soap that has peeling effect. This may help sometimes.

4 365