05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hello all,

For the past few months I have been doing my own variation of blind blade testing for the purpose of finding a blade that is cheaper than my current favorite, Polsilver Super Iridiums, but still shave just as well.

My requirements were not nearly as strict as those in the DE Blade Challenge. I figure if I might be switching out razors and blades somewhat randomly, then I will continue that. On top of that, I didn't limit myself to one soap, though I did mostly use soaps I knew and loved.

My lovely girlfriend assisted me in changing the blades in my razors and writing down the name of each for me to look at after I was finished.

I created a simple spreadsheet to track my progress. I wanted a blade that would last comfortably for 5 shaves without tugging or irritation. I made a column for the blade number, 5 columns for the days, and a final column with the blade name once I discovered it. For the Day columns I marked it green for a great shave, yellow for sub par, and red for downright bad. Simple, yet effective.

Well, here are my results!
[Image: 5aH0Mi4l.png]

Easy to read I hope. Unfortunately my girlfriend had to leave to work back in Washington for the summer so I was unable to get through all 23 blade, but on the bright side I'm already quite familiar with a majority of them and can draw my own conclusions.

I've already ordered 100 of each of the Gillette SharpEdge and Personna Supers from Phil, both of which are significantly cheaper than the Polsilver SIs.

I plan on trying out the Bolzano blade at some point in the near future as they have some good reviews.

That is all, thanks!

35 1,732
 05-19-2013, 10:50 PM
User Info
Great work and lovely chart, Anthony!
Thanks for posting this!Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM
User Info
Great work! Curious is you looked at the Silver Blues? I actually prefer these to the SharpEdge and the Polsilvers.

Sorry, now I see them.

47 1,112
 05-20-2013, 05:49 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Thanks for sharing! I don't have the patience to test all these blades out, so I love reading tests like these.

13 599
 05-20-2013, 08:42 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-20-2013, 05:49 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: Thanks for sharing! I don't have the patience to test all these blades out, so I love reading tests like these.

It was a pretty fun and interesting experience actually and I'm glad I did it. Hopefully the blades I ordered price to continually give me good shaves.

35 1,732
 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
Well done Anthony. I've been looking forward to reading your results and your presentation was clear, concise, and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing this with us.

31 7,912
 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
That is very cool man! It takes some serious dedication to commit to this sort of thing, something I would like to do in the future. If you plan on continuing this at some point you may try to revisit the blades that came up short just to make sure you weren't judging a dud. Curious if you tossed the blades after five days regardless of necessity or did you continue to use the "winners" undocumented?

127 2,377
 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-20-2013, 10:56 AM)blzrfn Wrote: That is very cool man! It takes some serious dedication to commit to this sort of thing, something I would like to do in the future. If you plan on continuing this at some point you may try to revisit the blades that came up short just to make sure you weren't judging a dud. Curious if you tossed the blades after five days regardless of necessity or did you continue to use the "winners" undocumented?

I tossed them after 5 days regardless. That's the max I hope to achieve with a blade, as that's usually the number of times I shave per week. I will certainly be seeing just how long I can push the Personna and SharpeEdge when I get them though.

35 1,732
 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
Most interesting...thanks for sharing.

Ed

19 697
 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
Excellent! Your work will pay off in the long run when others mention the characteristics of those blades. You will have a good frame of reference to compare by rather than memory alone.

1 2,827
 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
User Info
Tonality -

Thanks for sharing this info, and your persistence in creating it. I am puzzled about the identification of one of the items you rate green for five days.

On the top line of the chart, you identify the "Perma-Sharp." Does that mean the Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless manufactured in India? Does it mean the Perma-Sharp Super manufactured in St Petersburg?

Thanks for clarifying.

15 316
 05-21-2013, 06:02 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-21-2013, 05:54 PM)slackskin Wrote: Tonality -

Thanks for sharing this info, and your persistence in creating it. I am puzzled about the identification of one of the items you rate green for five days.

On the top line of the chart, you identify the "Perma-Sharp." Does that mean the Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless manufactured in India? Does it mean the Perma-Sharp Super manufactured in St Petersburg?

Thanks for clarifying.

Those would be the latter, the Perma-Sharp Super from Russia.

35 1,732
 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
Tony -

Thanks for the above answer, but I am still unclear. Must be dense today. the Perma-Sharp Super is listed as Mystery Blade #5. So are we also saying it is Mystery Blade #1?

My real question should have been phrased "What was mystery blade #1?"

Sorry if this is irritating, but I want to get this clear in mind.

Thanks again.

15 316
 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-21-2013, 07:34 PM)slackskin Wrote: Tony -

Thanks for the above answer, but I am still unclear. Must be dense today. the Perma-Sharp Super is listed as Mystery Blade #5. So are we also saying it is Mystery Blade #1?

My real question should have been phrased "What was mystery blade #1?"

Sorry if this is irritating, but I want to get this clear in mind.

Thanks again.

Not irritating at all. Honestly I'm slightly confused as well. There may have been a hiccup in the recording. I do know it wasn't a Gillette though. Best answer I can give unfortunately!

35 1,732
 05-21-2013, 11:09 PM
User Info
Interesting findings and a simple yet effective charting system. Cool!

I do have a question... You say that the Personna "hospital use" blades are cheaper than the SI, I assume you mean the lab blues, correct? The "med preps" cost the same as the Iridiums.

63 2,128
 05-22-2013, 05:13 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I would like to see your results "double blind" between the Personna Med Preps and the Personna Lab Blues.

There's been more than a bit if conversation regarding those...as to whether they are of the same shaving quality or not.

29 466
 05-22-2013, 06:28 AM
User Info
Sounds good to me, Tony. I have read good things about the Perma-sharp Supers, and have a couple of tucks, but have yet to try them. So many blades, so little time.

15 316
 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-22-2013, 05:13 AM)Samjax Wrote: I would like to see your results "double blind" between the Personna Med Preps and the Personna Lab Blues.

There's been more than a bit if conversation regarding those...as to whether they are of the same shaving quality or not.

Come September I can do that, I have some of the ones labeled "for hospital use" and some of the regular Supers. Would be fascinating indeed!

(05-21-2013, 11:09 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Interesting findings and a simple yet effective charting system. Cool!

I do have a question... You say that the Personna "hospital use" blades are cheaper than the SI, I assume you mean the lab blues, correct? The "med preps" cost the same as the Iridiums.

Yes, I think you are right. I've read them being the same blade, or not, so took the chance and ordered the cheaper ones.

35 1,732
 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
Thanks for clarifying. I too have read that they are the same blade overall. The packaging (blade wrapper) is identical as far as I can tell.

63 2,128
 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
What razor were you using? Surely that would significantly affect the results? I find Gillette Super Thins superb in an English Fat Handle Tech, for example. You may have said what razor, but I can't see that.

0 1,623